• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Corrupt Portable Hardrive

k-dog

I've had this Toshiba 1 TB portable hard drive for about 5 months and when I used it today on a Windows 8 machine it gives me an error message when I click on it that is is not available and corrupt. I tried to do the check from properties and Tools on it and it says it can't be done because Windows can't access the disk. One thing I notice is before when I hooked it up it would always say E: Toshiba or something or another and now it just says E:

My main concern is getting the data as I spent a lot of time on it. It's nothing personal or pictures but audio sermons from my church.

Any simple suggestions or should I just take it to someone to get the info?

I don't want to spend a lot of time messing with it if it won't cost that much for someone to fix. It's probably only got 100 gig of info on it now.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Does it spin up and run? If so you may be able to a chk disk and repair any bad sectors.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
What kind of system did you back up to the toshiba? If possible you might hook it up to that system again and see if the data shows up.
Has it ever worked with your windows 8 machine?

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
We have a Toshiba hard drive and on ours, it was a bad USB cable. Might try wiggling the cable around where it connects to the drive itself and see if your computer sees it. We bought a new cable for about $4 on Amazon and all is well again.

k-dog

I just copy data over to it. I don't really do a backup to it, but I've always used it on my windows 8 machine without any problems.

As far as the back cable, would it still recognize that there is a drive hooked to the USB? I have two other toshiba portable hard drives so I'll try one of those cables on it.