• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Wireless questions??

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have a newer HP laptop with 802.11b/g connection. I want to get a wireless router or hub with the greatest range, is it possible to be able to get signal 2-3 mi away with an external ant?? If so what brands would you recommend??

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
The furthest I've seen advertised is 328 feet.
It sure would be interesting if you could get a signal amplifier and make it work that far.
Are the locations line of sight by any chance?

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
You need to use directional antennaes or a big tower to get that kind of range. In general you need to have line of sight and stationary antennas.

You can do better but it's going to cost you in dollars and complexity.

What's your budget?

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter
Yes, it is line of sight. 328ft my neighbor cannot even steal that signal!!!

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
My knowledge of wireless is the extent of "I can spell it".

I have not heard of going that far myself.

Not sure if it's an alternative/option for you but can you use a cell phone?

I have a package (software and cable) that allows me to connect my cell phone to my PC for internet access. I have the slow version which has no monthly charge (it just uses minutes) but they have a monthly service that's pretty fast.

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
This region is known as 'Telecom Valley' (home of O'Reilly's networking books) and the early experimenters
(see http://nocat.net/) set up 802.11 relays that reached across the valley, some ten miles.

That group's website has a lot of technical papers showing how they did it.

ddrane2115

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Unless you really secure this connection, everyone that passes there with a wireless will be using your stuff for free...........and could get on your laptop also.

Security is the key word, and the name of your dog is not secure enough.

Ff1995%wAlLYW0rlD!2006, is secure enough that someone even with a cracker is not going to stick around long enough to do damage.