• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

J5 solid wheels splitting

IMP

Site Supporter
I just bought this 1978 low hour J5 that appears to be in very good condition. One of the few negative things i do see is the solid rear wheels are splitting down the middle right on a factory seam on both rear wheels. I dont know if this is common or what would cause it or if its even a big problem. Im excited about my purchase and will post photos as i go through it this winter. I have all the parts needed for a set of NEW metal cleated tracks Thanks to Brad at Minnesota Outdoors:applause:

Attachments

• imagejpeg_0(5).jpg
    imagejpeg_0(5).jpg
    371 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_3323.jpg
    IMG_3323.jpg
    210.3 KB · Views: 145

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
Nice ! A Tropical !

I have several solid wheels that are splitting also. Since it's the rears, maybe sun is a factor.

Maybe you could find an adhesive that worked or would solve it w/some bolts counter sunk in the rubber ?

IMP

Site Supporter
Hi Pixi! Yea i thought about the bolt idea too. So the split tires you have are they in about the same condition? Have you done anything about it? Have you seen it get worse? I was also thinking i might rotate the wheels ftom the center to the back position and see if it happens again

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
Mine aren't split quite as bad. I just checked the 6 that are in service and the seam is barely noticable but the UV/time has eaten them a little. My 2 spares are more like yours.

Rotating seems a good idea but I'd still try to do something to keep them from getting worse and injuring the guides or chunking off !

Or buy a couple of air tires/wheels and cut the weight a little :)

IMP

Site Supporter
they do make a tread and tire repair adhesive i may try first. J5 Bombardier do you see this issue on any of your rigs?

J5 Bombardier

My neighbor is has owned a 1968 muskeg for 25 years, a couple of his solids are cross bolted from before he owned it. I have never had that problem yet , but I'll be keeping the bolts handy, considering the price of solids.
J5 Bombardier

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
They can run a long time with the cracks present, years, cross fastened, they will last longer. The new ones we have made are now made from polyurethane which
Does not crack like the rubber ones. And yes, they are to expensive to not take of them.