• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Corona Virus spreading ... US official says no need to worry

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Our province is closing all non essential services for 14 days.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toro...QndyzH2YDdsEJhWoa4v63B_qwyzqduTxXaW5HJKe6jZHc

The problem I see with this is that sure, we can do it but if others don't at the same time, this will just keep cycling around. This doesn't need to be a provincial effort, not even a country effort. Problem is that for a 14 day self isolation quarantine to be successful in beating this thing, it has to be a global shut down. Try coordinating that.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Some things just do not seem to be adding up, people.

The US coronavirus mortality rate dipped to 1.25% on Sunday using deaths (396) divided by confirmed cases (38,167).

The mortality rate for the coronavirus in the US continues to fall as more and more Americans are being tested.

12 days ago the US coronavirus mortality rate was 4.06

Today the mortality rate is down to 1.25%!

4.06% March 8 (22 deaths of 541 cases)
3.69% March 9 (26 of 704)
3.01% March 10 (30 of 994)
2.95% March 11 (38 of 1,295)
2.52% March 12 (42 of 1,695)
2.27% March 13 (49 of 2,247)
1.93% March 14 (57 of 2,954)
1.84% March 15 (68 of 3,680)
1.6% March 17 (116 of 7,301)
1.4% March 19 (161 of 11,329)
1.25% March 20 (237 of 18,845)
01.25% March 22 (396 of 38,167)

But this number may actually be much lower.

Hospitals and urgent care clinics are turning potential COVID-19 victims away on a daily basis. We all now know someone who was told not to come in to be tested because officials were only concentrating on the seriously ill.

That means the current mortality rate is SIGNIFICANTLY lower if you factor in ALL OF THE CASES that are not being reported, and where people are not feeling sick enough to be tested.

That number could be 6-7 times higher than the current number of 38,167 as a recent study suggests.

That puts the coronavirus mortality rate in the US at 0.1% to 0.2%. This is similar number to a flu virus.
Whilst this seems to be good news, let us remember that in reality we cannot directly compare this disease progression to the annual rise and fall of the common flu.

Given the draconian steps taken by the Government, steps not normally taken to combat the annual flu contagion, the number of deaths had better be lowered. Thereby skewing the death rate lower than would be normal for this disease.

A good thing yes, but I would suggest we not get too cocky about it.

Keep in mind that Italy and Spain are suffering much higher mortalities than are we in the USA. This Corona-19 virus is not the same as the common, but deadly, influenza. I suspect there is something sinister the Government is not telling us about the origin and nature of this COVID-19 pandemic.

Sorry to go "Conspiracy theory" but as TR points out, "things just don't add up."

Bannedjoe

Whilst this seems to be good news, let us remember that in reality we cannot directly compare this disease progression to the annual rise and fall of the common flu.

Given the draconian steps taken by the Government, steps not normally taken to combat the annual flu contagion, the number of deaths had better be lowered. Thereby skewing the death rate lower than would be normal for this disease.

A good thing yes, but I would suggest we not get too cocky about it.

Keep in mind that Italy and Spain are suffering much higher mortalities than are we in the USA. This Corona-19 virus is not the same as the common, but deadly, influenza. I suspect there is something sinister the Government is not telling us about the origin and nature of this COVID-19 pandemic.

Sorry to go "Conspiracy theory" but as TR points out, "things just don't add up."

I have a hard time not believing this might be practice to see how people respond to martial law.
But I would think that much more firmly if this was only happening in the USA.
Like many earth changing crises, we may never know the truth.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I still do not understand why people keep concentrating on the MORTALITY rate?

The problem is not actually how many die. It is how many need to be hospitalized.

If the flu is 0.1% and Covid-19 ends up being 0.1% that is not going to mean these are EQUAL health problems.

The problem with Covid-19 is the number of people who need CRITICAL CARE in a hospital. That seems to be something in the neighborhood of 15% depending upon which country we look at for guidance. And typically those hospitalized require 2 to 3 weeks of care versus less than 1 week for those with a seasonal flu.

With the seasonal Flu roughly 10% of the population catches it. With Covid-19 the estimates are that 30% to 70% of the population will get it.

Roughly 30% of 335,000,000 US residents = 100 Million infected.
Assuming 15% of those require hospitalization that is 15,000,000 hospital beds required.

15,000,000 hospital beds? Heck, be optimistic and cut that in half. Then be really optimistic and cut that number in half again. We are at 3.5 MILLION beds required. Compare that to the seasonal flu.

Preliminary Numbers from the CDC website for the SEASONAL FLU:
2018/19 Flu INFECTED = 35,520,883
2018/19 Flu HOSPITALIZED = 490,561
2018/19 Flu DEATHS = 34,157

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
I still do not understand why people keep concentrating on the MORTALITY rate?

Well, I certainly cannot speak for everyone here, but I can speak for myself.

I would much prefer not to die, so those death numbers kinda catch my eye. :smile:

Seriously speaking though, I hear what you are saying about the curve and the need to stay under it.

For me I am struggling with what I believe and what I think I should be very skeptical in. I am not buying all in, but I am not poo pooing this thing either or I would not be celebrating Day 11 of my house arrest.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Healthcare gets overwhelmed and the death rate for older people will skyrocket.

See Spain and Italy!

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
So at lunchtime I dropped off 2 boxes of 12ga shotshells with my Godson's father.

He was upset that his plans to go to Colorado skiing were cancelled due to Covid-19. He actually wanted to bring his family over to our house to pick up the shotshells and visit for a while. WTF? And then he proceeds to tell me that his daughter wants him to her back to college to pick up her stuff despite the fact that the campus is locked down.

His wife texted this evening saying they are now making plans to go to California in a couple months for vacation, they figure that the virus should be gone by that time?

The Summer Olympics are cancelled. Entire nations have stopped travel into their countries. Universities have cancelled graduations. But these people think the virus will be gone in 2 months?

Hmmm...

These are college educated, white collar people and they are totally clueless about what is happening around them.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
So at lunchtime I dropped off 2 boxes of 12ga shotshells with my Godson's father.

He was upset that his plans to go to Colorado skiing were cancelled due to Covid-19. He actually wanted to bring his family over to our house to pick up the shotshells and visit for a while. WTF? And then he proceeds to tell me that his daughter wants him to her back to college to pick up her stuff despite the fact that the campus is locked down.

His wife texted this evening saying they are now making plans to go to California in a couple months for vacation, they figure that the virus should be gone by that time?

The Summer Olympics are cancelled. Entire nations have stopped travel into their countries. Universities have cancelled graduations. But these people think the virus will be gone in 2 months?

Hmmm...

These are college educated, white collar people and they are totally clueless about what is happening around them.

....and the first ones that will be eating out of a dumpster if the shit really hits the fan. Pathetic creatures.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Received this email from Verizon.
20200323_232647.jpg

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter

This and there is of course "no coincidence" that the Wuhan Institute of Virology exists in the exact same place that this all started.

Hey underpaid employee can you please dispose of all these animals we just tested this strain of coronavirus on? Underpaid employee .... "sure" .... takes infected animals to wet market to supplement his crappy income.

But of course this would never happen because China has such a strong reputation for not cutting corners or making unethical decisions in the pursuit of profit (in the name of survival under a totalitarian regime).

Bannedjoe

I'm fairly certain there will be a point real soon where the bored and restless here just say screw it.
Or it's decided the damage from the caution just isn't worth it.

I think we're going to start seeing people react to this a lot stronger than hoarding toilet paper pretty soon.
No one likes to be told what to do, and at first there may have been largely reluctant compliance with the shelter at home concept.
My read is that people are not only bored at this point, they are feeling agitated and restless.
They're not only buying up toilet paper, but buying up guns and ammo.

How many times now has the mass purchasing of guns happened in the last some odd years?

IIRC, a gun rush happened just just before Obabma became president. People were worried that he'd come for guns, and stocks got depleted.
Surprisingly, he didn't come for guns right off the bat.
Things settled back down.
Then just before the next election, the repubs wanted to make him look bad, and jammed him up asking WTF he was going to do about guns, so he was forced to take a stance.

The R's then went to the public yelling, SEE???? we told you that's what he was going to do, and a long time of empty gun stores happened again almost immediately.

Here we are again, another gun buying frenzy, but this time people are going broke, hungry, tired, frustrated, bored, and above all scared.
This is a perfect scenario for utter chaos.

I believe in guns, I love guns, but sumbitch, there's a whole lot of guns and ammo out there, more than there probably has ever been in history.

Wise people better stay wise, stupid people better get smart.
The best we can hope for is a "Just in time" solution to this whole matter.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Out in California, they don't appear to give a damn.
Groups of people on the beaches like nothing at all is going on.

Bannedjoe

Out in California, they don't appear to give a damn.
Groups of people on the beaches like nothing at all is going on.

I could see it.
At least on the beach they're not confined in close quarters.
I'd be willing to bet the virus doesn't do well in salt water.
And...there's things to eat out there!!!

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Yup. The cartoon bobble head of the royal family. The queen is the one to protect, she is the last of the regal monarchs.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DAI3c9wE0Q[/ame]

Interesting piece on the possible connection to this virus, and it's origins.

It could be this thing came from the University of North Carolina's bio weapons laboratory. There were scientists from Wuhan who were working there. Stolen" Perhaps, or bought from someone inside...

This weaponizing virus's has got to stop on a global level. Other wise mankind might just kill itself....

Regards, Kirk

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Yup. The cartoon bobble head of the royal family. The queen is the one to protect, she is the last of the regal monarchs.

The world would be a better place without any monarchs. That family has leeched enough from their people over the years. The old hag is as complicit in the crimes as the rest of that "institution"

Burn it all down.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
About six months ago we did Three million single use samples of Purell(tm) I discovered them last week in the QA sample/retention room. I have about a 1,000 samples left over and have been handing them out at,,,; Gas stations.
Gas pump handles are possibly the most corrupted devices we all take for granted. Wear gloves or use a plastic grocery bag when pumping fuel.

BTW: I have yet to have anyone refuse the Purell samples.

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
About six months ago we did Three million single use samples of Purell(tm) I discovered them last week in the QA sample/retention room. I have about a 1,000 samples left over and have been handing them out at,,,; Gas stations.
Gas pump handles are possibly the most corrupted devices we all take for granted. Wear gloves or use a plastic grocery bag when pumping fuel.

BTW: I have yet to have anyone refuse the Purell samples.

You have any toilet paper samples you could pass out?

Asking for a friend . . .

:th_lmao:

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
A local booze distillery has sent away for some glycerin and is going to make a high proof alcohol into bulk hand sanitizer.

Farther north, the paper mill that makes private label 'bath tissue' has made thier White Mountain brand available locally.
Interesting to me that the paper pulp comes from somewhere else in trucks and the mill makes a giant huge roll of TP and ships that somewhere else by truck to be made into consumer size rolls.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
A local booze distillery has sent away for some glycerin and is going to make a high proof alcohol into bulk hand sanitizer.

Farther north, the paper mill that makes private label 'bath tissue' has made thier White Mountain brand available locally.
Interesting to me that the paper pulp comes from somewhere else in trucks and the mill makes a giant huge roll of TP and ships that somewhere else by truck to be made into consumer size rolls.

We have a handful of local distilleries in my area and they all converted to make hand sanitizer too. I think it's great to see people pitching in as they can.

My brother is a purchasing agent for a hospital group locally, he couldn't find hand sanitizer for the doctors offices associated with the hospital. One of my gun/bourbon buddies is close friends with the owner of one of the local distilleries so we put the 2 in touch.