• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Backing up e-mail

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I want to back up my e-mail to an external drive and keep in sync using the Briefcase option.

Am I doing it right by copying all my identities? They have a big long cryptic name filled with letters and numbers but the end result is it contains a bunch of folders that end in .DBX These DBX files match my e-mail folders and seem the right size for their respective content/# of e-mails.

I can't open the DBX files but if I need to recover my e-mail identities, can it do it from these files?

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
What is your email client? Thunderbird?
Sorry Dave but I don't understand the question. I'm running Outlook Express which is "I think" the answer to your question.

I have 9 or so e-mail identities. MS Outlook doesn't seem to handle them as well as Express so I've gotten accustomed to using Express over the years.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
It sounds like you are on the right track Brian. I would back one of them up and then try to import it / read it to ensure you got everything.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks Doc.

You're right. I should try to recover all my files (including e-mail) to another blank PC to see if/how it works.

I will say, I am loving these external drives as long as I can recover from them. Backups are a piece of cake.