• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

EXcel New Problem

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
For some reason lately whenever I have two or more Excel spread sheets open, if I close one my computer will close all. I didn't think much about it, it is very annoying but I just had to reload everything since I lost my hard drive and even since I reloaded everything I still have the problem. I don't have the problem when I close word documents just excel. Tonight I am switching back and forth from about 5 sheets and when done I close and then everything is gone and have to go find them again. I will learn eventually but it is starting to get sicking. Any one got any ideas?

murph

REDDOGTWO

Unemployed Veg. Peddler
SUPER Site Supporter
Mine will all close if they are kept in the same file. The ones in other files will not close when you close one from a separate file.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Mine are all separate files. I should have made myself a bit clearer. When I re-read my post I got to thinking I wrote that wrong. But I have the problem with the actual files not the worksheets.

And it never use to do that until just before I re-formated. I would have thought if I clicked on some tab wrong it would have fixed when I reformated.

murph

REDDOGTWO

Unemployed Veg. Peddler
SUPER Site Supporter
Then it is beyond my capabilities. I just use the programs and they usually work for my or I work with them the way they work.:rolleyes:

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Are you using the upper right X for exiting? Sure your exiting with the right X. There is a program X and a file X when more than one file is open,

Gatorboy

thcri said:
For some reason lately whenever I have two or more Excel spread sheets open, if I close one my computer will close all.

I would guess (actually I am positive) you are closing the application -- and not one of the individual spreadsheet files.

elsmitro

floppy member
Gatorboy said:
I would guess (actually I am positive) you are closing the application -- and not one of the individual spreadsheet files.

GB is 'probably' right...:smileywac
When you switch between spreadsheets you should click on (top menu bar) ‘Window’ then ‘the file name’. When you have multiples open and want the current (top) one closed click ‘File’, ‘Close’.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
In Word, if you use the X on the very top (blue bar), it only closes that particular document and doesn't close any others. If it's the last or only document, it will close the application as well. Basically, it doesn't matter which "X" you use.

In Excel, it closes all of them so you want to use the lower (Close Window) "X".

It's just not consistant across the applications.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gatorboy said:

Yeah looks like your right, but like word I use to click on the upper X when I have two or more applications open. It use to just close one, now it closes all. Weird but I see what I can do now to keep the others open.

murph