• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Rattlesnake radio site

PJL

Today I ran a radio tech up to one of our repeater sites near North Bend to make a minor repair. We only needed to go about 5 miles but there is 3-4 feet of fresh powder up there. It was quite warm but the weather was stunning. Yesterday I added a small bilge blower in an attempt to keep the carb cool and prevent the vapor locking. It helped but when I left it running to cut a downed tree it still stumbled and stalled twice after we were done cutting. But it was warm out and I had been driving up a steep hill with the throttle wide open for some time.

Attachments

• IMG_0590.jpg
    IMG_0590.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 283
  • IMG_0589.jpg
    IMG_0589.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 278
  • DSC_0104.jpg
    DSC_0104.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 281
  • IMG_0591.jpg
    IMG_0591.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 287
  • DSC_0108.jpg
    DSC_0108.jpg
    219.1 KB · Views: 288
  • DSC_0106.jpg
    DSC_0106.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 281
  • DSC_0111.jpg
    DSC_0111.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 281

PJL

Not was, still is. We use it primarily for search and rescue. Or runs to the mountain top radio sites. Last winter I made four trips for radio repairs.

It came to us via the 1033 program. The Navy had it and surplussed it. We got it for free. It's a 1988 LMC1200. Had about 280 hours on it. About 350 now. It's in pretty nice shape for a 30 year old cat.

jo5

If it doesn't have one I'd put a electric fuel pump on
As close to the tank as you can and below it
Sometimes turning the heater on can help

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
looks like a good day and saved someone a few bucks by running them up.
did you bring the tree home?
jim

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
Just wondering, is there a chance you are seeing carb icing, not vapor lock? after a hard full throttle event you might have built up ice in the venturi.

PJL

Haven't tried the electric pump yet.

I left the tree there. Do you want it?

I have put my hand on the carb and it's hot to the touch. So I'm thinking vapor lock. But I like your theory.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I think a small piece of sheet steel mounted between the carb and manifold as a heat shield would help. My guess is fuel is boiling in the carb, as the radiant heat is heating the base and body of your carb.. Gasoline now days I fell boils at a lower point that the fuel of years ago. Maybe E10 is at fault here? I think it boils at a lower temp, due to the alcohol. Seems like I have seen this heat shield on a Thiokol at some point in the past few years.. Maybe here on the forum, I just don't remember, but I thought it was a factory deal. I have seen this set up on a 300 Ford in an industrial application, an enclosed trailer type air compressor.

I hope you find a cure for this gremlin in your machine.

Regards, Kirk

bobby wilkes

I have fuel injection on my 1985 lmc 1200 It costs about a grand but no vapor lock and the cold starts are great plus the mileage improvement is nice!!

PJL

I have been giving serious thought to a TBI system. What is on your 1200 Bobby?

bobby wilkes

It is from a company called affordable fuel injection There top of the line kit even has a dodge diesel electronic throttle pedal Mine is regular pedal but the drivability is amazing

PJL

I have been looking at their website. Which system did you get? They have a legacy system and also several versions specifically for the 300 industrial. Was the install easy?

Aaron Tucker

Today I ran a radio tech up to one of our repeater sites near North Bend to make a minor repair. We only needed to go about 5 miles but there is 3-4 feet of fresh powder up there. It was quite warm but the weather was stunning. Yesterday I added a small bilge blower in an attempt to keep the carb cool and prevent the vapor locking. It helped but when I left it running to cut a downed tree it still stumbled and stalled twice after we were done cutting. But it was warm out and I had been driving up a steep hill with the throttle wide open for some time.

Niccce pics

bobby wilkes

I bought my 1200 from Ed out in colorodo I beleave he goes by mkntracks on here The hardest part would be welding the fitting for the o2 sensor
in the exhaust :clap:

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
"I have put my hand on the carb and it's hot to the touch." Yep, that pretty much eliminates carb icing as the culprit.

I like the heat shield idea. The other thing to look at is the fuel line routing. Make certain the fuel isn't boiling by the time it gets to the carb.

PJL

I have some pieces of aluminum to make a heat shield out of. Just haven't had the time.

100MPH

This is what Bombardier put on my 1989 sv252g Skidozer Ford 300ci Industrial. Thin metal plate between the intake manifold and carb with insulation board attached. They even put it on the passenger side of the engine cowl to help with the heat. I believe this is what 300H&H is referring to. I would look into apiece of cement fiber board (used behind wood stoves) auger the center out enough to insert plate between carb and manifold for mounting. Note: also the fuel filter with the return line to tank that may help also. May also source some material from Mc Master Carr.

Attachments

• IMG_20180311_171801090_LL.jpg
    IMG_20180311_171801090_LL.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_20180311_171750172.jpg
    IMG_20180311_171750172.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_20180311_171810827_LL.jpg
    IMG_20180311_171810827_LL.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 155
Last edited:

PJL

Today I brought in some tools from home and crafted a heat shield. I had some 6x12 plates of aluminum to work with. I used a hole saw, drill bits, hack saw and a file. The new base gasket is much thicker too. I had to get longer studs. I think it looks pretty good. Engine runs fine. I am hoping to try it out on Friday. We still have a lot of snow on the 70 road for a trip up to the meadows.

Attachments

• IMG_0626(1).jpg
    IMG_0626(1).jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_0627.jpg
    IMG_0627.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_0628(1).jpg
    IMG_0628(1).jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_0629(1).jpg
    IMG_0629(1).jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 141

PJL

Well.... It didn't work as well as I had hoped. It was better but the heat was too much for my little bilge blower. It passed away about an hour into our trip.

Probably have that AFI system installed this summer.

As you can see the weather was awful. :wink:
Beats driving a desk.

Attachments

• DSC_0115.jpg
    DSC_0115.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 108
  • DSC_0116.jpg
    DSC_0116.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 104
  • DSC_0122.jpg
    DSC_0122.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:

PJL

Yeah and we had it all to ourselves. The groomer showed up around noon- 12:30ish and headed up. It was icy though. My driver had his hands full.

bushcaddy

i have an sv 250 with a ford 300, i made a heat made of carbon fibre welding blanket. work great , no heat rising carb is cool.