• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

How is your city's Water?

humor_me

Are you blessed with good tasting water? Or cursed with rusty well water?
Are there RO water kiosks all over the place? And are they making a killing?

:toilet:

This smilie is perfect to describe our water supply. Not only is it very hard, but our supply, the Rio Grande River is used by Mexico as their dumping ground. The cities across the border dump their raw effluent into the river - just upstream of the intake of our city. This is besides the half dozen dead mojados (wetbacks) who drown a month trying to get here illegally that the Border Patrol find.
Oh, BTW, the water is death on your plumbing also (the local plumbers keep busy repairing the copper pipes that the geniuses require to meet the local building code).
IF you don't think about it, it has a fair taste and can be tolerated for showering, laundry and brushing your teeth.

That is, until you taste the water from the RO kiosk.

If you DO think about it, (you know, you are drinking what came from someone's toilet about two days ago) BLECHhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!:puke1:

So,
Comments, Concerns, Complaints about your water.
Please tell me your water sucks too!
(I'd hate to think I have the worst water in the world)

No, I'm NOT going to sell you a water system - promise.

Archdean

"So,
Comments, Concerns, Complaints about your water.
Please tell me your water sucks too!
(I'd hate to think I have the worst water in the world)

No, I'm NOT going to sell you a water system - promise."

It's great, 400' deep well seems to never end and some 300' from a 60,000 acre lake encompassing 1600 miles of shore line!! Which I can and do pump w/o charge an unlimited amount of water from for irrigation!

Yep, it sounds like you have the worst water on planet!! Sorry:rolleyes:

Dean

BadAttitude

The water we had when we lived in Phoenix was just as bad...
:puke1: :puke1: :puke1: so don't feel like your the only one. In fact IIRC, CA has some water issues too. Now if you want to sample some really NASTY water... go to Morocco, Spain or France. That shid will put you in the hospital!!!

Now I live in southern New England and have a 150' well. Endless supply of clean spring water.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
BadAttitude said:
Now I live in southern New England and have a 150' well. Endless supply of clean spring water.

I too have a well with veins at 85' and 135', plenty water. I only run a sediment filter. Now that they drilled the gas well, I'm now guaranteed the same water quality I had before the drill. If my water or it's quality goes to chit, the drilling company has to restore or supply filtration.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Our city water is good.
Our well water is fair. It's a bit hard.

I run both through the water conditioner and all is well. (no pun intended).

I switch back and forth between the well and city supply.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Where I lived before, I had absolutely excellent well water from a 225' deep well. I understand that is a fairly deep residential well. It was great and we never had any shortage. The pump went out once and that really sucked! It was a 220 volt 1 1/2 horse pump and, they aren't cheap.

Where I live now, there used to be a landfill about 4 miles from me. I live between where that was and the Ohio River. The ground water flows towards the river. Although some people around me have well water, I wouldn't consider it. I'd be afraid that one of my kids would have been born with 3 legs or something. :eek: Fortunately, our city water is good here and is relatively inexpensive. I have a 2 1/2" water line that I ran back to my house off of the city's 12" main that is about 1000 feet away. I have good water, plenty of it, and plenty of pressure.

Chief

I am on a series of 2 wells joined together as the original well (about 175 ft. deep) runs dry during the mid summer. The water from the original well is very good and clear although a tad hard. The new well (about 125 ft. deep) joined to the the sytem started off pretty cloudy and had a LOT of sediment but I ran it out alot to flush it out and installed a 1 micron water filter to treat our drinking water. Later the next year, we are going to add in a 1,000 gallon cement water tank cystern.

What exactly is the problem with your water? I may be able to point out a few things you can do to remedy or at least mitigate the problem.

Chief

buy_25 said:
Our city water is pretty good. Low chlorine, low TDS etc. Our supply data is all here:
http://www.cityofwestfield.org/pdfs/12+2004CCR.pdf

I could never have a well. I have water all "under me" and mnay have wells; but, I go through about 120,000 gallons of water a year!!!

Depending upon the size of your family/household; that is not an unreasonable amount of water to use in a year. A typical family of 5 goes through nearly 500 gallons per day.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
€hieƒ™ said:
Depending upon the size of your family/household; that is not an unreasonable amount of water to use in a year. A typical family of 5 goes through nearly 500 gallons per day.
Wow. I guess we're not typical. Our family of 4 goes through about 100-125 gallons/day and probably 1/2 of that is the clothes washer (since it uses about 50 gallons/load).

Chief

bczoom said:
Wow. I guess we're not typical. Our family of 4 goes through about 100-125 gallons/day and probably 1/2 of that is the clothes washer (since it uses about 50 gallons/load).

Not saying we go through that much water but when you figure laundry, dishwasher, showers, drinking water, seasonal use around the house outside, etc., it adds up fast.

I live with the wife and 3 daughters :eek: ........... you can imagine the hell I went through trying to instill the concept of taking an "Army Field Shower" into 4 women when our original well started running dry. :D When the water ran out and they had to wait 90 minutes for the Pump Tech to kick the well pump back on again, I think they came around to me view point. A very short or even a cold shower is better than none. :drama: :rtfm:

humor_me

Man you guys make me miss my childhood. I grew up on well water - well until I was 10 or so. It was the best tasting water I've ever had. Then, one day the ______ (whatever department/ authority) condemned the well and we had to go with city water.

Yes, our water is expensive - until you find out about the town 20 mile to our west. There, people have $1,200.00 a month water bills. (That is not a typo.) At least until the Fed put an injunction on them from cutting anyone's water off for nonpayment during the investigation.
And they also only let you water lawns etc. 3 times a week. Home car washes are banned. Not to mention they have about 8 water police who patrol around watching for sprinklers that are leaking, or misadjusted and watering the sidewalk. A too green lawn will also get a stop from these assholes too.

Do you ever get the feeling that we have WAY too much government?

Chief

With water prices that high; it might be far cheaper in the long run to drill your own well if you have enough land to get the drilling rig where you want it. Then you could tell the water police to kiss your ass! As long as your well is not connected to the city water supply in anyway; there is not much they can say about it. You could at least use your well water for everything else except drinking water or just buy your drinking water or run your well water through a small ROPU.

buy_25

Banned
€hieƒ™ said:

120,000 gallons per year is for 2 people. I use a lot of water for my lawn (over 1 acre with sprinklers). The spring and summer use 75% of it. With 80 PSI on outlets, it goes fast for gpm...

buy_25

Banned
€hieƒ™ said:
With water prices that high; it might be far cheaper in the long run to drill your own well if you have enough land to get the drilling rig where you want it. Then you could tell the water police to kiss your ass! As long as your well is not connected to the city water supply in anyway; there is not much they can say about it. You could at least use your well water for everything else except drinking water or just buy your drinking water or run your well water through a small ROPU.

[font=&quot]I agree. Our water bill for the year (added up quarterly) is about $240 for 120k gallons. That is high since it was FREE a few years ago. [/font]

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Well water here and I'm up on a mountain with maybe only 1 septic field above our well. It's pretty good, I've got a simple GE household filter that seems to remove all the rust.

I avoid drinking city water as I think it turns you into a liberal thinking people loving drone. I've been much more conservative and independent since I started living on well water.

:flame2:

Well, septic, private road that is rarely if ever ventured down by a governmental agency. Now if I could just figure out what all my county taxes are going towards since I'm paying more than the people that live inside the city limits below.

kensfarm

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
When I first visited the farm before I bought it.. tenants were living in the house.. so I took a drink from the frostless hydrant out by the barn.. the water tasted so good it was almost sweet.

City water now smells like pool water to me.. I can smell the chlorine when I turn the faucet on at work(city water). My well water has high mineral content.. (I think it's a good thing).. but no added chlorine or flouride.(Blaaa)

I also have 2 good sized trout streams that run through the farm property.. I have a deep well pump hooked up in one that I use for irrigation in the summer.

I'd hate to pay for water.. I've seen 2 steers easily empty a 50 gallon water tub.. I have 13 so I'm sure they go through a lot. I recently added another frostless hydrant to a newly fenced in pasture.. it was 100ft run from an existing hydrant.. dug the trench w/ the FEL.. worked out pretty good.

humor_me

The local news recently did a story on this elderly couple who are "poineers" in their method to help be independent of the city BS.

A - They save their A/C condensate - we are so humid here, that this is a very viable situation
B - They also save all their rainwater - they had their house, outbuilding garage and gazebo all connected with a metal roof structure and it all ends up in a couple of ~1000 gallon tanks.
They say that they have more water than they can possibly use. But, obviously it is just the two of them.

And they simply buy the drinking stuff.

humor_me

kensfarm said:
City water now smells like pool water to me.. I can smell the chlorine when I turn the faucet on at work(city water). My well water has high mineral content.. (I think it's a good thing).. but no added chlorine or flouride.(Blaaa) QUOTE]

I know how you feel. I don't even give the city water to my pets. And if I do, they look up at me like "what's this crap?"
:eek:

buy_25

Banned
you guys must have bad city water. Ours is pretty clean. Is it great, nope but well water would never work in my applications (GPM wise). Nor is well water free of most too.

I feed Ro water for me and my pets. Fish get RO/DI water! :)

buy_25

Banned
PBinWA said:
Well water here and I'm up on a mountain with maybe only 1 septic field above our well. It's pretty good, I've got a simple GE household filter that seems to remove all the rust.

If you test your water you will see they do not remove all; hence they only reduce.