• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Considering diesel Mercedes Benz 350GL SUV ~ advice?

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Not really sure what to look for, but I've been really looking at the MB 350GL. Its a fairly large SUV about the size of the Chevy Tahoe or Ford Expedition, towing capacity at 7000#, fuel economy is surprisingly good at 22mpg combined.

I know the MB Diesel engines are considered to be pretty close to bulletproof for reliability, but what about the rest of the vehicle? Will the electronics hold up over time? I expect the basic vehicle to hold up, but the electronics on the new vehicles are getting so complex (and freaking expensive) that I wonder if those won't be the downfall of current car/truck models?

Any insight?

ki0ho

GOLD Site Supporter
Would it be posible to find a vehical gas or desisel that could be turned back into a non computer engine????? Just wondering.........

:unsure:

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Bob, keep us informed of your thought processes and evaluation if you please.

The reason that I'm interested is that my wife wants a new SUV soon, the end of this year or the beginning of next. The MB 350GL would be at the top of our price range but my wife wants something that can be serviced locally as she's tired of having to drive 70 miles round trip to have her present one serviced. That would limit us to GM, Ford or Jeep. All right, Ford or Jeep as I'm not too enthusiastic about buying a GM product but really it's whatever she likes and wants. I'm trying to convince her that a MB, BMW, Lexus, Infinity, etc., wouldn't be a hardship to drive even if she does have to take it 70 miles to have it attended to.

She's also a tightwad and I'm afraid that she's going to settle for a cheaper alternative that she's not going to be happy with when there's no real reason to. In other words, I don't want to listen to her bitch about her new car after she's got it but there are so many SUV models and trims out there that the choices are bewildering.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Frank, I'm actually considering either a car or a SUV at this point. We are at a point where I will probably be buying 2 vehicles over the next 12 months. Wife's Vovlo SUV died. Melen and I now are sharing Melen's car, but as its fencing season she and I tend to carpool so we don't end up with 2 cars at practice. So sharing cars is not really a hardship. And my Touareg, which the lovely Mrs_Bob now drives, is getting a bit long in the tooth but is still totally reliable, it may stick around up to a year but probably not much more than that.

Consequently I'm looking at some dramatically different vehicles, both SUVs and CARS:

The cars I'm looking at are the Audi A6, MB E350, BMW 5 series and VW CC. All 4 of those are availabe with all wheel drive. All 4 have simlar interior volume. Prices for the A6, E350, 5 Series are very similar. I'd prefer 4wd and diesel. None of the above give me both 4wd AND diesel. The E350 gives me EITHER/OR but not both. Rumor mill is churning that the BMW 5 series will be bringing over a Diesel engine in 2013 and it will be available with the X-Drive system.

For the SUVs I'm considering 2 very different vehicles. The VW Touareg and the MB GL350. Both tow over 7500#. One is small, the other large. Both offer diesel & 4wd. I currently own a Touareg and its a great vehicle. I've had a few problems with it but overall its a damn fine vehilce. Starting to show its age with some wear and tear from daily use over the past 7 years, but the engine/drivetrain seem to be bulletproof. That said, its nice enough/good enough that I'd consider having another one. The GL350 is totally redesigned this year, looks similar but is actually new from the wheels up. And boy oh boy is it a nice big truck. Not convinced I need a big SUV, but I might want one :brows:

All that said, I know very little about the MB brands other than one of the dealerships I've dealt with for a long time sells them. I've driven them and like them. But with EVERY new car there are so many electronics on them that I wonder how long those will last before its $2500 to replace the XXX part. And that applies to BOTH cars and SUVs. I suppose I could buy an old Jeep to get rid of those fears of electronics, but honestly I like having seat heaters and other fine friffery to make me comfy while I drive!

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
Not really sure what to look for, but I've been really looking at the MB 350GL. Its a fairly large SUV about the size of the Chevy Tahoe or Ford Expedition, towing capacity at 7000#, fuel economy is surprisingly good at 22mpg combined.

I know the MB Diesel engines are considered to be pretty close to bulletproof for reliability, but what about the rest of the vehicle? Will the electronics hold up over time? I expect the basic vehicle to hold up, but the electronics on the new vehicles are getting so complex (and freaking expensive) that I wonder if those won't be the downfall of current car/truck models?

Any insight?

Nice choice MD, I tested the GL and found it to be a nicely appointed SUV. For me the extra mileage (27 vs 21) was the deciding factor, that and I really didn’t need the extra size of the GL. I believe MB uses the same 3.0 engine in both the ML and the GL, which probably explains the difference in mileage between the two. I’m actually getting 28+ on the open road at 82 and I think that’s super!

If you have one built be sure to include the towing package. It’s nasty expensive to add it on later, something to do with the way MB wires their cars. (fiber optics?)

My gut feeling is that MB is going to have ongoing issues with the 7 speed transmission in these cars. Noting that I can put my finger on right now, but mine just doesn’t instill confidence.

Good luck!

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I looked at the ML too. Something about it just doesn't work for me. I don't know why, but I just don't like that model. If I go to that size vehicle then I'll definitely buy another Touareg. The Touareg and the ML both are rated at about the same fuel economy with the Diesel engine, I just like the Touareg better than the ML.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
As a MB nut, I'll have to say that if you are going to have the thing serviced at a dealer, instead of self service, then the MB will cost you dearly. I have friends with Benzes and am floored at what they are paying for service.

I had an ML until I destroyed it on the highway. I drove it for about 125,000 miles and I liked it more and more the more I drove it. But 21 mpg wasn't good enough for all my driving, so I got the E430. I will say though, I got out of that wrecked ML through the sunroof because every other panel on the SUV was smashed, and I had no injuries, pains, or anything wrong with me. Very safe vehicle.

I service my own and use the FSS comupter for oil changes and other scheduled maintenance. It's turning 303,000 miles young this week sometime. But if you are not going to keep it that long, probably not worth it buy a new Benz. You will take a beating on depreciation. And keep guys like me happy and in cars cheaply!

How about a 4-Matic?? I've never owned a 4-matic car - I do not think it is "exactly" 4 wheel drive, but I think you can still get E and S class (plus CLS, CL, etc) in 4-matic, and from what I've heard, they do quite well in snow and ice. Would that work?

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
How about a 4-Matic?? I've never owned a 4-matic car - I do not think it is "exactly" 4 wheel drive, but I think you can still get E and S class (plus CLS, CL, etc) in 4-matic, and from what I've heard, they do quite well in snow and ice. Would that work?

MB does not currently offer a sedan with BOTH their AWD system AND diesel.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Oh. Didn't know that.
You do know that the new blutecs use urea for emission controls?

Kane

I service my own and use the FSS comupter for oil changes and other scheduled maintenance. It's turning 303,000 miles young this week sometime. But if you are not going to keep it that long, probably not worth it buy a new Benz. You will take a beating on depreciation. And keep guys like me happy and in cars cheaply!
Exactly.

If you're thinking about a 'Benz, as waybomb says, this is the key. Self service. It's easy.

And if you're not thinking about keeping the car/SUV for the long haul (200-300K), then a 'Benz ain't for you. Unless, of course, you can afford to make someone else happy.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Pretty common for us to keep vehicles for 8 to 10 years. Sometimes longer. Generally I buy new. Run them until they die or until we are sick of them!

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Do they make a G-wagon with a diesel? Expensive in standard trim, but the coolest of those type of vehicles.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Do they make a G-wagon with a diesel? Expensive in standard trim, but the coolest of those type of vehicles.

Yes. But it is not for sale in the USA. Gas only for this market.

ki0ho

GOLD Site Supporter
If servasing is a problem....spend a little more and get a Rolls.....from what I hear they will come to you to do the service............:whistling:....life time!

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Most of the higher end cars/dealerships now offer a service where they come get the vehicle to save you the hassle. They also leave you a loaner for something to drive.

As Fred said, dealer service is expensive. My ML was costing me an average of something around $80-100 per month for "routine maintenance" although there was nothing wrong with it.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
OK, I've done some checking. The luxury Japanese models, Acura, Lexus and Infiniti, are out. The nearest dealer is about 100 miles away for those. She saw a MB 350GL the other day and said it was "OK". That may well be out but we'll see. We're going to check on the BMW X5 (and the 350GL again) next week sometime. After that we're down to the loaded mid range range models. It could take months to reach any kind of a decision. There's just so many of them. :hammer:

We've (me) gone off the diesel idea. The additional cost for the vehicle and the fuel would make the payback on increased mileage about 25 years. I'm 65 now and I don't think I'll be interested in driving anything except a wheelchair when I'm 90. :biggrin:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well I'm sitting on 1000 gallons of diesel that I got for the cost of the tanks that I put the fuel into, so that is influencing part of my decision.

The 350GL is actually CHEAPER ~by about $500~ that the nearly identical 450GL which gets worse fuel economy.

The VW Touareg extracts a premium to get the oil burning engine to the tune of a couple grand, but my gas burning Touareg is giving me a real world 17mpg average so I'd gladly pick up a diesel that gave me 23+. The problem with the Touareg that may keep me away from it is that I drive with the seat all the way back (not tilted, but slid back on the track) and when the rear seats are folded for cargo then it pushes uncomfortably against the front seat. Probably not a problem for anyone under 5'11" but definitely an issue for me. That alone is the biggest gripe I have with the Touareg and may be the deciding factor that pushes me to the MB GL350???

FWIW, a friend of mine was over on Thanksgiving. His Honda Pilot turned in a REAL WORLD AVERAGE of an amazing 12mpg. He can't wait to sell it.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Frank - Like you said, so many choices. Mrs. Zoom's Audi is getting up there so we're going to replace it soon. The front-runner for our needs (AWD, decent fuel economy, comfortable ride and amenities...) came out to be a nicely appointed Subaru Outback. We have some friends (a couple families) that have been driving them for the last decade. They put about $300 into unscheduled maintenance over that period and that's for 200,000 miles. The Audi's, MB's... that we've been driving can't touch that for a low-maintenance, low-cost-of-ownership experience.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Frank - Like you said, so many choices. Mrs. Zoom's Audi is getting up there so we're going to replace it soon. The front-runner for our needs (AWD, decent fuel economy, comfortable ride and amenities...) came out to be a nicely appointed Subaru Outback. We have some friends (a couple families) that have been driving them for the last decade. They put about $300 into unscheduled maintenance over that period and that's for 200,000 miles. The Audi's, MB's... that we've been driving can't touch that for a low-maintenance, low-cost-of-ownership experience.

I'd be curious to see how MrsZoom likes living with less as she drives that Subaru. I compared the Subaru Legacy to a few other cars and found it lacking in features. Simple things like 1 touch window opening + closing for all the windows. Even Melen's little VW Jetta has that feature. It just seemed like the Subaru was "close but not quite" in so many areas that I dismissed them a long time ago. They do look nice, have a good reputation. But...

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
you can't beat subaru's for economy how ever they sometimes feel cramped compared to to other care on the market the forester is a little larger and the 2 here in nome are still running 10 years later even though they look hammered subarus are a good bang for the buck.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Mrs. Zoom has about 3 miles in the Subaru so who knows. I figure a new Subaru should be a moderate change from an older Audi A6 (although the stereo in the A6 still absolutely kicks ass which she won't get with Subaru).

I'd be curious to see how MrsZoom likes living with less as she drives that Subaru. I compared the Subaru Legacy to a few other cars and found it lacking in features.
Interesting... I'll have to check that with the Mrs. on that. Personally, I can't stand the 1 touch open + close for all windows. I like a 1/2 detent down for open, full click for full. I can't stand that they all go straight down if I even touch it.

For the difference of around $20-30K (or more), that Subaru is looking nice to us. Yea, we could do the A6, MB 3xx 4-matic... but considering the state of the world, we opted to step back a bit in the vehicles. I'm keeping my ole truck and she doesn't drive premier vehicles for a bit. The savings (if the gov'n lets us keep it) will go towards other things.

Last edited:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Bob - Sorry :(

I'm interjecting my crap into your thread. Outside of talking about something new, my posts aren't relevant.

I will stick by my thoughts that MB's are "persnickety", especially when new. Your dash will look like a Christmas tree if you don't service it regularly. The BMW's and Audi's do the same but really quiet down after they break in.

Like you, I'd love to have the "right" vehicle but it just doesn't seem to exist yet in this country. :(

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Bob - Sorry :(

I'm interjecting my crap into your thread.

. . .

Like you, I'd love to have the "right" vehicle but it just doesn't seem to exist yet in this country. :(
NOT BOTHERING ME AT ALL.

In fact I'm open to hearing about any vehicle. . . largely because my ideal vehicle is not available here.

ki0ho

GOLD Site Supporter
MD.....I talked to a benz owner and he told me he is going to order a G-63 next one he gets....I saw an artical on that one on fox this morning.........if you are wanting rugged....that baby looks it!!!!.........but forget econamy.....I think the remark made was if you want to pull 7000 over mount everest it is for ya.....

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Well Zoomer, my wife like yours has always driven premier automobiles until about 7 years ago when she announced she wanted a Kia Sorento like both her sisters. That auto has 75K miles on it and has never needed a thing except oil and filters and a new battery. I'm going to start driving it when she gets her new SUV. Unfortunately Kia changed the interior of the new Soernto and she doesn't like it nearly as much or we wouldn't be having this problem.

She really wants to buy from one of the dealers in our little town which means Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep, Ford or GM. The problem is when you take one of their mid size SUVs and load it up, the price is within spitting distance of a MB 350GL or a BMW X5. Now, which would you rather have? I know which one I would take but I can see her settling for a Jeep Grand Cherokee Overlander or a Ford Explorer EcoBoost.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
. . . She really wants to buy from one of the dealers in our little town which means Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep, Ford or GM. The problem is when you take one of their mid size SUVs and load it up, the price is within spitting distance of a MB 350GL or a BMW X5. Now, which would you rather have? I know which one I would take but I can see her settling for a Jeep Grand Cherokee Overlander or a Ford Explorer EcoBoost.
Have you looked at the towing capacity fo the Ford Explorer and compared it to anything else that is a real truck capacity vehicle?

The "SUV" class of vehicles is divided up into a bunch of different segments, but you can clearly divide them in one way that I choose to look at them. "Utility" versus "sporty looks." So, unfortunately, too many SUVs are either SPORTY or they have UTILITY but very few offer both.

When looking for a workhorse vehicle then you can shave about 75% of the stuff on the market right off your list. Towing capacity over 4500# and you eliminate at least 50% of the vehicles. Towing capacity over 6000# and you eliminate most of them. Go for 7000# and above and you are limited to only a small handful of choices. Look to interior weight carrying capacity the same way, many will seat 7 people but those 7 people will come close to pushing the GVW of the vehicle over its limits. WTF?

I'm looking for something that is NICE but is also CAPABLE. The VW Touareg has fit the bill for me pretty well. I may buy another one when this journey is over. I'd just prefer a little more interior space than it offers but overall my VW Touareg has been a good vehicle and fits both SPORT + UTILITY pretty darn well.