• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

DMC 1450 for sale in Davis Ca. Help out California!!

socal4t12

Please buy this and help California out of debt.

Like I said earlier, it is being sold in Davis Ca (15 minutes West of Sacramento on I-80) at the DGS equipment yard. They have 2 auctions each month. The cat should be coming up within 30 days. You must continue to look at the dates listed on the site for the license plate number (402682) to find out when the exact auction date will take place.

http://www.ofa.dgs.ca.gov/Auction/default.htm

If you want more info, call the number listed for Bob Turk. He is the auction manager.

This cat has a total of 200.6 hours on the meter!!!! Like new rubber belting, wheels, and drive sprockets. All of the service records were in a book behind the passenger seat. The cargo box will hold 2-3 the way it is, but 4 is you modify it. The blade is an 8-way blade fully functioning. The trailer is solid, build by a place in Ramona Ca. Everything about this cat looked GREAT!!!! No leaks, no field fixes, no crap.

This is a awesome find! whoever gets it will have a VERY nice rig on their hands.

Attachments

• DSC00432.jpg
    DSC00432.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 1,800
  • DSC00434.jpg
    DSC00434.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 1,380
  • DSC00437.jpg
    DSC00437.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 1,361
  • DSC00441.jpg
    DSC00441.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 1,368
  • DSC00442.jpg
    DSC00442.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 1,352
  • DSC00443.jpg
    DSC00443.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 1,365

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
What is a reasonable price for those?

When I worked for the State I witnessed and reviewed a similar equipment auction. This was part of 'preventive auditing', letting everybody know once in a while that everything you do in an official capacity gets looked at sooner or later. California government is amazingly clean compared to what I read about some of the other states, and this is one of the tools that prevents 'fraud, waste, abuse' from ever getting started.

Anyhow - the point I was getting at, is that I didn't see any bargains go down. For every piece of equipment, snowplows, cranes, 10-wheel dumps, bulldozers, the operators and shop repairmen were intimately familiar with each piece because they had lived with it for years and knew all its quirks. Even how recently it got a battery or tuneup.

And these pros might bid themselves or coach a bidder they brought along, right up to fair market value. Then half the time some outsider would outbid these insiders. I think the State got top dollar, which is in the taxpayer's interest. I'm not convinced the buyer of any piece got a bargain.

After asking a lot of questions about the process, I wrote up a clean report on that whole auction cycle. Your Tax Dollars At Work.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
if you are looking for a turn key operation that might be a good deal even at fair market value because i have seen a lot of junk out there with some high prices.

I love the rear tie down they are using! California must have less strict load securing regulations than most.:yum:

Very nice looking cat and it actually has a 12 way blade which is pretty rare on an imp.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
I love the rear tie down they are using! California must have less strict load securing regulations than most.:yum:

Very nice looking cat and it actually has a 12 way blade which is pretty rare on an imp. dont go there remember the last tie down debate besides you know that california is more worried about what is comming out of your tail pipe

Last edited by a moderator:

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter

That's just a standard case of California double standard.... nail the civilians :doh::hammer:... give flexibilities to the government brothers. :flowers: wait a minute... that's not just Cali...that's all states! :w00t2:

Hypocracy at it's finest.

Ooops...sorry..tangent... yea, this little Imp would rock.
Luv the blade... anyone buys the Imp and doesn't want that heavy blade up front... I'll buy it.

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
Tomorrow (Wednesday 3/17) I will drive past Davis. If any SERIOUS interested buyer needs pictures or something in person THAT THEY COULD NOT OBTAIN BY THEIR OWN EMAIL OR PHONE CALL then I could stop by there.

My wife will go nuts over this delay to our trip, so I'm not offering to just go take the same photos that socal already posted. (And I know nothing about snowcats so I'm not the one to make a technical appraisal).

PM me if this something that you need done. But first, determine their address, hours, who I can call to confirm, etc.

I will likely also go by there next Wednesday 3/24 so that date is open too.

Comment on condition: For that State disposal auction I worked, everything was end-of-life relative to economically rational repair in a government shop with its high operating costs. Nothing was 'surplus property', it was all stuff retired from service after buying new was cheaper, or more reliable for critical use. Think used cop cars! And every nonprofit educational institution in the state can grab stuff before it is handed over to the auction.

After closely observing that auction plus 20 years generally aware of similar ones, I came up with a metaphor, not so much for rolling equipment but for computers, electronics, furniture, every kind of sub-assemblies etc.: "Nothing goes to auction before it has been strapped to a pallet and left out in the rain for at least two winters while they decide if they will regret disposing of it. Only after the pallet load is irretrievably weathered and shabby can it be released for auction. If anything were ever auctioned while it is still usable, somebody will get in trouble for offing usable stuff, or worse, be accused of declaring it surplus so he can secretly buy it cheap".

Considering California's revenue crisis I don't understand why they are offing this unless it is beyond maintainable. 'Why' is the first question I would ask the disposal agency. If they don't know, they will provide you the contact person in the maintenance shop, or the snow-survey project manager etc who was responsible for this item. I would find that individual and quiz him thoroughly. Finding him may be a hassle but in my experience once you get to the responsible person, you will get helpful answers.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Tomorrow (Wednesday 3/17) I will drive past Davis. If any SERIOUS interested buyer needs pictures or something in person THAT THEY COULD NOT OBTAIN BY THEIR OWN EMAIL OR PHONE CALL then I could stop by there.

Chris I don't care what your wife says about you :hide: :poke: That is dang generous of you. :thumb:

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Cali, can you stop by and check and see if there is a cup holder in the cab for me? I'm really serious but the cup holder is a deal breaker. :shifty:

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter
...and when you check ... could you confirm that it's an ORIGINAL cup holder by DMC please?

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter
I'd just like to take a moment to thank PBinWA for his avatar... it just really is so very special and appreciated by all! And anyone that doesn't appreciate it... go pound sand!
Sorry...let me memorialize the beauty...

Attachments

• thdancinggirlrr2.gif
    thdancinggirlrr2.gif
    909.1 KB · Views: 1,243
Last edited:

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I'd just like to take a moment to thank PBinWA for his avatar... it just really is so very special and appreciated by all! And anyone that doesn't appreciate it... go pound sand!
Sorry...let me memorialize the beauty...

:biggrin: It makes it more fun to visit the site - at least for me! :whistling:

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter
Ooops...sorry, didn't mean to get us off topic...back to more attractive things... how bout that 1450 Imp? 200.6 hrs. ;)

peter keg

Much cooler than the car built by DeLorean.Deffinatly better in the snow.I want it,But oh wait have an st4.I guess I'm good

socal4t12

The question came up as to why the State is getting rid of such a fine cat. Here it is......

The Governor demanded a huge cut in every State department, including CAL-FIRE. DGS (incharge of all the vehicle fleet) went after all light duty vehicle that traveled less than 250 miles or 250 hours in a year. The next thing they went after was a reduction in the amount of light duty cars/trucks. They tried to take all of the utilities from our fire stations, but the Governor stopped that. Next they began hunting down all the equipment that could be rented on the local market at the time of need (back hoes, dump trucks, generators, chippers, ect). After that they went for all the vehicles that could be removed, and replaced by a contractor at the time of need (snow cats, trailers, graders, ect). They tried to come after our fire dozers, but again the Governor stepped in and saved us.

The end result is ALOT of vehicles coming out of Fish & Game, Corrections, State Parks, Cal-Fire, Cal-Trans, and all the other State offices. Over the next year, the auction yard will be flooded with these vehicles. Most are in very good condition, as the State has strong maintenance standards. The sad part is that ALL of our out dated (but good condition fire engines, crew buses, heavy equipment can not be sold in the State due to new diesel EPA regulations. There are about 75 fire engines slatted to be hauled out of State and sold dirt cheap. About 40 of those are monster 4x4 rigs (IH DT466, and 4600 series). A true shame.

Whoever gets that cat is getting a great deal! Good luck and keep everyone informed. For those of you out of State, Im sure that if enough calls go out to the auction manager, Bob, he will put it up for internet bidding as well.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
The question came up as to why the State is getting rid of such a fine cat. Here it is......

The Governor demanded a huge cut in every State department, including CAL-FIRE. DGS (incharge of all the vehicle fleet) went after all light duty vehicle that traveled less than 250 miles or 250 hours in a year. The next thing they went after was a reduction in the amount of light duty cars/trucks. They tried to take all of the utilities from our fire stations, but the Governor stopped that. Next they began hunting down all the equipment that could be rented on the local market at the time of need (back hoes, dump trucks, generators, chippers, ect). After that they went for all the vehicles that could be removed, and replaced by a contractor at the time of need (snow cats, trailers, graders, ect). They tried to come after our fire dozers, but again the Governor stepped in and saved us.

The end result is ALOT of vehicles coming out of Fish & Game, Corrections, State Parks, Cal-Fire, Cal-Trans, and all the other State offices. Over the next year, the auction yard will be flooded with these vehicles. Most are in very good condition, as the State has strong maintenance standards. The sad part is that ALL of our out dated (but good condition fire engines, crew buses, heavy equipment can not be sold in the State due to new diesel EPA regulations. There are about 75 fire engines slatted to be hauled out of State and sold dirt cheap. About 40 of those are monster 4x4 rigs (IH DT466, and 4600 series). A true shame.

Whoever gets that cat is getting a great deal! Good luck and keep everyone informed. For those of you out of State, Im sure that if enough calls go out to the auction manager, Bob, he will put it up for internet bidding as well.
sound slike those enviromental wacko's are costing you all a bunch of money i can't think of a more reliable engine than the dt466and if its the old mechanical injection engine it can be rebuilt until you are old aand grey and still run good imhop there isn't a more cost effective engine to have in a class 5 or 6 truck

socal4t12

I agree. The Dt 466, 4600 are great trucks,,,,remove the fire build up and you have a nice 4x4 monster. Even the 4x2 are nice. There will be alot of For cab-overs as well with the CAT 3208 engine and JD 6 cylinder industrial pump engine. Ive never seen any of them blow up.

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter
I was wondering when this was...thanks for reminding.
I'm sure some folks are wishing no one bumps it. ;)
Looks to be a fantastic unit! Curious what it goes for.

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter

Looks like it's in-person/on-site bidding only, eh?

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter
There are two points to this 1450 with 200 hrs on it:

1) It may be a deal... if it is then great.
2) It's rare to find one with so few hours on it, a full cab, with blade, etc... it's a sweet machine.

So, in part, even if it's not a deal... it's a great machine!
Just called... it's not on internet auction and not up for phone bid... have to be there in person unfortunately.

Anybody live nearby? I bet socal gonna buy it.

Well I'll let you all know tomorrow... I passed on the field trip with a friend that's heading up to Sacramento.

FYI TNT has an Auction in Reno 4/17 with a DMC 1202 with ~4600 hrs and it will be a online auction.