• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Can I build my own website ???

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
I just don't think I can do the "do it yourself" website that I see on the internet . Not smart enough .
I need a website built . Who does this ???
I am willing to pay someone for setting up my website , but do not know where to start . I need one now.
Anyone interested in doing this or do we have someone that does this as a job on FF ???
PM if you do and lets talk business

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Is it going to be an e-commerce website?

If so, make a serious effort to build an i-Pad and i-Phone friendly website, or make a secondary 'mobile' website.

Currently 40% of all web browsing is done on 'mobile devices' but in less than a year they are projecting that 'mobile devices' will surpass regular computers and may reach 60% of the web browsing/shopping.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Is it going to be an e-commerce website?

If so, make a serious effort to build an i-Pad and i-Phone friendly website, or make a secondary 'mobile' website.

Currently 40% of all web browsing is done on 'mobile devices' but in less than a year they are projecting that 'mobile devices' will surpass regular computers and may reach 60% of the web browsing/shopping.

Gee Bob ,

It would be damn nice if I knew what you just said :unsure:..

That's why I think I need a expert .

Bamby

I'm thinking that if Al gets it written right the formatting will be OK. The post itself made me curious and I just went the wife's android phone and looked at our site for the first time and it viewed perfectly. And it was written some time ago with no thought or formatting slanted towards tablets or phones for that matter.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
What do you want the website to do?

Tell people looking on the internet that I have the best priced and best looking apartments avalible for rent on a vacation / weekly short term or long term .
I want to include pictures of the units and a few pictures of the wildlife that one can expect to see while staying here .
I also want to be able to book apartments and take deposits online . With hunting season coming up we are already getting calls

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I've made two for myself, but they are far from professional looking. I certainly don't know how to do one that takes bookings and deposits online.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Allen for what you want to do you can actually do it yourself.

Here is the website for the Northwest Indiana Fencing Club and, if you can believe it, I am the webmaster for the website and I've done about 90% of the content and formatting. LINK => http://www.nwifencingclub.com/index2.html

Now after looking over the club website, go to www.startlogic.com they are the service that we use. They have "canned" formatting options and things that will allow you to build your own website. If I can do it so can you.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Allen for what you want to do you can actually do it yourself.

Here is the website for the Northwest Indiana Fencing Club and, if you can believe it, I am the webmaster for the website and I've done about 90% of the content and formatting. LINK => http://www.nwifencingclub.com/index2.html

Now after looking over the club website, go to www.startlogic.com they are the service that we use. They have "canned" formatting options and things that will allow you to build your own website. If I can do it so can you.

No No NO !!! I do not want to do it myself . I am not good enough and it takes away time from drinking Dr. Rums .

Catavenger

SUPER Site Supporter
I've done a couple of websites over the years as hobbies.
This is the one I have up now: http://catavenger.com & http://catavenger.net (same website but I own both domain names).

There are various programs to make them but I did it the old fashioned way and used hand written HTML code.

If you want to see the HTML code (on a Windows computer anyway) click on "view" (which is left of "favorites) on the tool bar then click "source" that will show you the HTML code used to make the website. I don't know much at all about JAVA script only have a couple bit's of that.
Most websites also have Templates. You don't need to know ANYTHING.
Just choose the template you like the looks of and type in and/or upload files pictures etc.
I don't know if they are still around but there used to be some free website hosts that are supported by banner ads. you might try one of those to see if you like it then buy one.

I have used a Yahoo Small Business webhost before and they have something called a "Page Builder Wizard" that is a kind of Template.
If you are planning on making a small business website that might be something to consider using. A long time ago I also had a Google website.
It was very easy to use.

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Al, for what you want you might want to take a look at VRBO (Vacation rentals by owner) They do what you want, and it will probably cost less than you could do it yourself.

I've used them to rent, with good luck.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Al,

You may want to look at http://www.vrbo.com/

We use it all the time.

You could probably look at some of the owner listings on there and find a service that other owners are using and then just use that.

If you want to be really geeky you can get free web hosting for basic sites with Google AppEngine but it's not that super simple to set up if you aren't a geek.

If you are looking to just promote your site on your own then just look for a free service and make sure you put all the relevant details on the page with lots of pictures.

You should create a new email address using something like Gmail.com so you don't spam your personal email address. It's also easier to just turn off the email address at a later date.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Guess I need to pay better attention to what my employees do around here .

I was talking with my secretary and telling her I was looking into having a Website built . She asked me what I wanted it to do . Turns out she does websites too :doh: . So I guess I will just have her build it since I already have her on the payroll .

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
it would be dr rum or some hallucination about krusties saving snow trac's or how a krusty can travel faster than his old but can walk.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
it would be dr rum or some hallucination about krusties saving snow trac's or how a krusty can travel faster than his old but can walk.

I wonder if every room that Al rents includes a bathtub, err, uh, I mean a Krusty :yum:

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Laugh if you want to but , I just made a hell of a discovery

More Kristi's are owned by citizens in Elk City than any other city in the world !!!

And its a fact

FACT: We have 3 Kristi's in this town .
FACT: Town is about 100 people .

Which means that 3% of the population owns a Kristi !!!!!!

I knew I was on to something when I bought a Kristi.:clap:

Man ,,,, I gotta go put up a sign or something down by the main road coming into town .This is big news .....this is really big news !!!​

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Laugh if you want to but , I just made a hell of a discovery

More Kristi's are owned by citizens in Elk City than any other city in the world !!!

And its a fact

FACT: We have 3 Kristi's in this town .
FACT: Town is about 100 people .

Which means that 3% of the population owns a Kristi !!!!!!

I knew I was on to something when I bought a Kristi.:clap:

Man ,,,, I gotta go put up a sign or something down by the main road coming into town .This is big news .....this is really big news !!!​
sounds like you need a website to get the word out. :D

Catavenger

SUPER Site Supporter
Guess I need to pay better attention to what my employees do around here .

I was talking with my secretary and telling her I was looking into having a Website built . She asked me what I wanted it to do . Turns out she does websites too :doh: . So I guess I will just have her build it since I already have her on the payroll .

I thought she was going to do it? Shouldn't take that long to get it started.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
I thought she was going to do it? Shouldn't take that long to get it started.

Are you kidding me ? It takes 3 hours just to get out of bed around here . 3 more to wake up and drink coffee . By then its almost closing time ...

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
Are you kidding me ? It takes 3 hours just to get out of bed around here . 3 more to wake up and drink coffee . By then its almost closing time ...
3 hours to get up and 3 hours to drink coffee heck it's almost dr rum time. no wonder the krusty still doesn't have it's tracks I should take vacation come on down there and show you how a retired soldier does it.