• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

ford head bolts

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I bought a ford diesel 2004 3/4 ton and I have read that the head bolts have been known to stretch under heavy load or if you increace the compression.
Would it be wise to replace them with the ford upgrade now or wait?
It is fine now and 108000miles on it and runs good.
jim

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
I'm not familiar with this particular issue, but changing head bolts is easier than change a head gasket, or maybe a head if damaged enough, or worse yet, hydrolocking it with antifreeze if really bad and bending rods.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
jim i hasd one pop a head gasket and know of 2 others that have done it i would wait till the head gasket goes than replace it with a new head gasket ,the one i did i reused the bolts as there is no torque angle to force streatch the bolts.the one thing you must do is use the change the coolant and use the ford additive to prevent the cylinder sleeves from pin holeing.the idi motors are a bit thirsty compared to the 6.2;s but are for the most part reliable and well built

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Jim,

The compression is 19 to one static, quite high for a turbo'ed diesel. In 06 and 07 they recieved a 1mm larger head bolt set than the previous years. What causes head bolt streach is the very high cylinder preasures created with such high compression with 28 lbs of manifold preasure force feeding the thing....

I have 175,000 0n an 06 I drive daily. Change fuel filters by the book and NEVER run it out of fuel, and the injectors will live long. At 28,000 PSI they build heat and beat the seats silly with no fuel..

I use only OEM filters as well. The after markets are not exactly the same size and look cheap to me...Flush or change the trans oil is some thing I would do as well if you don't know when it was last changed.

Good engine other than the junk (EGR Equiptment, FICM, and injectors) they bolt on it. From the valve covers down they are built very well.

Napa injectors have a three year warranty, and Ford's have a one year. Go fingure...

Good luck, they can be expencive to keep up. Tuners can exaserbate the head bolt issues. Navistar uses this engine at 260 rated HP in trucks. Ford is pushing it stock.

Regards, Kirk