• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

imp vs super imp

cabinboy

Ok which one is better than the other and why ? I am trying to make my mind up as to which one would work better . I really like the auto trans, of the 1450. so the wife can drive it to and from the cabin. So I WOULD LIKE YOUR INFO. PS. It will be used primarly at 8300 ft elev. Thanks Charlie.

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
The auto trans is best for a family type snow cat. The little Imp is just a time tested a well proven design in either style, but the auto in the Super makes it easier and nicer to drive for everyone along with more top speed in most conditions.

Just watch Mikey go and go and go....:yum: I am referring to SnoOps and his videos... :thumb:

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
The Super Imp is a tad longer and the front wheel is the idler so you don't have any "Climb" of the track. The Imp has a raised Idler in the front so you have a bit more transition for going though deep snow.

The Super Imp has a bit more track length on the ground and rides a tad better on rough trails, but maybe not enough to sway you either way... Kinda like being pushed off a tall building verses jumping...results at the bottom are pretty much the same...

The Automatic Transmission is a plus on a hilly trail, in my Imp I am always gearing up and down with the V-4 and standard trans. The Automatic Trans is just that and with the six cylinder in the Super Imp, it has more power with little effort for doing the hills and your wife would enjoy that.

Either one will get you where you want to go.

I may be selling my Imp shortly, I had a friend call me tonight and wanted to know if I wanted to buy his Tucker so I will be checking it out shortly. It has a 318 Chrysler in it and low hours so it is tempting... and I don't need two critters..

Thiokol2track

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
The auto trans is best for a family type snow cat. The little Imp is just a time tested a well proven design in either style, but the auto in the Super makes it easier and nicer to drive for everyone along with more top speed in most conditions.

Just watch Mikey go and go and go....:yum: I am referring to SnoOps and his videos... :thumb:

I watched Mikey go in the videos...seems he needs the auto:poke:

cabinboy

Thanks for all of the good info guys . It sounds like the 1450 with the auto trans. is the way to go so far. Some say the 1450 will not go as good as the 1404 in deep powder snow, do you think that is true ? I am still not sure , they both sound like good machines except for the weak rear end in the 1404.

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
Thanks for all of the good info guys . It sounds like the 1450 with the auto trans. is the way to go so far. Some say the 1450 will not go as good as the 1404 in deep powder snow, do you think that is true ? I am still not sure , they both sound like good machines except for the weak rear end in the 1404.

They both have pluses, the 1404 has a front that "Ramps up" on the track, the 1450 has a tire for a front idler that doesn't allow it to "roll up" on the snow verses smashing it down..

I have made a dozen +- or so trips on 80 mile round trip runs to my cabin and don't have any real problems with the C4 trans, thought I was wrong once... but I was right... I found what I thought was metal flakes in the oil, but it was the normal wear off the steering brakes. And I have hauled some pretty good sized loads with it and it did fine.

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter
Fog... I would have sent this to you but given it's in Maine it's probably a wee-bit far away....
Anyway, this Super Imp sounds nearly new... I'd side with one of these given the OC12 but as you said, your C4 has done well. I'll eventually need to get one of these but that's further down the road.

http://maine.craigslist.org/rvs/565549392.html

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
Fog... I would have sent this to you but given it's in Maine it's probably a wee-bit far away....
Anyway, this Super Imp sounds nearly new... I'd side with one of these given the OC12 but as you said, your C4 has done well. I'll eventually need to get one of these but that's further down the road.

http://maine.craigslist.org/rvs/565549392.html

For less than 200 hours on it, it sure has taken a beating under the passenger door.

Pretty pricey for that one, must be like new everywhere else, so why the off paint job?

I noticed that one has the smaller Idler wheel in the front, that would make it better in the deep snow than the super Imp I had with a "fifth" wheel in the front for the track to roll over.

I was going to ask about $8,000.00 for mine if I am going to get the Tucker that I was looking at, and all mine needs is a paint job, maybe for a couple cans of paint, I can mark it up a few more (5 or 6) thousand! :yum:

cabinboy

I thought the imp. in maine was just a little high priced it did look like it is in good shape . I think the delivery charge to wy. would not be cheap either. it did look like a nice unit for some one on the east coast.

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
I thought the imp. in maine was just a little high priced it did look like it is in good shape . I think the delivery charge to wy. would not be cheap either. it did look like a nice unit for some one on the east coast.

I asked him to send me some photos and all I get are the outside, nothing of the inside even though I asked for them and a shot of the dash... None of the photos are very high res so no detail. Something isn't right for a machine that has low hours you don't want to show detail on... Not to mention that it way too high for an Imp that doesn't have gold plating like mine....:thumb:

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Having just recently completed two long trips 102 miles on the first trip and 52 miles on the second with between 1,000 amd 1,500 lbs on the cargo bed and two men I can say the Super Imp is a fantastic performer overall. In fact I feel its probaly the best cabin access Snowcat out there. Its faster than most. Carries allot of gear. Can be configured with a passenger cabin. Great machine! I have been in all types of terrain with all types of snow. Deep deep powder. Wet sticky snow/ice, and allot of side hilling. I will be sending some vids to BobP so he can post them.

cabinboy

I saw some of the pictures of your trip and they looked great , hope to see more of them . I think you guys are right a 1450 imp would work for me just fine ,now I just have to find the right one .

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
GET the WT or WIDE TRACK model! Plus the Super Imps have the oc12 rear diff which is the best rear diff that I know of to date in any snowcat. STRONG.