• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Clean shave, scruff, mustache, beard?

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I was on another forum (yea, I know but don't yell at me too much) but a conversation was started by a member that said that beards make people look scruffy and their appearance isn't appropriate in a business environment.

Well, I have a mustache and beard. Well kept but regardless, I don't think I've ever been considered being hygenically challenged. I meet with "big wigs" regularly and they have never seemed to care and often have facial hair themselves.

What do you think? Also, where are you in terms of clean-faced or with facial hair.

dzalphakilo

Banned
First impressions are somewhat important, but if you work with customers on a regular basis and you get to know them, and they you, it's your actions that gets and keeps the business, not how you look.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I had a beard but then I decided I wanted my wife (girlfriend at the time)to kiss me more. Getting rid of the beard worked - for a while.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
I don't have a problem with it as long as it is kept neat and clean. But I do hate being at the table with a guy who has more food on his beard than he has managed to stick in his mouth. As for my inlaws, they absolutely hate it. So I am beardless. My face is as smooth as a baby's bottom.:rolleyes:

murph

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
I wear a short beard/moustache. I usually cut my hair every week or two, starting at my chin and finishing at the collar in the back. Everything gets trimmed to 1/8"

I do shave every day to keep my beard neat and tidy, though.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
I'll switch from week to week. :wave: It takes me about 8 or 9 days to grow my beard to where I keep it. So, it all depends on when you see me. My clients don't even notice anymore. I'll either be completely clean shaven, full beard, or mustache. I will never go with a goat because of the permanently burned in image of my pledge son back from college days. I'll just say that his girlfriend was down to visit and he came into my room from his one night with a goat when he didn't have one an hour earlier. :puke1:

Otherwise, most of the time I sort of have the Don Johnson scruff look on weekends and clean during the work week. I see no need to shave on weekends.

But, hey, I have another question. When I got my hair cut a couple of weeks ago, a hair was found growing out of the base of my ear! :eek: WTF is up with that!? Now I'm having nightmares that I'm going to need a weed wacker taken to my ears monthly.:eek: I thought only old people had a jungle growing in their ears!! I'm only in my mid 40's and only have a couple of gray hairs. Now I'm worried that I'm going to need to start shaving a wild bush sprouting outa my nose as well! :cry:

humor_me

Dargo said:
...When I got my hair cut a couple of weeks ago, a hair was found growing out of the base of my ear! :eek: WTF is up with that!? Now I'm having nightmares that I'm going to need a weed wacker taken to my ears monthly.:eek: I thought only old people had a jungle growing in their ears!! I'm only in my mid 40's and only have a couple of gray hairs. Now I'm worried that I'm going to need to start shaving a wild bush sprouting outa my nose as well! :cry:

Hell, wait til the barber asks you if you want your eyebrows trimmed:eek: :yum: :yum:

I wear a full, trimmed beard with a Jaime Hyneman-length moustache (black-gray, not red). If I don't trim it, I tend to look like Geico's Cavemen - you know hair everywhere. So trimming and shaping is a must.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Dargo said:
When I got my hair cut a couple of weeks ago, a hair was found growing out of the base of my ear! :eek: WTF is up with that!? Now I'm having nightmares that I'm going to need a weed wacker taken to my ears monthly.:eek: I thought only old people had a jungle growing in their ears!! I'm only in my mid 40's and only have a couple of gray hairs. Now I'm worried that I'm going to need to start shaving a wild bush sprouting outa my nose as well! :cry:

Welcome to the world of the heavily hirsute. There's a reason why they make them "nose and ear" hair trimmers.

I'm not even 40 yet and I've got hair growing out of my ears. I've been trimming the nose forest for years - otherwise it would probably look like a hitler mustache. :smileywac

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
humor_me said:
Hell, wait til the barber asks you if you want your eyebrows trimmed:eek: :yum: :yum:

And if the barber forgets, watch out for your wife coming at you with scissors. My wife calls them those wild ass hairs.
I have the ever popular (NOT) goatee. I've had a mushtache for years. Went to a full beard. It made me look too old. I've settled on a goatee and the don johnson scruf look. I only shave once or twice a week. :thumb:

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
PBinWA said:
I've got wild ass hair too but it's in the right place!:yum:

I'm not very flexible, I don't know if I do or not...

My wild ass neighbor has not only a full beard in his ears, but also on the tip of his nose; outside of his nose that is! Man, I just wanna ask him why he doesn't shave his nose or wax 'em off or whatever, but I may not want to know the answer. :smileywac

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Doc said:
I have the ever popular (NOT) goatee. I've had a mushtache for years.

Okay, not to just be nice, but a goat looks okay on some guys but not on others. I've just been mentally scarred for life from my college experience.

I only think a beard looks bad when it's a ZZ Top type, or if the person has a Fidel Castro type; you know, about a dozen or so wild ass hairs that are allowed to grow wild and are supposed to be considered a beard. Maybe it's just me, but I feel that you need to have more than a dozen facial hairs in order to grow a beard...:tiphat:

*edit*

Okay, to be fair, here is what I consider my "full length" 8 or 9 day beard.

Attachments

• beard.jpg
    beard.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 161

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
bczoom said:
What do you think?

It is like judging a book by its cover. You have to look inside to see the real deal. That goes for people also......:thumb:

I usually have the nicely trimmed mustache but at times have grown the well trimmed beard and have also went the total scruffy look in the fall for hunting season. I guess I want to blend with the other animals during hunting season. :yum: Too much ice/frost build up in winter for the full beard with my outside duties...:snow2_smi:

ghautz

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
It is necessary to make a favorable impression on bosses and customers. Beards were not common in my workplace, usually found only on maverick types who had no desire to advance.

I wore a mustache for many years. Haven't picked up a razor since the day I retired. Keep the beard trimmed enough that it doesn't get caught in my coat zipper. Once I used the wife's hairbrush on the beard. Left a couple of long grey hairs in it. When she found them she panicked until she figured out where they came from.:D I now have my own brush.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
ghautz said:
It is necessary to make a favorable impression on bosses and customers. Beards were not common in my workplace, usually found only on maverick types who had no desire to advance.
Maverick types.... maybe (and I resemble that statement).

Advancement.... I don't think so anymore. Back in the '70s and '80s when suits were the "proper" business attire, facial hair was more frowned upon. In the past 15-20 years, dress codes have become more casual. As long as you and your clothes are clean and you maintain a level of non-scruffy appearance, I don't believe it's an issue.

I've been wearing a beard (probably about like Brent's or maybe a little longer) for over 10 years now. In that time, I've met with the CEO's, CFO's... of billion $ companies and have never had an issue. Their "first impression" was more of what came out of my mouth in the first 2 minutes.

Ice Queen

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
From a woman's point of view (well my own really), my ex-husband had a beard and it was like kissing sandpaper, really off putting, but it did help to hide his face!!