• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Lost a best freind last nite A Decorated WWII veteran is gone.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
As many of you know, My father-I-law has lived with us for some time. He is my drinking buddy and has been a best friend for over fifty years. Over the years he became more of a father tome than my own Dad.

I always kidded that the best gift he ever gave me was his daughter. But in truth, I have come to know, it was actually his unqualified friendship.

He passed last night after a relatively brief battle with cancer. Amazingly with little pain, he went easily but far too quickly for the rest of us.

Rudy was to be 95 in August.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Sad loss. Personal losses that are closer than family are often the hardest. My sympathies and prayers go out to you and your family.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I'm sorry to hear that Franc. You and your family will be in our prayers.

These last few years I have lost many close friends and family. Lord only knows, it is always tough. I try to rationalize it as being a consequence of us all growing older. That helps some but it's never easy.

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
Sorry to hear of his passing, Franc!! Another of the Greatest Generation gone to their reward.
Mike

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
So sad Franc. My condolences. RIP Rudy. He sounds like a great guy. He was 94 but still your best friend and drinking buddy. How lucky you and he have been for the past 50 years to have found and enjoyed each other so. Always tough saying goodbye no matter how old they are. :(

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
So sorry to hear this news Franc.

We don't get to pick the day nor the method.

My bet is he thought of you as his son. In fact I am quite sure of that. :wink:

I hope I get to have a Son in Law who becomes what he became to you. If I do, he will be well taken care of when I am gone.

Regards, Kirk

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
So sad Franc. My condolences. RIP Rudy. He sounds like a great guy. He was 94 but still your best friend and drinking buddy. How lucky you and he have been for the past 50 years to have found and enjoyed each other so. Always tough saying goodbye no matter how old they are. :(

TThanksdoc.

I remember when I ask him for his daughter's hand. He knew what was on my mind, what I was thinking about, at the time. And yet he said yes.

To this day, I have no idea what he was thinking.

He built two houses of his own that I know of. He helped me build mine. Boating, Fishing, Drinking, Motorcycles. Best friend I ever had.

He loved Miller High Life in glass bottles. I always kept it in the fridge for him. Not my favorite beer but we shared a few most nights together at his place or mine. We were neighbors ,,convenient. Last fall he moved in with Cathy and I.

The routine continued without having to cross the street. Every re-run of M*A*S*H, Big Bang Theory and Gun Smoke seen over and over together.

I miss him but have yet to cry. Death doesn't strike me that way. Generally I don't cry at Wakes or Funerals. The Funeral is this coming Thursday. There is one Miller left in the fridge. I'm betting popping the cap off that one Thursday evening will bring some tears.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Very sorry to hear about Rudy's passing. You have the memories of an incredible friendship. Priceless. My condolences to you and your family. Stay strong.

zekeusa

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Sorry to hear about your loss. I wear my father's Silver Star pin on my jacket. Miss him everyday.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Aww, handsome fella.
:flowers:

And just as charming as he looks. Though a widower, he was seldom if ever without female companionship.

He looked that good until about three months ago.

One of my favorite stories is of me and a friend working in his yard when a young gal comes up in a Mustang convertible, wearing a blue dotted bikini, and asked, "Is Rudy home?" We said no but he is on his way.

"Well," she says, he told me to just jump in the Hot tub."

Oooooo.....kay

Ten minutes later Rudy is in the tub with her and the bikini is hanging over the side.

Yeah, Rudy was something special.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
That's a precious memory.
I bet you have a lot of Rudy-isms you could share, Franc.

That's proof of deep respect and love of one so wonderful and rare.