• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

What's This

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
I have had my new laptop now for over a month. Yesterday in my temporary directory some new files started to show up and I can not delete them.

Perflib_Perfdata_1a0.dat

I typically will delete my temp's about once every week and have never seen this type of file before. I can not delete them. I log in as another user and they are not there under my temps not the new user temps. Does anyone know what these files are??

murph

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
These are some sort of performance data files used by the system, or more likely some application. If the system was turned off before a normal shutdown, they may have been 'orphaned'. Try running services.msc from the command prompt, then look down the list on the right for 'Performance Logs and Alerts'. D-click that and try stopping the service, then reboot. You should then be able to delete these files. After that, you can restart the service if you want. Some applications/services won't run without it.

Last edited:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Good suggestion Bob. ....but if that does not work, go to the dir and right click on the file. Then view permissions. See who owns the file, the date created etc. If you have ownership, you can change the permissions. If you don't have ownership, you might have to log in as admin to change the permissions (if the file is read only for example) then you should be able to delete them.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
These are some sort of performance data files used by the system, or more likely some application. If the system was turned off before a normal shutdown, they may have been 'orphaned'. Try running services.msc from the command prompt, then look down the list on the right for 'Performance Logs and Alerts'. D-click that and try stopping the service, then reboot. You should then be able to delete these files. After that, you can restart the service if you want. Some applications/services won't run without it.

I did stop that service, in fact it wasn't even running when I got there. However, I still can not delete them files. The files is I log in as another user are gone. They just start when I log in under my normal user. They update every time I start my computer up. I click on the properties for the files but have no programs attached to them.

murph

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
murph,
Those are data files, much like an index or log. Almost everyone will have them in their browser folders as well, named index.dat
For the most part, Windows accesses them every time the computer is started and will not allow you to delete them normally. Do a Google search on "deleting .dat files" and there are some solutions there on how to get rid of them.