• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

windows 8

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
File your complaints here! Or your compliments. What do you or don't your like about it?

I just picked up a slightly used dell inspiron laptop with windows 8 on it. I was originally looking for a touch screen but settled for this one as it was cheap. Anyways, I'm still undecided on whether I can endure windows 8 or if I prefer 7. First impression.....Windows 8 is microsofts answer to android based tablets and cell phones. I think that once I get used to how to do things with 8 it won't be all that bad. Another first impression is that the speed of 8 leavetyss 7 in the dust. It's FAST!!!

Cons so far....have to relearn the whole system and how to do things. The app store sucks so far but I'm sure that will improve. Heck...ford didn't produce a mustang right out of the box when they first opened up shop back in the early 1900's. Give it some time and I'm sure there will be plenty of apps available.

Now...as for this dell laptop...if I could only figure out how to disable the stupid mouse pad on the keyboard I'd be all set. Definitely not designed for someone with bigger hands. Very sensitive and my hands keep touching it when typing. I use a mouse anyways and never the pad on the keyboard.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
For the mouse pad, you can check the bios and probably disable there. Otherwise, I'd:
a) find out the name of the driver and disable it.
b) plug in an external mouse which should automatically disable the touchpad.

jwstewar

That is what I've been saying all along. Glad to see someone else agrees with me. Is it different, yes, but so was Windows 95 when it came along.:yum:

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
If you located the program for the finger pad just delete it from the startup menu. This will disable it. Plugging in an external does not disable it is win7 as they both work on the wife's Asus.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Well, I figure I wasted about a grand on what is now known nationally to be a complete and total disaster; Windows 8. I have not the time nor desire to completely wipe out the hard drive and install an earlier version of Windows. It's bad enough that you are required to spend hours on previous versions dumping unwanted programs that hog up system resources and hard drive space, but now even after you get rid of all the "commercials" that are pre-loaded on your Windows based computer, you are left with a completely useless OS.

I really didn't care if all publications and computer magazines agreed with me, but it seems to be pretty well unanimous, Windows 8 is a complete flop. I like the article I read in one of the PC magazines who said it is an Apple plant working at Microsoft who got Microsoft to not only put out a useless OS, but spend hundreds of millions in advertising to try to get people to keep trying to use the extremely user-unfriendly OS that hamstrings all other programs on the system. IMHO, it would be like Lexus selling only rebadged Yugos for 2014 and blanketing the airwaves telling people how great their new Lexus (Yugo) is.

So, in summary, there is absolutely NOTHING I like about Windows 8. Well, except that it is making Apple stock go up. :wink:

Oh, I forgot; for your mouse thing, I can't get anyone in my home to use the laptop with Windows 8 on it because nobody has the patience to deal with the defective software that CONSTANTLY makes the screen to to "full screen" anytime you use the touch pad. We just about wore the F11 key out just fighting that one issue let alone the hundreds of other maddening problems plaguing Windows 8. But, alas, their customer support keeps telling us that a "major" update will be released soon. (Um, they've been telling customers that for months)

rlk

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I've had a new Dell with Windows 8 and wish I had gotten Windows 7 instead. To me, it looks like Microsoft just cobbled together some software, and released it without giving it much thought. For example:
- Finding all the hidden icons to re-boot or put the system to sleep was a pain.
- Having MS office icons some where other than on the desktop is another pain.
- Each time I plug my iPhone in to charge it or to sync it, Windows 8, or something wants to download all the photos from my phone to the PC. There are already 2 copies of my photos on the PC - I don't need a 3rd copy. I'm sure there is a way to fix this - I just haven't found it yet.
- My PC thinks it is using dial-up instead of DSL. About twice a day I have to go through several windows to cancel it's attempts to dial the network. Here again, I'm sure there is a fix, I just have not found it yet.
- Windows 8 did away with the gadgets that Vista and Windows 7 had. I found a piece of software that would restore the gadgets. It works well except that the weather app will not update itself, and many days the calendar will not change to the next day. This usually occurs after I have put the PC to sleep for a couple days.
- Many of the games will not run in a small window - they take over all of the screen. In Vista & Windows 7 you could have a game open in a small window on the desktop, along with some other things. Now, games like Solitaire take up the whole screen.
- I have had two different occasions where FireFox would not work as it should have. Both times I had to finish what I was trying to do with Internet Explorer.

On the first occasion, after finishing with IE, FireFox started working as it should. I turned in a trouble ticket with the site where I had the problem. They had no explanation but felt that IE must have found a bad setting and corrected it which allowed FireFox to work again.

On the second occasion, we were trying to download iTunes 11.1. FireFox would not download it. The screen would blink a couple times than nothing would happen. IE downloaded it and installed it with no problem. I can't test FireFox on that now since IE has already downloaded the software.

This morning I told my wife that I'm about ready to purchase Windows 7 while we still can.

Bob

Last edited:

Adillo303

Diesel Truck Fan
GOLD Site Supporter
In December last year, you could get windows 8 for $14.00.

I upgraded all four of my pc's. I am fine with it. I am surprised that folks will go buy an apple or an android, learn a new O/S and sing it's praises. Change their windows and they rebel.

Turn it on, when it boots up click in desktop, load power 8 which is free and you are pretty much on win 7. It is faster, it does not really crash a lot, at the very worst no more than prior versions. Mine hasn't crashed at all.

Sheesh already, if you can't handle change, stay away from computers.

rlk

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
In December last year, you could get windows 8 for $14.00.
In my opinion, that's all Windows 8 is worth. ;)

Sheesh already, if you can't handle change, stay away from computers.
Believe me, I can handle change. I worked in IS for Big Blue for over 30 years. During that time, if I had installed software with as many bugs as Windows 8, I'd have been looking for a new job.

Bob

jwstewar

In my opinion, that's all Windows 8 is worth. ;)

Believe me, I can handle change. I worked in IS for Big Blue for over 30 years. During that time, if I had installed software with as many bugs as Windows 8, I'd have been looking for a new job.

Bob

Now I know you are lying, because I have yet to see any IBM software install and work without having to open a PMR and request a hot fix from them.:whistling: doesn't matter if it is mainframe, server, or PC.:w00t2:

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter

Bob

According to all the online blogs and the guy who purchased the computer store I used to own, no version of any operating system is as thoroughly despised as Windows 8. If you can believe the blogs, heads are rolling at MS and they are in a mad scramble to completely change Windows 8 in their new release and that is why the "update" has been delayed over and over again.

I used to actually enjoy the excitement of a new OS and all the upgrades. Apparently MS wanted to recoup some money from R&D expenses, so they released Windows 8 knowing it basically is a disaster but they'd release 'updates' to fix it as they are able. IMHO, after owning a computer business and being a die hard PC fan (I even wondered why anyone would buy an overpriced Mac), it is really disheartening to see MS release an OS that is so bad it needs to be completely scrapped and MS needs to start all over with a clean slate.

From an end user stand point I, like most other people posting on the internet, see absolutely nothing in Win 8 that I like. It sure has helped Apple sales though. I believe it was Ed Baig (sp?) from USA Today who said that Windows 8 will put MS where Apple was 15 years ago and move Apple to where MS was 15 years ago. That is when there was a very small, but fiercely loyal, group of Mac lovers who kept the company barely above water while the masses insisted on owning a PC.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
So far I'm enduring it. Can't say that I exactly like it as it is. I like the concept. Not too crazy about the execution though. Take everything you thought you knew about windows and throw it out the window. Go in with a complete mental void and maybe you might like it. It's definately not a smooth transition going from from 7 to 8. I liken it to learning how to walk. First you take those baby steps (3.1) then you start to walk (v95-millenium) then you start to run (xp, vista and 7). Just when you think you've got this whole walking thing figured out and its smooth sailing, someone comes along and tells you you're doing it all wrong and you have to get backl down on all fours and relearn how to crawl again.

Adillo303

Diesel Truck Fan
GOLD Site Supporter
Interesting discussion.

So far as IBM - I worked for another mainframe manufacturer and installed and maintained O/S's. They all have bugs.

I am not going to sing the praises of Win 8 or any other O/S for that matter. I bought and loaded Win 8. It works for me.

jpr62902

Jeanclaude Spam Banhammer
SUPER Site Supporter
How many of the Windows 8 haters here are using it on a machine that has a touch screen? That is, after all, the environment for which it was designed.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
How many of the Windows 8 haters here are using it on a machine that has a touch screen? That is, after all, the environment for which it was designed.

I would have loved to have a touch screen. I cheaped out at the last second and wound up with just a regular screen. I'm learning the system. I like some features and the basic concept behind 8. For me, it just took basically shutting my brain off and forgetting everything I knew about windows. For example, there's a cool little ebay app that you can download. I do a lot of ebay shopping. So I figured I'd give it a try. The main screen for the app is simple and basic and works good. But I wound up just staring at it for hours trying to figure out how the heck to search for something on ebay using the app because there isn't the traditional search bar. I ended up figuring out that you have to slide the mouse over the bottom right corner to bring up the main side bar. Then select search(which I originally thought was just a standard google type search option). Make sure that ebay is highlighted in the list of apps then type in your search in there. Like I said...totally different and not where you'd think the standard search bar would be for a program. Just little things like that that will take some getting used to.

rlk

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter

I don't understand the value of the touch screen. Since I already have my right hand on the mouse, what sense does it make to reach across the keyboard to touch the screen to open an application that will require me to use my mouse in order to navigate the application?

Also, from the desktop, which is where I do 90% of my work, don't you still have to use the mouse?

Bob

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
you can do it all without a mouse or do it all with it. do don't need both. you do need a keyboard for some things. I find it more convenient to use on a laptop because of the closeness of the screen.

rlk

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
you can do it all without a mouse or do it all with it. do don't need both. you do need a keyboard for some things. I find it more convenient to use on a laptop because of the closeness of the screen.

Jim, help me understand. When I open MS Word or Excel or write an email, are you saying I can use the touch screen to do everything a mouse does?

If so, I did not realize you could do that. When shopping for the new Dell I have, the salesman told me you would still need a mouse to move around in the MS products.

Bob

Galvatron

Spock and Galvatron < one and the same
windows 8 in simple is for touch screen...if you don't use touch screen don't bother,stick with 7.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Been a couple weeks with windows 8 for me. I'm quickly learning how to use it. So far it isn't all bad. I don't have the touch screen and I'm managing fine without it. In reality, it's windows 7 meets android operating system. You still have the classic windows 7 appearance to go along with the button android looking system.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
It is what it is. I'm getting used to it now. I'm not a huge fan but I'm enduring it. To me, windows 8 is microsofts afterthought answer to android based operating systems. The concept is there. The execution...not so much.

Catavenger

SUPER Site Supporter
hmmm touch screen sounds messy reminds me that I need to wash my windows - on the house that is not the computer! :wink:

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Ok. I got the update notice from Microsoft to upgrade to 8.1 for free so I did it. That was a few days ago. Ever since, my wifi keeps shutting down after about 20 mins. I have to keep reconnecting. It sucks when watching a video then you loose connection halfway through and have to restart the video once the wifi is started again. I did some research and there are a number of different threads on different sites all saying the same thing. I updated the wireless router drivers but that didn't solve the problem. Microsoft at this point is saying there is no problem with it. Watch in a while to see if they don't come out with 8.2 to fix the bugs found in 8.1.

jpr62902

SUPER Site Supporter
Ok. I got the update notice from Microsoft to upgrade to 8.1 for free so I did it. That was a few days ago. Ever since, my wifi keeps shutting down after about 20 mins. I have to keep reconnecting. It sucks when watching a video then you loose connection halfway through and have to restart the video once the wifi is started again. I did some research and there are a number of different threads on different sites all saying the same thing. I updated the wireless router drivers but that didn't solve the problem. Microsoft at this point is saying there is no problem with it. Watch in a while to see if they don't come out with 8.2 to fix the bugs found in 8.1.

I upgraded last weekend -- no problems so far. Actually, my computer boots up a little faster and IE 11 is much faster.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Overall I like the upgrade. It is faster and seems to run smooth with no hickups for any other applications. The only complaint I have with 8.1 is that I keep having to reconnect to my wifi every 20 or so minutes.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Overall I like the upgrade. It is faster and seems to run smooth with no hickups for any other applications. The only complaint I have with 8.1 is that I keep having to reconnect to my wifi every 20 or so minutes.
did you try running all the diagnostics in win 8? I have some problems like that but only during heavy use. Like when school is getting out.
jim

jpr62902

SUPER Site Supporter

I had this issue some months ago, and the problem was actually the updated driver. When I reverted to the prior version, I didn't have any issue with my wifi.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter

Of course Microsoft will blame someone else! Duh! Even before they had the worst OS in existence, when I owned a computer store I learned MS always blames a 3rd party vendor. That must be written on the first page of their employee handbook. I got $300 out of a basically unused high end Lenovo I bought about 6 months ago with the virus known as Windows 8 on it. I figure if I sell everything Microsoft in my home and office I may have enough to buy me a 13" MacBook Pro. :clap:

rlk

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Jim, help me understand. When I open MS Word or Excel or write an email, are you saying I can use the touch screen to do everything a mouse does?

If so, I did not realize you could do that. When shopping for the new Dell I have, the salesman told me you would still need a mouse to move around in the MS products.

Bob

Does anyone know the answer to whether you can move around in the MS products just by using the touch screen?

Bob

tommu56

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
My wife bought an ACER lap top with windows 8

it isnt too bad one short cut i found on the web Xand windows key gets you menu to go to control panel

It took me 2 hrs to clean off the junk that either she down loaded in 3 weeks or came with machine that kept popping up and annoying her.

I went back and added AGV and Spybot search and destroy

I went to make restore point but couldn't fin how to do it any ideas????

Web searches didn't produce the same screen shots I was seeing when doing the key strikes to get to them and couldn't find how to do it.

tom

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
go to apps and put in what your looking for. a search on your win 8 should also bring it up. I put in restore and it came up on my sony.
if your having touch screen problems try not to touch the screen when you turn it on.