• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

New Guy with New To Him Thiokol 4T8 N

Hi All
loneoutrider here

Just recently got registered on forumsforums and darned glad I found you!

Bought a 4T8 N about two months ago that was on Craigslist.
I was pretty nervous about it as it had six flat tires and I couldn't try it out
for fear of running out of the tracks. It did start once we added gas and starting
fluid, didn't smoke even so.
Borrowed a pickup and tilt deck trailer to bring it home. Four hundred mile round
trip with the last 60ish miles in 4 wheel drive, snow and ice, and 25-30 miles an hour almost too fast.
Been working on it off and on.
Six new tires
New glass in back door
Radiator and heater hoses
Oil and filter change
Gearboxes fluid change
Plugs and wires
Had my brother weld up four broken trousers
Much vacuuming - many dead mice and their former homes

Have had it out in the hayfield for about a half mile run and it seems to track straight and shift smooth both the three speed tranny and the power divider

Now the questions - some technical and some curiosity

Every fifth grouser is two pieces of square tube straight across. Why?

I have a bad u-joint on the front of the right rear drive shaft. Does anyone
know the Spicer part number? Was hoping to have new one in hand before
removing old one.

The carrier bearing between the right rear drive shaft and the back of the power divider needs to be replaced. Spicer part number anyone?

Where can I get the rubber window molding for the sliding windows in front doors? Both of mine are pretty worn.

I don't see many pictures of the 4T8 anywhere, are they a somewhat rare version or just camera shy?

I am looking at replacing the factory front seats with bucket seats. Any recommendations as to what fits / works well?

Thanks

loneoutrider

vintagebike

I have an X Air Force 4T10 waiting in the que. Glad to see someone else working on one. Almost ready to start the refresh on the 223 Ford L6. Seen here ready to travel from Montana to McCall last year.
9C355F95-EE13-487E-A711-BBA8EA0A4997.jpg

In regards to "where r u?" Southwest MT

As far as getting the "trousers welded ". Not much better at wrench bending than spelling! Good that these machines are simple!

loneoutrider

PJL

Blackfoot, that was a great restoration thread. Spent Sunday morning reading it.

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
Blackfoot, that was a great restoration thread. Spent Sunday morning reading it.

I'm sincerely glad you enjoyed it. I found his attention to detail and quality of workmanship to be inspirational. Though we've not met in person, I've exchanged quite a few PMs with Weatherby and he's a genuinely nice guy. He stops by the forum periodically, but not nearly enough in my opinion...

andyv916

The Drive Shaft in my IMP is a 1310 series U-joint . Sounds like yours is a two piece with a center brg support , I replaced both joints straightened and balanced mine .

Working on the 4T8 again this weekend.
Got the u-joints out of drivelines and found that at least 3 were factory originals.
56 years in place! Replaced them with Spicer 5-153X joints.

Removed the carrier bearing and finally determined that it is supposed to be an
NDH Z99509. Parts store said $99 per! McMaster Carr 5972K51 cross reference
was $27 each on mcmaster.com. Going to replace both of them on the output end of the Power Divider as long as I'm at it. Should have them by end of this week.

Got both wiper motors replaced and got a poly fuel tank installed. West Marine has a poly tank that is same height and width as original, so I was able to use original hold downs.
?
loneoutrider