• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

So I bought a new 7" android tablet

grizzer

What do others do with their tablets?

It's an Asus, appears to be well made, had an unused 8GB micro sdhc card & stuck it in and the machine recognized it so have about 20 GB to fill up.

It is WiFi only so will have to beg smart phone relatives to hot spot tether to their accounts on their dime :clap::clap:

grizzer

I must be the last one to get one of these finger computers. Anyways this thing is wicked.

At 7" it's about the same size as a bookreader. It found & prints to my old pre-email printer. For $89 it does almost everything a desktop machine can do. There is a wi-fi app that generates a IP address to type into your PC webpage & gives direct access thru the router for file up/dn loads

It wont play crackle.com video - Seinfelds "comedians in cars going out for coffee" is a no go.

Once in awhile an app is not compatible or a youtube video won't play but that's minor.

My biggest complaint was there was no how-to manual but I found something here:

http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/best-android-tips-and-tricks.htm#Switch-Open-Apps

http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-android-apps.htm?page=0,0

Google App store is kind of wimpy but the Amazon store is huge.

It should work well for a book reader & travel map machine to replace paper.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I don't have one Grizzer so I can't say. My S-I-L has an I-pad and some other kind and she loves them both. My wife has a Nook tablet and loves it too. Maybe I should get one as it seems that I may be the only one left who hasn't gone electronic. :hammer:

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I don't have one Grizzer so I can't say. My S-I-L has an I-pad and some other kind and she loves them both. My wife has a Nook tablet and loves it too. Maybe I should get one as it seems that I may be the only one left who hasn't gone electronic. :hammer:
You are not the only one who does not do mobile electronics. If I need a computer I would drag the wife's laptop along.

rlk

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
What do others do with their tablets?

It's an Asus, appears to be well made, had an unused 8GB micro sdhc card & stuck it in and the machine recognized it so have about 20 GB to fill up.

It is WiFi only so will have to beg smart phone relatives to hot spot tether to their accounts on their dime :clap::clap:
I like my iPad, but it will not replace a laptop. You can not easily modify or create Word, Excel, PowerPoint, or PDF documents - you can view them, you just can't easily modify them.

Mine is good for reading and generating email; reading newspapers, magazines, books, etc. It is also good for keeping a calendar, contact list, and a set of reminders, that are sync'd between the laptop, desktop, phone, and iPad.

It is also good for surfing the web.

Again, if you need to modify/create lots of Word documents, stick to your laptop.

Bob

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
What RLK just said sums it up pretty good. Same here. Like the auto sync of iPhone, iPad, iPod & MacBook Pro.

I use my iPad to do slide shows for new customers of work I've done...easier than dragging the laptop around. I tether it to my iPhone if necessary.

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have the 10 inch version of the ASUS, along with the keyboard docking station. For its internet use it works well. Android and Flash player don't get along, so not all videos will play. But I find the small size extremely convenient.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
My wife has the Samsung Galaxy Tab 7" wifi only and loves it. $179 last Xmas. What little I have played with it, it seems to be a really nice tablet. Android has really arrived with their 4.2.2. version IMHO. :biggrin:

As for what others do, I believe mostly emails, games and internet for her.

We use Dropbox to share pictures among all devices via wifi. Works great. It's free. That's great too.

rlk

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
What RLK just said sums it up pretty good. Same here. Like the auto sync of iPhone, iPad, iPod & MacBook Pro.

I use my iPad to do slide shows for new customers of work I've done...easier than dragging the laptop around. I tether it to my iPhone if necessary.

Jev, what App or software package do you use for your slideshows? I have looked at several but they all seem to have their problems.

Bob

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter

These tablets make nice e readers as well.