• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Client-server, desktop needs, etc

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
So, we are considering going to a client server setup instead of all these various versions on each desktop.

Drawbacks?

Does the computing power requirement of the desktop change? Need less RAM, less VRAM, etc?

Currently have a wired CAT5 network, 7 switches/routers. Will network traffic slow things down? Currently about 30 pcs, some XP, some 7/64, some 2003, some 2010, etc.

I welcome your input or links to resources to answer the questions.

jwstewar

I guess we need more information. Client Server can mean a lot of things. What application are we talking about here? Are we talking software running on the PC (fat client) just accessing files/database on a server? Are we talking a server running web service and the clients would just run a browser (thin client)? Yes, network traffic can affect a client server application. Usually LANs aren't too bad nowadays, it is when you get into WANs that you see most issues, but even that isn't terrible in todays world. What are you trying to do? QuickBooks? Stream Videos? This is all the types of questions that need answer before we can provide some type of answer....in other words, it depends :)

jwstewar

Or are you talking even something completely different and have a server running and then using small client boxes running a version of the Citrix client - almost back to the mainframe days?

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Doh, I meant application server.

Meaning, office resides on the server instead of on the pcs throughout the office and pant. In an effort to have everybody on the same software and updates at all times.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Never seen one set up like that. I have seen quite a few where the app server has the install files for Office and each PC uses that to install the current version on their PC. Then it runs local from their PC, rather than using the network and one server to serve up the app to all clients.

You also might want to consider some SAN for data you share amoungst groups in the office. Group A could all get to files in the Group A dir (aka share), Group B could all access files put in the group B dir etc etc.

jwstewar

I'm sure you've seen this, but if not, start here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj219437.aspx

Like Doc, I haven't seen this setup of Office before either. Wonder how much different this is than Office 365 where it runs from "the cloud" (damn, I hate that term). Seems like it is the same concept except you are using your own "cloud" Looks like you would have to have a fairly beefy server to run it with multiple folks, but I like the idea of simple management.

One thing to consider, do you have any other custom written applications that interface with Word or Excel through the COM interface? If so, they probably won't work with this version.

Take a look at this too: http://blogs.technet.com/b/office_r...09/11/introducing-office-web-apps-server.aspx

Another thought, are any of the PCs laptops? Do they get used off the network? If so, how does that work with the application server? Do they have to VPN to use it? What if they don't have internet access? I know rare, but there are still places that don't have it.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
I obviously have to ask more questions of our IT vendor about this.
As for the laptops, yes, VPN in. And I see how that's a problem off-line.
So much to learn.....................