• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Need a GREAT sounding boombox.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have a need for a boom box that will crank out the tunes. I looked at Circut City and was disappointed.

Anyone know of a kick butt boom box that will play very LOUD?

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Can't wait to see it on your shoulder going to the office! ................. :yum:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
.....so I'm only 20 years behind the times .... :hide:

but with the Bose technology, and small speaker technology I'm hoping they make one that is truly portable and can put out the sounds.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
To me, the best sounding boom box is one that is turned OFF!

I also have found that as I get older some times I do appreciate the silence or nature sounds more than I ever have. But there are times when you want to ROCK!!!! And I have some outside noise to overcome, so, a boombox seems like a good alternative. I will have a cigarette lighter plug close by so it will have an external power source available.

It will be used on the fly-bridge deck of a houseboat.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
How about a "bookshelf stereo" (sometimes called "executive stereos") they are basically high end boom boxes, that have speakers that are not connected to the head unit. I have a nice little Panasonic unit in my office, the speakers are nice, the whole thing is compact and while it does not have a handle on the top, it would be easy enough to move from home to boat and back. It also would allow you to place and aim the speakers so that you actually get stereo separation.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
That sounds good Bob ....but all those run on 110 power. I need on that will run on 12 volts.
Have you seen any that are ac/dc?

Also, water resistant would be a good feature. .....I know water proof is out of the question.

I considered getting a car stereo and adding speakers and building the enclosure, but before I go that far, I'm hoping to find a boom box that will make things a little easier.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
It will be used on the fly-bridge deck of a houseboat.
Sony has a few nice ones that may interest you. There's a few different models. I have one of these (although I didn't purchase through that store).

It can crank the tunes, it's water resistant, runs on D-cell batteries and has an AC adapter.

Cowboyjg

Country Club Member
Site Supporter
Doc, Have you considered installing an inverter. Then you could plug in most any boom box you wanted.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
No I had not considered that Cowboy. But to complicate things the houseboat has 120 power, when plugged into dockside power or when running the generator. The 12 volt system comes from running the engines. I want the boom box for cruising, so I don't want the generator running. I'll already have two engines running to push us along.
The one BC posted looks nice, but I can't imagine it putting out enough sound to cover the top side of a 14 x 50 houseboat. Maybe when sitting still, but once underway I don't believe it would do it.
There is a stereo unit in the helm with 4 (or 6) speakers already hooked up, but they are all for inside. I looked for wireless speakers to extend speakers to the top but have not had any luck going that route either.
I'm just trying to figure out if I have real viable options or not for decent sound on the upper deck without installing another separate marine stereo system.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks for the suggestion PB. I had looked at those at West Marine and Overtons. I refuse to put any holes in the roof for obvious reasons and that is why I'm looking at other options for sound.

TOMLESCOEQUIP

Just Plinkin Away the $$
PROBLEM SOLVED !!!!!!!!

Attachments

• wtf_ghetto_blaster_edition.jpg
    wtf_ghetto_blaster_edition.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 101

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Hey Tom,
Good find. Bring that bad boy on down this way and I'll take ya for a boat ride!!! (just to clarify before someone jumps on it ...I am talking about the boom box) :D

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Thanks for the suggestion PB. I had looked at those at West Marine and Overtons. I refuse to put any holes in the roof for obvious reasons and that is why I'm looking at other options for sound.

Couldn't you clamp them to something or glue them on?

Cowboyjg

Country Club Member
Site Supporter
Doc, the inverter connects to the battery. Engines run, charge battery, power inverter, Play LOUD music, no generator. Engines don't run, battery powers inverter, play Loud music, still no generator. You could even set up a battery specifically for the inverter so it doesn't take from the power needed to start the engines.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Doc, the inverter connects to the battery. Engines run, charge battery, power inverter, Play LOUD music, no generator. Engines don't run, battery powers inverter, play Loud music, still no generator. You could even set up a battery specifically for the inverter so it doesn't take from the power needed to start the engines.

Thanks for the additional info Cowboy. :beer: :thumb: