• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Cause of the white lines?

JayC

Huh?
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica] I would have surely thought the monitor was dying being it is nearly 6 years old. But the kicker was, when I started up the computer one time I got white lines all over the screen. This started immediately at boot up. That would signify to me a hardware problem. But, when I got into Windows and opened Firefox to post about it, the computer froze. I pressed reset and everything displayed normal again (except for the "jiggies"). That's what made me worry about the video card. I can't think it is the video card because it is less than a year old and worked flawlessly. Now I know that doesn't mean it couldn't be the card. But, I got an idea to bring in the old computer to test it. I completely forgot about the old machine. I brought it in, and hooked it up. It didn't do it right away, but the screen did start doing the "jiggies" when I started a game. I know what I saw and I now believe it is the monitor that is dying. However, that still doesn't explain the white lines and the computer freezing. What could have caused that? Could the monitor have had that kind of influence? Also, I started thinking again about the demo I downloaded of Lock On: Modern Air Combat. I only played for a little bit, like 30 minutes. It was too complicated. lol Anywho, I went into the options about 25 mintues in and noticed the refresh rate was 100Hz! I think the resolution was 1024x768, although I can't remember. This monitor is not to be use at 1024x768 over 85Hz MAXIMUM. It is recommended for 1024x768 to be 60Hz. Could having the refresh rate that high, even for only about 25 minutes, caused any damage? I'm surprised I didn't get any warnings before playing the demo.[/font]

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Not sure if changing the Hrtz like that can damage it, but might just be age or a bad connection. Good excuse to get one of those new thin monitors. :D

JayC

Huh?
I thought about a flat panel LCD monitor, but I don't think I'm sold on it yet. I'm still up in the air about that kind of thing. Plus, I still think they are too expensive. I'm cheap, what can I say? :eek::StickOutT