• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Yay! Blue screen of death! Ideas?

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
I took a photo of the blue screen I get when I shut my computer down sometimes. It happens totally randomly. And as you can see, it works just fine when it isnt crashed.
Its a Dell Dimension 8400 if that helps, about 18 months old.
I've been living with the error for about 4 months, maybe longer.....
I just hold the power button till it goes off, it works fine next time.....
Any ideas?
Thanks

As you might have guessed, I'm getting along real well with computers recently :yum: Atleast this thread only posted once :D

Attachments

• DSCF0885 (Small).JPG
    DSCF0885 (Small).JPG
    65.2 KB · Views: 89

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
So about four months ago, did you add any new hardware? Install any new programs?

You should check with all your peripheral manufacturers and see if they have new drivers for your computer. If there are default drivers for your peripherals (i.e. Video Card) that come with Windows then you can try installing those instead of what the vendor is providing. Often the drivers from MS are better tested and more reliable but may also perform a little slower.

PB

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Your muffler bearing is about to seize up. You should check your headlight fluid level too.

Oh...and if that error only happens when shutting down, then don't ever shut down. You should keep your PC on all the time so the US government and the RIAA can keep tabs on you.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Not sure what version of Windows your running but if it has a computer management section (in the Admin tools area) you should be able to view the event log. One of the error message might give you a hint to the real problem ....or they can send you chasing your tail.

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
Doc, thats what I did, got 2 major erors, one refers to the fact that windows cannot log off as a program wont stop, so it crashes. The other, well it could be all sorts of things, manily to do with sp2, so I'm probably going to leave it alone.

Ice, it'd be prettier if it didnt mean your computer was dieing :yum:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Maybe just reinstall SP2. All depends on how often you shut down and how much it bugs you. Been there done that. :eek:

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
Thats the thing, it doesnt really bug me atall, just means I have to wait until its gone off before I leave, and just press the power button if it gets the error. No big deal really.
Now I know what it is i'm not too bothered, as long as I dont lose my work. I turn it off every night, but it doesnt always get the error. This computer is so noisy you just cant sleep when its on.

Ice Queen

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Sorry to hear about your computer's illness, hope it is not terminal. (!!) On a more serious side, make sure you have backed up any important files, just in case!!

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Ice Queen said:
hope it is not terminal.
:yum: :yum: :yum:
Pun intended?

I really don't think the terminal is the issue but to avoid getting "the blue screen of death", I would propose you just turn off your monitor immediately after clicking on "shut down". You'll never see that "blue screen of death" again. :thumb: