• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Kitchen Revamp this Spring

Patt

So, I'm going to revamp my kitchen cabinets along with my back splash this spring. Yeah, yeah, no one cares. I know that.

But, I have found a pretty cool idea or two. Just spent some time at Michael's and will be adding some fretwork to the cabinet doors and drawer fronts as well as doing some seriously cool changes to some dull ceramic tiles that serve as a back splash.

Wish me luck. I'm sort of - oh to tell the truth - FULLY - sick of my kitchen.

DIY - here I come !!

:brows:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Good luck. Hoping for pics of your project as you go and when you finish.

Where will you eat and cook while the kitchen project is underway? I have a friend who took over 6 months to get their kitchen back in order. Wife complained a lot but that didn't speed things up much, might have actually slowed them down. LOL

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
So, I'm going to revamp my kitchen cabinets along with my back splash this spring. Yeah, yeah, no one cares. I know that.

But, I have found a pretty cool idea or two. Just spent some time at Michael's and will be adding some fretwork to the cabinet doors and drawer fronts as well as doing some seriously cool changes to some dull ceramic tiles that serve as a back splash.

Wish me luck. I'm sort of - oh to tell the truth - FULLY - sick of my kitchen.

DIY - here I come !!

:brows:

Yeah, I care. I am doing an entire bedroom wing, two on-suites and a loft. You have my sympathy and encouragement.

Who is Michael's? We have a Michaels flooring here in St Louis MO who carries a lot of the stuff I need,....but not Kitchen Cabinetry.

My thread is Dad has finally agreed to move in. http://www.forumsforums.com/3_9/showthread.php?p=635313#post635313

BTW Patt,,,,Could you change your type color to something else. I can barely read that yellow.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Patt I'm in the process of trying to buy another foreclosure. DIY is the way to make money, way to save money, way to increase your own home value or increase the value of your investment.

Please keep us informed on your progress!

OH, AND WE LOVE PHOTOS!

Patt

Thanks everyone. I am sort of surprised as it being my second day and I've not really seen much activity. Glad to know you're all out there and alive. As to the Orange Color - I plan on collecting all the orange crayons on this site - a side hobby just 'cuz'.

The kitchen won't be too awful, I hope. I'll be able to cook up some grub between the sawdust, I'm sure. I'm one of those people who has to put everything away at the end of the day and rather organize the chaos prior to being able to sleep, so I assume I'll survive.

I plan on taking my time as I'm doing the full monty and using oil versus water based paints. I figure why not; I have no intention of doing this again and I like the idea of easy cleaning for many moons to come. Oh, and Michael's is an outlet that has crafty type stuff. Put that in conjunction with Home Depot and you're going to make a statement. At least that's the game plan.

Thanks everyone for the good wishes. Much appreciated. :)

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Thanks everyone. I am sort of surprised as it being my second day and I've not really seen much activity. Glad to know you're all out there and alive. :)

Oh... We are out here
Always watching and listening:unsure:.

Do a lot of before and after pictures with a bunch thrown in during the middle of reconstruction . Keep count of cost as many might be interested in that too .
Have fun . We have some damn good talent here on FF if you run into something unexpected and need advice .

Patt

Thanks Al. I will do just that. Put up the wall paper in the kitchen yesterday. I'm thinking of chopping my uppers above the island. Might be difficult though as I don't care for 'cell phones' any longer. Got rid of the four I had when Obama was re-elected. Seriously, if you can't find me in person, then it wasn't meant to be, nor was it important.

Now really, where can you say that sentence (about chopping the uppers over the island) and not be thought strange? :brows:

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Patt, how about some photos of your progress.

I've got my foreclosure, outbid the other buyers by $1.00.

Maybe your photos can give me some inspiration on this unit I purchased.

Patt

I'll ponder the pic idea. As to inspiration... all of mine has come about because of a fabulous chenille bedspread. Yeah. It can be that easy and just that strange. Like I said, I'll ponder a bit for you as to the pics. I'm sure there's a camera hook up somewhere that doesn't include a cell phone.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I'll ponder the pic idea. As to inspiration... all of mine has come about because of a fabulous chenille bedspread. Yeah. It can be that easy and just that strange. Like I said, I'll ponder a bit for you as to the pics. I'm sure there's a camera hook up somewhere that doesn't include a cell phone.

Okay, I get that.

A while back,,,,,my wife and I argued for some time about upgrading the kitchen. the red Deamask tile was wornand thefunky fruit bowl wall paper was drivingme nuts. We had ides and some consesus but,we just could get motivated to start.

Then I noticed a small chip in the flooring. One of the tiles had failed.
"Go get one of the spares and replace it," she said.
"How about we just do the whole floor?" I responded.

"naw, we don't have the time or the money."

So I went and dug the old stuff out of the garage and layed a piece over the broken tile. Awful.

"we cannot put that down," said the ultimate decision maker of the house.

And so, with that simple statement came a complete revamp of the kitchen. Except for theMaple cabinents forwhich we paid dearly when we first built the place. I simply would not put up cheap crap to be replaced later by a set of the newest, lasted, trendy, cheap crap.

From the kitchen the project evolved to the dining room, living room and foyer. A massive $20,000 worth of upgrades we did entirely ourselves. Imported wall paper, wood trim, crown mouldings, Hardwood floors, a 12'X6' custom wall mirror.....a custom Oak and leaded glass front entry doorway with an extended front porch.

All initiated by one small little dime sized hole in a 10 year old place and press floor tile.

Now, as to the fabulous Chennille bedspread, I am all atwitter with anticipation as to the back story.

Please.......

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Okay, I get that.

A while back,,,,,my wife and I argued for some time about upgrading the kitchen. the red Deamask tile was wornand thefunky fruit bowl wall paper was drivingme nuts. We had ides and some consesus but,we just could get motivated to start.

Then I noticed a small chip in the flooring. One of the tiles had failed.
"Go get one of the spares and replace it," she said.
"How about we just do the whole floor?" I responded.

"naw, we don't have the time or the money."

So I went and dug the old stuff out of the garage and layed a piece over the broken tile. Awful.

"we cannot put that down," said the ultimate decision maker of the house.

And so, with that simple statement came a complete revamp of the kitchen. Except for theMaple cabinents forwhich we paid dearly when we first built the place. I simply would not put up cheap crap to be replaced later by a set of the newest, lasted, trendy, cheap crap.

From the kitchen the project evolved to the dining room, living room and foyer. A massive $20,000 worth of upgrades we did entirely ourselves. Imported wall paper, wood trim, crown mouldings, Hardwood floors, a 12'X6' custom wall mirror.....a custom Oak and leaded glass front entry doorway with an extended front porch.

All initiated by one small little dime sized hole in a 10 year old place and press floor tile.

Now, as to the fabulous Chennille bedspread, I am all atwitter with anticipation as to the back story.

Please.......

Oh Franc, that brought back some bad, bad memories. In Dallas it started with replacing one cracked tile in one of the guest bathrooms. In out present house it started with replacing the commodes in the master bath and the hall bath. It's too gruesome to go into all the details but suffice to say that I'll never do any of that again.

Patt, we need pictures however you can manage it. My wife started a month ago by saying that "we" need to freshen up the kitchen and repaint the whole inside of the house. I think that I'll hire a contractor, get in the RV and head for someplace peaceful for a couple of months. :yum: Man, I'm too old for that s**t.

What do I care if the house is "getting dated". I'm going to die and let the next owner screw with all that stuff. :clap::clap::clap:

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
I do that shit for a living, and the last thing I want to do is work on my own house. Dated doesn't mean anything unles you're getting ready to sell the place, and even then the new buyer is almost guaranteed to want to change everything you did for yourself. I say let Mrs JEV's next husband do it.:brows:

luvs

'lil yinzer~
GOLD Site Supporter
there is a food forum to chit-chat on. & if i may~ pix let u show progress & show us your accomplishments. is there an issue w/ that--
my own pix refuse to cooperate w/ a few sites.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
there is a food forum to chit-chat on. & if i may~ pix let u show progress & show us your accomplishments. is there an issue w/ that--
my own pix refuse to cooperate w/ a few sites.

I think that you are being hypercritical. They put it in the DIY and home decorating forum which is where it belongs. :sad:

luvs

'lil yinzer~
GOLD Site Supporter
i gave encouragement on pix. & yep, i'm hypercritical- i coined myself as being so, using that term way when ago. i'm actually not being critical,- not in said post. i'm posting my thoughts & was seeing if maybe we could figure a way to get their pix posted, as i, myself, hafta take leaps & bounds fer that. think ur reading way too far into that one.

Patt

Oh, sorry. I was in uber paint mode today and the introduction of color begins....

Frankly, I hurt everywhere -- lol.

I've not yet put the new teeter totter coffee table together yet. It's still in the box.
I'll be there someday. I know it.

Okay - so the second coat of primer on the island and color there tomorrow - oh, and the behind the fridge paint is tomorrow - or Saturday, if I take tomorrow off to no longer hurt. That's a strong possibility.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Progress, even if immeasurably small , is till progress.

My wife and I are into our great adventure some four weeks now. We are about 24 days behind our planned schedule. But it is all good.

This Week end we are unable to work on the house as we are going to Colorado Springs to pick up the furniture we happened to find on E-bay.

So no painting or carpentry this week end. Sets us back again.

Now you mentioned a day of rest. Great.
So what is the story on the chenille bed spread?

Patt

As to the bed spread::: I just happened to come across a chenille bed spread that reminded me of my early - EARLY - days. Somewhere around age 4 or 5. I remembered how safe I felt reading on my bed, cuddled up with that four foot tall bear and under such a soft and pretty bed spread. From there, the race was on to take my home back to a place where all the things that made me feel safe and secure were evident in the environment I now live in. Hence, the transformation.

And yes, I sleep quite well under that beautiful bed spread. I really do. :smile:

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
As to the bed spread::: I just happened to come across a chenille bed spread that reminded me of my early - EARLY - days. Somewhere around age 4 or 5. I remembered how safe I felt reading on my bed, cuddled up with that four foot tall bear and under such a soft and pretty bed spread. From there, the race was on to take my home back to a place where all the things that made me feel safe and secure were evident in the environment I now live in. Hence, the transformation.

And yes, I sleep quite well under that beautiful bed spread. I really do. :smile:

If I ever find my "guire" I will experience the same relief.

That cape shielded me from all evil and harm until I was 5 yers old. Handcrafted by one of my grandmothers, the patchquilt blanket made me indestructable and safe until kindegarden. Mom and I arguedovermy need,my birth right, to takeit to school and have it with me when evil came upon the classroom.:w00t2:

Sadly my "Guire" somhow could not survive the mortal wounds inflicted by mom's wringer washer so often during our time together. And finally after one day at school, it succumbed. I'm sure it's timely demise as I entered the acedemic world was a mere coincedence.:sad:

After it's final sacrifice, I went on to a reasonably good life. It's spirit protecting me, even from the netherworld where all good security blankets go when they have given their last full measure.

I too would melt if I saw one like it today.

Patt

LMAO - Oh, how I wish you could find one that fit every need you have today. Personally, I'd be on the lookout constantly, if I were you. After all, they do say that becoming older makes us children once again. I say take advantage of every perk out there as getting older flat out sucks. If there is a bonus - take it - embrace it - blame someone else. LOL

You never said what furniture you came across on ebay. I just spent several moments of time searching for the perfect dining table set. I have a new one - it's counter top height, but I'm none too comfortable with the chairs that go with them. So far though, I do find one of the chairs perfect for my work bench in the garage.

That sort of tells you how 'attached' I am to this set, doesn't it?

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
LMAO - Oh, how I wish you could find one that fit every need you have today. Personally, I'd be on the lookout constantly, if I were you. After all, they do say that becoming older makes us children once again. I say take advantage of every perk out there as getting older flat out sucks. If there is a bonus - take it - embrace it - blame someone else. LOL

You never said what furniture you came across on ebay. I just spent several moments of time searching for the perfect dining table set. I have a new one - it's counter top height, but I'm none too comfortable with the chairs that go with them. So far though, I do find one of the chairs perfect for my work bench in the garage.

That sort of tells you how 'attached' I am to this set, doesn't it?

There is a picture of it here in my Construction thread.

http://www.forumsforums.com/3_9/showthread.php?t=66493

I will be taking it apart and re-purposing it as closet built ins in the new On-Suite we are creating for the old outdated master bedroom. I still need one more piece. either anothe side unit or an entertainment Armiore for hanging those special dresses and coats.

It must be the Kincaid Cherry Mountain,,,I or II to match. Anybody ever run accross one, I'm a player.

Patt

Sounds like a fantastic plan you have in mind. Sometimes you get lucky on Ebay. No doubt you sure did.

Good for you !!

loboloco

Patt, I am looking at building some cabinets out of eastern cedar for a lady. I don't normally build cabinets, but feel like I owe this woman a lot. Thay are planed and t&g'd. When I get a cabinet built and sealed I will try to remember to post a pic.

Patt

Oh wow. I'd love to see that. Eastern cedar, huh? That's some lovely wood. It reminds me of the redwood found in California. I wonder, does it still contain the cedar smell after it's been cut?

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Oh wow. I'd love to see that. Eastern cedar, huh? That's some lovely wood. It reminds me of the redwood found in California. I wonder, does it still contain the cedar smell after it's been cut?

Eastern Red Cedar always has that smell. Even years after it is made into a finished product. Most cabinent makers do not finish the inside so that the aromatic oils can effervess.

We used to cut 2" X 12" X 1/4"planks of it and hang them in our closets.

BTW, The Eastern Red Cedar is considered by many Native Indians, the Cherokee in particular, to be a sacred tree. Sometimes,when I must cut one down, even a young sapling, I say a prayer. I never cut one that is more than one inch, except for a noble purpose. I just reroute my plans.

Scraggly, nasty, Scrawny, and Pungent.....it is my favorite tree.

Our Ozark Propery has many of them. Although it was clear cut in 2005 and severly burned in 2008,there is a glen where they survived the slaughter of both enemies. It contains one which is over 36" in diameter at the base. Surrounded by a scattered grove of younger trees amidst the Oak, Maples and Hickories, we call the Old Mother. It is our sacred secret place by the brook.