• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

wow! the $59.99/lb. fungus

luvs

'lil yinzer~
GOLD Site Supporter
i got these fresh morels that cost that much, so I would prefer to cook them properly (only bought a few. i would much prefer to keep my utilities on.)
the store says they're, indeed, that much. if i weren't so curious 'bout food.......
if they're that :w00t2:, i'll buy another teensy batch. they look as tho they could take on flavors well, as they're very porous.
those'll be paired w/ a steak. i'm baffled by the cost.
has anyone gotten them before, either via foraging or purchasing them~ if so, how were they cooked~
thanx-

Attachments

• IMG_23891137.jpg
    IMG_23891137.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 88

luvs

'lil yinzer~
GOLD Site Supporter
btw, i thought I needed new contact lenses. then I though jus' how many u'd hafta pack in to make a pound of them.

$30 - $35/lb for fresh. $60? Gaaah. Cooking, depends on what you're going for and trying to experience. Morels are good if you keep it simple, and they're good if you get fancy. Once they're quartered lengthwise and soaked (a few hours to overnight) in salty (to taste, not to brine) water, then drained, rinsed and patted dry when ready to cook. Simple is as easy as coat in AP flour and saute in butter/olive oil until cooked to your satisfaction. They're pretty tasty that way. Fancy, well, cream sauce with shallot, garlic, butter, chicken or veal stock, heavy cream, goes great with grilled stea^H^H^H, er, ah, fish, or chicken, yeah that's it. In between? They take seasoning pretty well, so you can do the flour/saute thing with a little bacon, if you like that salt/flavor profile. Or the saute can include some white wine and (I'm a big fan of) garlic. Basically, anything you can do with the Porcini, you can do with a Morel, and then compare the two to get a good idea of what the Morel is all about.

Damn, now I want mushrooms for dinner.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
I can buy direct from the pickers around here for $12 a pound . That price is for the #1 Morels picked today .They are everywhere !!

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I have wild morels growing on my ranch. But, I haven't been able to get there for weeks now. My neighbor is surely takng advantage. If not I will be pissed.

Last year he found about 5 lbs of them on my place. He won't tell me where, so we have a deal until I find them. He gets them unless I show up the same weekend. then we split them 50/50.

So far I have lucked out two years in a row.:whistling:

Awesome with garlic, butter, white wine sauce and pasta.:clap:

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm sorry but if you folks are spending $60.00 on friggen mushrooms you need a therapist....

luvs

'lil yinzer~
GOLD Site Supporter
thanx! btw, some places, ingredients run higher in cost. geez. if i choose to spend $3.00 to test a few mushrooms, i'm allowed. ought i rather be spending thousands beyond the $ of a food in travel expenses to get an item itself fer a lesser cost~ i would not travel to Italy to get cheese for less $, when my grocer has the cheese in stock miles away, if not blocks away.

anyhow, these recipes look to be keepers.

Last edited:

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
I'm sorry but if you folks are spending $60.00 on friggen mushrooms you need a therapist....

Precisely why I get those mushrooms that come in a can packed in water. As a bonus I get my daily requirement of sodium at the same time. Sort of a buy one, get one free type of thing. :yum: