• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

1973 Tucker Sno Cat 1443 New to Me

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Got the piston and hoses back. Even came with a fresh coat of not close enough orange paint. Mocked up real quick and I don't think there is enough clearance to fit a lock bolt like the front. The amount of movement is also minimal compared to the front. Where the lock bolt would fit is at an odd angle and offset to the center.

This got me rethinking the front pin for modification. That front lock bolt is taking up any front to back slack and is now absorbing all the force from the ram. As much as I improved a situation I have now created an unintended problem.

The solution is to mill out a recess in the pin to prevent rotation but allow the front to back forces to be applied to the pivot surface evenly. This will add a little more play back in but it the correct move by thinking above.

The location of the rear lock bolt will force the pin up at and angle also transmitting pressure to the bolt but in an odd way. First pass looks like grease pin will be the only upgrade. Still better than nothing. Once I can get some time to install and cycle I will confirm.

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
So I'm gonna chime in with my 2C. As with so many rebuilds here trying to achieve perfection (you're closer than most) it did survive as built since 1973. With the improvements you have made, leave copious notes for your grandchildren as to what will need to be attended to before they pass it on to their kids.

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Mocked up. No clearance where I would like to pin the rear pin. J Tucker and I did mill out a recess for the front pin lock. Problem solved.

Not much motion in the back so taking Cidertom's advice. I left a note here and we machined up a grease pin upgrade. Will spin some grease grooves before install.

Kindergartener helped with the clevis wear pins machining. Close enough for him close enough for me.

Should have it all hooked up by the weeks end then on to the tie rods.
73CB9564-3757-47AB-90E3-FBA3A22B681C.jpeg
7369BF92-C9D9-46D2-B09D-CE102FD4BEFC.jpeg
00972352-46E6-4F6A-9962-E9039F10095F.jpeg

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
This is an illustration of what happens when a tie rod breaks.

In this depiction the rear failed and possibly is a male cat or a transfer case...

F0A10F57-6E38-46C9-A64E-596320033AED.jpeg

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
New Tie Rods all primed. Big thanks to Davenet for the ingredients. Turns out our tie rod tubes were the same sizes.

These are a heavier wall tube and has a bit more thread on the tie end. Off the shelf parts solutions. I'll gather the part numbers later.

We cut and welded these. Access to a big enough pass through lathe bed and some skill would have been ideal. These are better than new either way.
853450B3-6439-4A59-BAD4-3F3FE4D8280E.jpeg
3CF0EFE7-147D-434F-8D7B-94B0367B9816.jpeg
EAB2C3AA-CCAB-46FB-8158-85DA440BEE5A.jpeg
2A699288-1758-4416-8087-095447110E51.jpeg

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Did you get my text about cleaning the old grease out of the boots on the new ends? The OEM shipping 'grease' is tacky like tar after sitting for 10+ years.

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Tie rods back on we ends also. Plan was to use clamps on both ends but allow one just snug enough for the tie rod/tube to pivot on one end as suggested because these tubes are slit on both ends. The table end would be ideal especially the front.

Turns out there is not enough clearance by the transfer case for the clamps on the center pivot sides. Stock setup this end had no clamp or slit. This new setup has so much thread engagement compared to stock below the slit and is heavier wall I don't see the need. Cleaner look also.

With this solution tubes are clamped at each table allowing the tube to rotate at the center pivot.

The rear tie rod end is quite the challenge to get at and change without throwing off the alignment or hanging the carriers to hyper rotate. Now I understand why tables are found with the tie rod end still attached.

At full lock with some special tools I can get at the nut. Two spring bolts just tough the tubes at full lock. Shallow nut could fix but I never take it hard lock like this.

Very happy with the serviceable upgrade. Sno actually coming tomorrow.

Carefull manuvering in garages!
7950BAD2-8C73-498B-8103-96D4FEE76F08.jpeg
050051B2-A3C9-4693-9B76-BDB9F7AE24F2.jpeg
802651E8-E988-418B-9359-0F97389A17E6.jpeg
F6D494DC-1188-478F-A56D-FA4E8F3B29ED.jpeg
B46050F0-2046-42EF-85D7-8DBD7F1207F4.jpeg
64210F56-5726-45D3-8594-D3D4D5952E5B.jpeg

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
Two spring bolts just tough the tubes at full lock. Shallow nut could fix but I never take it hard lock like this.
There are 12 bolts that secure the leaf springs to the turntables (including the spring shackle to turntable bolts). Ten of those are installed from the outside in; meaning the bolt head is to the outside of the machine and the nuts are toward the center. The other two bolts; the rear bolt of the front left spring and the front bolt of the right rear spring are installed from the inside out; meaning the bolt heads are toward the center of the machine and the nuts are toward the outside. The reason is the thickness of the bolt head is thinner than the thickness of a nut, and thus there is just a bit more clearance between the tie rod and the bolt head.

New tie rods look great!

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
So, the new rod is doing the same thing (making contact with that bolt) as referenced in post 693. I thought you may get a little more clearance with the new ends, but looking again at the pics above your old ones are pretty much identical, whereas mine had a definite offset.

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I do not endorse splitting both sides of the threaded end of the tie rod. Perhaps there is enough thread on the end of the tie rod end to go past the double split. It just looks like an opportunity for a fail. The results look clean though. I checked other tuckers and found none with double splits. Is this a factory modification? I recommend checking the tie rod periodically at the end of the cuts for cracks.

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
The solution is what BFT said and reverse the rear bolts. In full lock either the front will touch or the rear will touch.

The OEM tubes only had slits and clamp one end. Due to the wear on the tubes and threads eventually one pulled out.

These tubes were an off the shelf solution we could modify. If I were to cut the tubes back to the slit end there is still quite a bit of thread engagement. The heavier wall tube, longer tie rod threads and leaving the unclamped side at the pivot I think is stronger that what was there originally. Much more so than the older models with smaller tubes and tie rods but I have been wrong before so we shall see.....

4 miles in the snow turning all directions over terrain no problems yet.

Making a tool like this is very helpful for the table tie rod ends.

Kids are learning to get unstuck and started back up on their own this year.

Snovid 20
03C02642-59DC-4338-BDF3-1AD780EA1CD7.jpeg
2C71E012-003C-4322-B3D1-0FB5063F4EA0.jpeg
5A8FFB6A-54EC-4017-816D-F58E68535A7A.jpeg
07C4811F-3717-40F8-ACE1-DE3CB73CB609.jpeg

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Today would have been a great day to hook onto one of your implements. What did you end up with over there? Tyngs got ~10", home ~12" but up north toward Lebanon they got 36+ in places! This was taken at 10am and it was still snowing lightly 15 minutes ago! Look familiar Squirrel?
1.jpg

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    235.9 KB · Views: 109

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
RedSqwrl brought him a replacement one this past summer. (he grooms and is trail master for the Blue Mt. Snowdusters)

Last edited:

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Opened some more trails today just in time for what looks to be a washout headed this way. Towed one back so much fun they ran it out of fuel.
7F58C845-6EC8-4D83-BD8E-7D553E7EED45.jpeg
3CE81C6C-BF9C-422D-A795-6C4A0328266E.jpeg

Foot brake caliper stuck and got hot!

I cracked the bleed valve and it released for the trip home. Looks like a rebuild in my future...