• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

FF crashed my computer!

Spiffy1

Huh?
SUPER Site Supporter
OK, now that I teased everyone, not really. But is was one of, if not the, last thing I used before a nasty hard drive crash. Yeah, Yeah, I know, I'm running "10^6 hour" mtbf SCSI drives too.

Keep saying I'll recover my data, but still running my wife's laptop. Oh well, good excuse to post! :poke:

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
That's what ya get for running all that fancy stuff ............ :poke:

Spiffy1

Huh?
SUPER Site Supporter
Raid 5 is your friend Spiffy. :D

Oh I forgot mention the ugly irony here :pat: Actually, dumb move on top of dumb move on top of dumb move :4_11_9: ....

I bought 4 drives intending to run a Raid 10, but decided it might be nice to have an OS drive and a data drive [I don't recall if the Adaptec I had on hand ran 10 anyway], so Raid 1 became the plan.

Well, the FIL had a bunch of video editing, so I thought short term, I'd go with Raid 0: size and speed: oh yeah......but for those who don't use Raid: NO REDUNDANCY [the "R" in RAID]. But I never got around to reconfiguring.

I did make a back up file of all important data to the opposing drives, so it's OK just will be more annoying than a simple swap. Oh, I also bought a 160G SATA [now a small Raptor for my OS drive in the first place would have been smart, and RAID 10 for everything else]and copied both drive arrays to that ocassionally, but [now we're talking really stupid], I partitioned that one so I had an indivual drive for backing up "C" and "D", not a bad thing, but "C" is the array with a bad drive.....OH boy I hate to even admit this, so when I was using that to try to fix my arrays, I did a freshi install of Windows on it.......and chewed up my entire back-up!!! [except what's copied onto D] and whatever I can pull from C when it's in a good enough mood to work in a slave mode [it's well beyond working as a boot, I replace the files, and they're chewed up before I even see the desktop].

Oh well if someone can at least :yum: about my errors, so can I :beer:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Oh well if someone can at least :yum: about my errors, so can I :beer:
OK, I'd laugh if I understood what you were saying...

Want to say one more time, this time in English (or would it still be over my head)?

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
:eek: I can laugh with you, but I've also done stuff like that. Good intentions and knowing better won't get the data back .... but we learn as we go. Those external drives are really getting cheap and make excellent back ups ..but I'm sure you know that to. :D
Good luck putting it all back together ....and set up that raid partition this time. I'm not yet sold on raid 10, so still use raid 5 on the majority of my servers, and raid 1 for the OS drives.

Spiffy1

Huh?
SUPER Site Supporter
OK, I'd laugh if I understood what you were saying...

Want to say one more time, this time in English (or would it still be over my head)?

English? I'll give it a try....

Bloody 'puter took a William. This poohead had it set up for big and fast instead of quick recovory and really ballsed up my data trying to fix it. Bob's your uncle....

Now if I'd just quit buggering about, it'd already be running again! :pat:

Spiffy1

Huh?
SUPER Site Supporter
:eek: I can laugh with you, but I've also done stuff like that. Good intentions and knowing better won't get the data back .... but we learn as we go. Those external drives are really getting cheap and make excellent back ups ..but I'm sure you know that to. :D
Good luck putting it all back together ....and set up that raid partition this time. I'm not yet sold on raid 10, so still use raid 5 on the majority of my servers, and raid 1 for the OS drives.

Thanks Doc! Good to hear I'm not the only one that's had the right backup intentions - only to mess up [and admit it] :thumb:

Not sure how I'll reconfigure the raid, but if I run any 0 at all: it certainly won't be 0 only!

With the ease and cost of externals now, I really should go that route! Of course in this chain of events, it'd probably been still in the package..... :shitHitFan: Ahhhh, next time!!! :thumb: