• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Too old for new windows!

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
My old XP machine died after 9 years. Had to order online to get one that had Win7. It comes with Win8pro discs and I need to figure out how to make discs for the Win7pro in case the hard drive would ever crash. I made a system repair disc but to make image discs it say it could take up to 38 gig. The win8 is only 5 discs which is about what it took to make discs for the win7 laptop. Any ideas why it would want so many for an image?

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I hear ya Mulie, but if I were you I might use it, back up your personal important data, pics etc ...and take a chance that you won't need to reload the OS. Years ago reloading the OS was much more common. As of late I have not had to reload one for years, maybe decades. So, it's probably not worth the hassle. And as a backup plan IF you did need to reload Win7, there is always ebay. You could purchase a Win7 CD and go from there.
I'm in the same boat. Been running Win7 now for years and never had to reload. If the need comes up I'll have to buy a CD cause one did not come with this refurbished laptop.

I have no clue why it would take 5 or more disks to make a backup like that. Must be a lot of bloat ware on the machine ...otherwise I've no clue.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Windows8disk.jpg

ki0ho

GOLD Site Supporter
I feel for ya Mule.......we are all apple here....05 was the last year we had any windows machines ,and I dont miss it!!!! My reload came on a thumb drive...stick it in and let it do its thing. Hope things work out for ya.:wink: