• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

keylime pies

luvs

'lil yinzer~
GOLD Site Supporter
a bartender/fellow patrons beg me fer these all year. i make teensy, individual ones. pre-made crusts. this year, she requested i make scads of 'em.
i know i'll hafta get key limes, supplementary key lime juice- (bottled)-, sweetened condensed milk, & ..... i'm stumped from there. that recipe contained a mere few ingredients. has anyone got a tnt recipe~ thanx!

Mama

4 teaspoons grated lime zest
4 egg yolks
1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup key lime juice

In a mixing bowl, with a wire whisk, whisk together the egg yolks and lime zest until the yolks turn green. Add the sweetened condensed milk and key lime juice. Pour mixture into the graham cracker crust.

Top with meringue or whipped cream.

luvs

'lil yinzer~
GOLD Site Supporter
TY, mama~ that's the kind of recipe i need. appreciated! i'll post pix.

luvs

'lil yinzer~
GOLD Site Supporter
pix wednesday-ish. mailing pies is not very feasible. they would get smushed & this weather is kinda warm.:biggrin:

luvs

'lil yinzer~
GOLD Site Supporter
they're gettin' them tomorrow. i'm making 12 individual ones. i should make the whipped crème now, so that can drain properly. (i make my own.)
bartender gave me an adorable ring earlier. we were sorting jewelry she got in bulk, & detangling a few items. i owe her, now.
i'm so tired. we spent hours pulling knots from gold/silver jewelry chains, via patience.

Last edited:

luvs

'lil yinzer~
GOLD Site Supporter
1 pic i could get. those 'lil pies last fer a few, & then, they're gone.
a piece of jewelry she gave me fer making them. we've sorted/untangled 2 boxes of jewelry now. she let me pick an item fer de-tangling stuff.

Attachments

• pies.jpg
    pies.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_24461165.jpg
    IMG_24461165.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:

luvs

'lil yinzer~
GOLD Site Supporter
4 teaspoons grated lime zest
4 egg yolks
1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup key lime juice

In a mixing bowl, with a wire whisk, whisk together the egg yolks and lime zest until the yolks turn green. Add the sweetened condensed milk and key lime juice. Pour mixture into the graham cracker crust.

Top with meringue or whipped cream.

mama, does that lime kinda chemically cook ur recipe~ similar to ceviche--
i baked the ones i made.

Mama

mama, does that lime kinda chemically cook ur recipe~ similar to ceviche--
i baked the ones i made.
No, I bake mine too. I thought you just needed the ingredients. I bake mine at 325° for about 15 minutes.

Mama

Ain't never seen a Pie that didn't get some heat added.

Ahem.

Pretty much all pies have the crust baked but there are lots of pies that have filling that isn't baked. One of my favorite summertime pies is a Lemon Icebox Pie. The graham cracker crust is baked and cooled and then the filling is added and refrigerated.

Whip together:

2 (8-ounce) packages of cream cheese (brought to room temperature)
1 can sweetened condensed milk
3 lemons

Pour into a graham cracker pie crust. Spread the filling to the edges and refrigerate a couple of hours until set.

lemoniceboxpie-1.jpg

luvs

'lil yinzer~
GOLD Site Supporter
that seems so refreshing, mama~

someone suggested i freeze a key-lime one. i gave them away already, tho, & now have an excuse to make others. & ur pie, too.:whistling:

dan, many pastry shells get blind baked. that means that u generally line an uncooked pan of dough w/ foil, then weight that dough w/ dried legumes or weights made fer the purpose. then, after baking the shell, the filling is poured in & left as is.

Last edited:

Mama

That should read: The juice and zest of 3 lemons. Sorry about that :blush:

Pretty much all pies have the crust baked but there are lots of pies that have filling that isn't baked. One of my favorite summertime pies is a Lemon Icebox Pie. The graham cracker crust is baked and cooled and then the filling is added and refrigerated.

Whip together:

2 (8-ounce) packages of cream cheese (brought to room temperature)
1 can sweetened condensed milk
The juice and zest of 3 lemons

Pour into a graham cracker pie crust. Spread the filling to the edges and refrigerate a couple of hours until set.

lemoniceboxpie-1.jpg

Mama. that's what I'm saying. When it comes to pies, there's going to be some heat applied. Today, it was blackberry cobblers, and the kitchen got hot....

Luvs, yeah, prolly there's no heat pies, but just not around here. Fore sure today.... ;-)

Anybody want to slash a peafowl? The bastards are hooting it up big time on the hill....

luvs

'lil yinzer~
GOLD Site Supporter
i know they exist. i'm a formally-trained Chef. 'nuff said. plain & simple.

Last edited:

luvs

'lil yinzer~
GOLD Site Supporter
btw, dan, i dunno. my 1 former guy hails from fla., & he luved key lime pie. on vacation to florida many years ago, my family & i learned of 'em @ a restaurant we went to. we left the place promptly, due to a waitress & her rude behavior & attitude.

Mama

Mama. that's what I'm saying. When it comes to pies, there's going to be some heat applied. Today, it was blackberry cobblers, and the kitchen got hot....

Luvs, yeah, prolly there's no heat pies, but just not around here. Fore sure today.... ;-)

Anybody want to slash a peafowl? The bastards are hooting it up big time on the hill....

If you make a cookie crumb crust, the actual crust isn't usually baked but if you want to get technical, the cookies are.

You can also make a crust out of corn flakes or pretzels with sugar and butter. Neither of those require baking either.