• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Can I delete these directories?

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Or all their content?

Under my "Documents and Settings"
The "Temp" directory (or its content)
The "Temporary Internet Files" (or its content)
The "History" (or its content)

My PC's performance has been going down and I want to clean it up by removing any trash. Combined, these directories use about 1.5 gig.

Anything else I can delete or do to help this laptop?

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I always feel safe deleting anything with temp as the name.
I don't think the history would cause you any issues either. Cookies should not be stored in there. I just checked and I do not have any of those direcoties on my XP box.

so go ahead delete em .....if we don't see you online for a spell i guess you can blame me. :eek: :hide:

edit to add:
go to add remove programs and remove any programs you do not use. I can normally reclaim a bunch of space that way.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well, so far I've deleted 45,000 files.

Everything is still running so that's a good sign.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Report back when your done BC.
I'm wondering if everything went okay?

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm still here Doc.

All the files are in my Recycle Bin for now until I'm sure I don't need them.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Good idea.
You won't reclaim the files space until they are gone, but at least you have a fall back plan if needbe.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Doc said:
Good idea.
You won't reclaim the files space until they are gone, but at least you have a fall back plan if needbe.
Yep. When the PC started acting up, I went out and bought a 130 gig external drive.
Did a full backup and then made a copy of "My Documents" on that drive.
I'm just going to keep everything in sync on there, just in case...

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
What kind did you get? How much is 130 gigs of external drive space ....if you don't mind my asking?

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
Doc said:
ow much is 130 gigs of external drive space
Here are a few externals. Fry's is great if you know what you need and don't have to ask the clerks.

http://shop1.outpost.com/search?cat=-48984&pType=pDisplay

(I just noticed their banner 'grand opening sale'. It looks like Fry's finally got control of the Fry's.com name so they don't have to call their online store 'outpost.com' any longer. Fry's and outpost.com aren't a new business.)

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Doc,

The drive is made by "SimpleTech". I bought it at Best Buy for $89. It was the most bang-for-the-buck they offered. You plug in the USB to your PC, plug in the power and within 5 seconds it was recognized and ready to go. There's a CD that came with it (which I haven't loaded yet) that does 1-click backups.

CA,

I'm going to check out that Crap Cleaner. Thanks.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
A couple edits:

It's a 160gig (not 130 as I previously mentioned).

I purchased it at Office Max, not Best Buy.

The receipt shows $119.99 - $30 promo discount = $89.99

I don't see it on their site though...

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
CA & BC those externals have sure come down in price since I last priced them. Makes them a very reasonable way to backup your data. Much better than burning multiple CD's .... :(

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I just bought a external WD 250gig at Sam's for $117 and BTW....... I delete those files all the time BC!

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
If you are running XP then you can just run the following tool:

Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> Disk Cleanup

It will scan your computer and present you with lots of options for files that can be deleted.

You should then run

Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> Disk Defragmenter

It will help to clean up fragmented files.

There are better tools for these functions but these are included with the OS, supported by MS, and work pretty good.

PB

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
BTW - Temp directories can be deleted but some apps do use them so you should only be deleting the contents of Temp directories and not the directories themselves.

Most of what you listed in your original post will be handled by the Disk Cleanup tool. It takes a while to run so be patient.

Also, you will get better results with both of the aforementioned apps if you quit as many apps and services as possible prior to running them.

PB

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
PBinWA said:
If you are running XP then you can just run the following tool:

Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> Disk Cleanup

It will scan your computer and present you with lots of options for files that can be deleted.

You should then run

Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> Disk Defragmenter

It will help to clean up fragmented files.

There are better tools for these functions but these are included with the OS, supported by MS, and work pretty good.

PB
Always showing off..............:yankchain:

Gotta appreciate a fellow willing to type out the Windows "Help" library from memory....:yum:

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Big Dog said:
Always showing off..............:yankchain:

Gotta appreciate a fellow willing to type out the Windows "Help" library from memory....:yum:

What can I say, too many years doing tech support. Old habits die hard.:eek:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Bump

Since we're talking about external drives here, thought I'd mention I picked up another.
Seagate 160G - $89. OfficeMax

Now I need to find my USB hub...

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Bump again...

Office Max has the Seagate 160G external hard drive for $79.

I picked up 2 more. :thumb:

On the SimpleTech I purchased, the drive is fine but the software stinks. I removed it.