• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Bob Marley

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I know we have some reggae fans here and thought they might enjoy this news story.

ap_small.gif

Bank issues Marley commemorative coins
Thu Aug 24, 12:09 PM ET

Bob Marley's records long ago went platinum. Now the Bank of Jamaica is releasing commemorative coins in gold and silver with the late reggae superstar's dreadlocked likeness.

The 1,000 coins, produced by the British Royal Mint, are being sold for $100 each, bank spokeswoman Jacqueline Morgan said Wednesday.

"We've received quite a bit of interest already," Morgan said. Though the coins were intended to mark the 60th anniversary of Marley's birth, which was celebrated in 2005, the bank is just now offering them for sale, said Morgan, who didn't offer a further explanation.

It is the second time the Bank of Jamaica has issued coins bearing Marley's likeness. "The coins to commemorate his 50th birthday have totally sold out," Morgan said.

Born in Jamaica's rural St. Ann parish, Marley rose from the gritty shantytowns of Kingston to global stardom in the 1970s with hits such as "No Woman No Cry" and "I Shot the Sheriff." His lyrics promoting "one love" and social revolution made him an icon in developing countries worldwide.

Marley, who died of cancer in Miami at age 36 in 1981, remains one of Jamaica's most beloved national heroes.
___
On the Net:
Bob Marley: http://www.bobmarley.com/

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Ah "No Woman No Cry" was dang good, but "Buffalo Soldier was even better. HIs Red Red Wine was good also.

Yeah a fan here.

murph

jakki

thcri said:
Ah "No Woman No Cry" was dang good, but "Buffalo Soldier was even better. HIs Red Red Wine was good also.

Yeah a fan here.

murph

:burp:....hmmm, I thought Red Red Wine was UB-40......

AndyM

Charter Member
jakki said:

Correct. Though many people think this to be true, Bob Marley never covered Red Red Wine, which was written by Neil Diamond.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
AndyM said:
Correct. Though many people think this to be true, Bob Marley never covered Red Red Wine, which was written by Neil Diamond.

I have an old CD that was re-created should I say from some old songs. On it were some old songs sung by Bob and his brother???? I think. On it was Red Red Wine. I will have to go find that CD now that you all got me curious.

murph

dzalphakilo

Banned
jakki said:

Who originally did "The first cut is the deepest"?

Know your getting old when you "sing" a song and mention who originally "did it" and people look at you like "what the heck are you talking about".

Heard Neil Dimond is working or worked with that Rubin (?) guy who worked with Johnny Cash and the album wasn't that bad. Need to look it up.

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
dzalphakilo said:
Know your getting old when you "sing" a song and mention who originally "did it" and people look at you like "what the heck are you talking about".
About 15 years ago I worked alongside a woman in her 20's. She commented she was dating an older guy - "He's so old all his tunes are on cassettes!"

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
California said:
About 15 years ago I worked alongside a woman in her 20's. She commented she was dating an older guy - "He's so old all his tunes are on cassettes!"
15 years ago, that's all I had. :whistle: :pat:

AndyM

Charter Member
California said:

I still remember the day I went to the store to buy a record, and all the records were GONE! :confused2:

They were replaced by CD's, and the store didn't have room for records, cassettes, and CD's... I guess one of them had to go!

caeryon

AndyM said:
I still remember the day I went to the store to buy a record, and all the records were GONE! :confused2:

They were replaced by CD's, and the store didn't have room for records, cassettes, and CD's... I guess one of them had to go!
I started to moonlight in a "record store" in the late Eighties when CDs were first hitting the racks. I worked the "Classical" section, and that's where the first CDs appeared; I guess the theory was that we classical music geeks would be the best market for the new technology. The discs & CD players were still so expensive that we couldn't believe the format would catch on (sort of like BetaMax! LOL) I worked there about two years, and, by the time I quit, the only vinyl the store still had were dance singles for DJs and 45s we carried for places with jukeboxes.

I still own a lot of record albums, although one of the great regrets in my life is that, when I was supposedly moving into a one-room apartment in NYC, I tossed most of my collection. A whole who's-who of Sixties & Seventies rock: The Stones, The Who, The Beatles, Jefferson Airplane, Bowie, Dylan... all gone! The ones I have left were stored at my parents' house (and still are.) As long as I have a working stereo, though, I refuse to repurchase them on CD. Just being old and stubborn, I guess! (Must run in the family; my mom still has a working 8-track player and uses it.) BTW, I have Barry Manilow and Neil Diamond on vinyl, too, so diss my musical taste, why doncha? :smileywac I thought ol' Barry rocked on the Emmys the other night. Go, Copacabana guy!

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
dzalphakilo said:
Who originally did "The first cut is the deepest"?

Rod Stewart did the first version of it I heard. It was on 'Every Picture Tells A Story' (that LP was also called 'a nod is as good as a wink to a blind horse').

I think Cat Stevens wrote the song, but I can not remember hearing his version.

dzalphakilo

Banned
Doc said:
Rod Stewart did the first version of it I heard. It was on 'Every Picture Tells A Story' (that LP was also called 'a nod is as good as a wink to a blind horse').

I think Cat Stevens wrote the song, but I can not remember hearing his version.

John Sebastian, also the founder of The Lovin' Spoonful. He also sang the theme song for "Welcome back, Kotter".