PDA

View Full Version : HELP.......Tri Tip

Jen's Jeep
01-11-2007, 11:45 AM
Ok...we have no BBQ, except a little Webber, thats no way to cook a tri-tip.

I need a yummy recipe for tri-tip. I usually stick it in the oven, but I wanna try something different.

Im searching the web, but I figured you guys might have a secret you might share:whistle:

Thank you much!!

DAP
01-11-2007, 02:06 PM
Yea well Ok, I'll go right ahead and say what thousands of others are thinking .... what the hell is a tri-tip?

Let's start there.

:whistle_lips:

Eric L
01-11-2007, 02:20 PM
Yea well Ok, I'll go right ahead and say what thousands of others are thinking .... what the hell is a tri-tip?

Let's start there.

:whistle_lips:

It's a regional thing, I dunno what else to call it tho... think "yummy beef steak". A friend of mine moved to Texas and they dont know what it is down there either.

http://www.chicagosteaks.com/whybuy/cut_loin.asp

Jen's Jeep
01-11-2007, 02:41 PM
People really dont know what tri-tip is??:pat:

jim slagle
01-11-2007, 02:48 PM

I'm from Texas, raised on a cattle ranch. Never heard of that cut until today.:confused2:

Jim

working woman
01-11-2007, 03:17 PM
Never heard of the cut either. Is it like a london broil or not as tuff?

Eric L
01-11-2007, 03:22 PM
Never heard of the cut either. Is it like a london broil or not as tuff?

Not tough at all if done properly... much better than London Broil...lotsa marbleing

DAP
01-11-2007, 03:24 PM

You send me some tri-tips and I'll send you some whoopie pies.

:thumb:

working woman
01-11-2007, 03:25 PM
Not tough at all if done properly... much better than London Broil...lotsa marbleing

Have a reciepe for polynesian style beef if you are interested in that.

Jen's Jeep
01-11-2007, 03:25 PM
You send me some tri-tips and I'll send you some whoopie pies.

:thumb:

Do I want to know?
:D

working woman
01-11-2007, 03:38 PM
I'll take that as a yes so here it is this is for a 1-3 lb piece of meat
1/4 c all purpose flour
1 8oz can pineapple slices w/ juice
1/4 c soy sauce4 tbs lemon juice
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 cold water
2 tbsp. shortening
2 tbsp brown sugar
1/2 tsp dried crushed basil
2 tbsp. cornstarch
coat meat with flour and brown in hot shortening. Drain pineapple, reserve juice. Mix reserve juice, lemon juice, soy sauce, brown sugar basil and garlic and pour over meat. Cover and roast at 350 until tender about 2 hrs. Base occ. with combined mix. and drippings. During the last 10 min of roasting, place pineapples on top of roast.
When done pour juices into 2 c measuring cup, skim fat. add water to juices to make 2 c. return to pan. Blend cold water and cornstarch and stir into pan juices, cook stirring occ. until think and bubbly. Drizzle roast with 3 T. of the sauce. Serve remaining sauce with roast.

PBinWA
01-11-2007, 04:03 PM
I'd never heard of it until I moved to Portland, OR. It's kind of Western States thing I think.

http://bbq.about.com/cs/beef/a/aa071401a.htm

I still haven't had one though. I keep meaning to but I don't do the usual shopping so I need to specifically go and get it. Which I am too lazy to do.

PB

Eric L
01-11-2007, 05:06 PM
I'd never heard of it until I moved to Portland, OR. It's kind of Western States thing I think.

Yeah, we breed the cattle here specifically to have different cuts of beef...

kensfarm
01-12-2007, 09:42 AM

Sounds like an unusually endowed man! :yankchain: