PDA

View Full Version : Backing up e-mail

bczoom
04-15-2007, 10:18 AM
I want to back up my e-mail to an external drive and keep in sync using the Briefcase option.

Am I doing it right by copying all my identities? They have a big long cryptic name filled with letters and numbers but the end result is it contains a bunch of folders that end in .DBX These DBX files match my e-mail folders and seem the right size for their respective content/# of e-mails.

I can't open the DBX files but if I need to recover my e-mail identities, can it do it from these files?

DaveNay
04-15-2007, 10:20 AM
What is your email client? Thunderbird?

bczoom
04-15-2007, 08:19 PM
What is your email client? Thunderbird?
Sorry Dave but I don't understand the question. I'm running Outlook Express which is "I think" the answer to your question.

I have 9 or so e-mail identities. MS Outlook doesn't seem to handle them as well as Express so I've gotten accustomed to using Express over the years.

Doc
04-15-2007, 08:30 PM
It sounds like you are on the right track Brian. I would back one of them up and then try to import it / read it to ensure you got everything.

bczoom
04-15-2007, 09:08 PM
Thanks Doc.

You're right. I should try to recover all my files (including e-mail) to another blank PC to see if/how it works.

I will say, I am loving these external drives as long as I can recover from them. Backups are a piece of cake.