• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

HDMI cable?

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
:confused2:

Does the signal going through a digital HDMI cable contain both Audio and Video signal source code? Or is it just Video?

:confused2:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I've gotten some conflicting information on this. DVI and HDMI seem to be the common connectors for HD DVD, upconverting DVD and HDTV. I know DVI is the older technology, and was used for computer monitors before migrating to HD. Now I have 2 people telling me HDMI is video only, 2 saying it is audio/video. I guess I have to ask the pimply face kids at Radio Shack? They seem to know everything!

MadReferee

HDMI v1.3 connectors carry both audio and video. A lot of good information can be found on the HDMI industry web site. HDMI 1.3 is fully backward compatible with all prior releases of the HDMI spec, as well as DVI compliant devices.

HDMI Industry site

jwstewar

I'm going to have to go back and look at the manual for our TV. I swear it says that you still need to connect audio via an alternate means.:confused2:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
jwstewar said:
I'm going to have to go back and look at the manual for our TV. I swear it says that you still need to connect audio via an alternate means.:confused2:
One way or another, I will find out tonight. The new TV for the kids playroom was delivered this afternoon. I already have everything ready to connect it up to the satellite box and the VCR/DVD combo player. I have two spare optical cables at home, just in case I need them for audio. I know the big TV in the living room has an optical audio connection but the DVD player there is older and uses RBG component video cables.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
UPDATE:
The answer is Audio & Video. Even says so on the package (I picked up a Belkin brand at the office supply store on my way home). It made it a snap to connect to the TV, just 2 wires. One HDMI from the VCR/DVD player and one HDMI from the Dish Network box.

Attachments

• 153024771717_3300.jpg
    153024771717_3300.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 61