• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

UGH!!!!! Computer is history !!

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
My computer is just about history . I have been told to buy an HP . Any input ? I do not need some whoop ass computer anymore . This one would be for my private use . It will need to know when I have had a couple Dr.Rums so it can help me keep my great stories straight .:unsure::w00t2:

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I've had my toshiba for 4 yrs now. It's been good to me so far. Had a Dell in the past. What a POS that thing was. Work computer is a lenovo. It's been alright. My tablet is asus. No problems so far with it.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Won't ever get me to say bad things about a HP laptop .............. :biggrin:

The one that flew off the roof of the car after the first night of the FF boat party is still clicking along!

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Buy anything with Windows 8 and you are SCREWED! Love the deal I got on a Lenovo (old IBM) but is unusable due to Windows 8. Gave it to each of my kids and each one gave it back. Windows 8 is an afterbirth that is on life support. Worst OS I've ever encountered since having every single version of Windows 3.11.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I got a new one a couple of months ago. Like you, I have no need for a rocket any more. Got a HP Pavillion all-in-one. It got a 23" screen, no tower or any of that shit, wireless keyboard and mouse, everything built in. You can get them with touch screen but I'm too old fashioned for that, I like the mouse. It's been great.

Unfortunately, it's got Windows 8. I'm not sure that I like it. I'm getting used to it but that a lot different from actually liking it. We'll wait and see but I've already had some problems with the software, mainly browsers, nothing serious but a pest none the less.

Bamby

I know I'll never again buy an off the shelf computer again. Inadvertently we've purchased a few over the years and they've always came pre-packaged with excess garbage. We've also purchased several between both work and home from tigerdirect and in every case they have run flawlessly without any included excess. We usually purchase or select from the refurbished models. I just checked and they still offer a pretty good selection of choices available with windows 7.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I got a new one a couple of months ago. Like you, I have no need for a rocket any more. Got a HP Pavillion all-in-one. It got a 23" screen, no tower or any of that shit, wireless keyboard and mouse, everything built in. You can get them with touch screen but I'm too old fashioned for that, I like the mouse. It's been great.
I have something similar. A HP TouchSmart 520. It's an all-in-one so there's no clutter and it does have the touch screen (which I rarely use). It's worked well.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Won't ever get me to say bad things about a HP laptop .............. :biggrin:

The one that flew off the roof of the car after the first night of the FF boat party is still clicking along!
Damn! That is impressive. :clap: :clap:

That was Oct of 2008. And it's still going. :eek: :thumb: It's about time for another boat party. Only a few of those who made the scene are still with us on FF.

Al, I do like Bamby and buy new or refurbished from Tiger Direct, or woot or daily steals. I've had great luck that way to date. Looks like Tiger Direct has an Asus for $379 15.6 screen and a Samsung small 11" screen for 279. :eek: :thumb: You can plug any laptop in to a big flat screen monitor (or two) and use a regular keyboard with them if you prefer that. I do that for my day job and it works out GREAT.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...CatId=17&cm_sp=Masthead-_-Computers-_-Spot 02

When you first fire up Windows 8 you have options to NOT use their cloud backup and to have the look and feel more like Win 7. I set one up for a buddy and he likes it so far. I'm sure you can change the settings on Win 8 if you don't like them.

jpr62902

Jeanclaude Spam Banhammer
SUPER Site Supporter
Damn! That is impressive. :clap: :clap:

That was Oct of 2008. And it's still going. :eek: :thumb: It's about time for another boat party. Only a few of those who made the scene are still with us on FF.

Al, I do like Bamby and buy new or refurbished from Tiger Direct, or woot or daily steals. I've had great luck that way to date. Looks like Tiger Direct has an Asus for $379 15.6 screen and a Samsung small 11" screen for 279. :eek: :thumb: You can plug any laptop in to a big flat screen monitor (or two) and use a regular keyboard with them if you prefer that. I do that for my day job and it works out GREAT.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...CatId=17&cm_sp=Masthead-_-Computers-_-Spot 02

When you first fire up Windows 8 you have options to NOT use their cloud backup and to have the look and feel more like Win 7. I set one up for a buddy and he likes it so far. I'm sure you can change the settings on Win 8 if you don't like them.

To go to a more traditional desktop, all you have to do is click on "desktop" in the Metro UI. I'm liking W8 more and more. It's very stable, and once you get the hang of it, becomes more and more intuitive.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Can I do everything with a Mac? My wife says to get that ? One question ..... whats a mac?

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
If it's a Big Mac, it'll have all the major ingredients but may not do everything you want. Millions are sold and consumed yearly. They don't last long.

If it's a big Mack, it has plenty of power and can do more but requires experience to operate it properly. They take some time to get up to speed so be patient. If you need to back out for some reason, that requires even more skill.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Buy a gamers pc. Forget the brand name stuff. If you are skeptical of the ebay path, even from vendors with 100% rating and over 500 sales, then build one yourself or have the local computer store build one for you. A few buck more than a standard pc, but you'll generally get awesome graphics, twice the ram, and a bunch more speed.

And besides, the cases look cool.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Can I do everything with a Mac? My wife says to get that ? One question ..... whats a mac?

My first self employed job was building PC's in my basement; literally. Back then, I don't think Apple had 1% of the market. No software, waaaay overpriced and IMHO stupid looking see through purple and pink machines.

Fast forward 15 years or so and Melensdad tells me how great Macs are. I grumble and stick with my trusty PC's networked in my house for my kids and my office etc. I then discovered that it's not 'normal' to have to have to reboot your machine every day or so to keep it from moving like sludge in subzero temps. So, I bought a MacBook Pro. I HATED it! I couldn't figure out how to do anything with it. :mad:

A month or so later Apple came out with the first of what I consider their 'new generation' operating systems for it. Suddenly, it was easy to use and my oldest insisted on taking it when he went to college. A whole year passed and I never heard a peep out of him about it. "Everyone" in college uses them I was told. Then oldest daughter graduates from HS as class valedictorian and goes to college on an aggressive pre-med program. Among her list of things from the college that she needed included "a MacBook or MacBook Pro". Hmm, interesting. Yeah, she gets the MacBook Pro and then tells me that she gets pretty well all the software she needs free from the college that she needs.

Okay, enough! I bought an all-in-one unit to rid myself of the "tower" under my desk and try the Mac for my office. I used their 'migrating' tool, bought QuickBooks for Mac and used one of the dozens of 'freeware' suites that duplicates Microsoft Office for a Mac (even uses all files I created over the years in Excel, Word, Outlook etc.) and had zero learning curve. I plugged it in, followed the instructions on moving things over, and have been operating without any issue ever since. I've yet to have a single problem two years later and I guess you can call me a convert. All subsequent purchases have been iPads and other Mac laptops or all-in-one units. I can't recall the last time I shut my computer off or had to reboot it. YMMV Just my experience.

Of course, my youngest son wanted a laptop so I bought that Lenovo (based on price) that came with Windows 8 and we ALL hate the thing. As I said, I've yet to see ANY operating system I've despised as much. I would strongly prefer going back to DOS than using Windows 8. Again, JMHO.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
I think i'll give up wanting anything and just go back to writing letters . I do not know crap about computers but I do know that mine is running slower every day . I kicked it with my boot as some have suggested . No help . Maybe I should get new boots .
I just want the damn thing to work . :sad:

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
If all you are doing is basic stuff then I would go with a Mac. If you are near an Apple Store in the future just take your PC in and they will probably transfer everything over for you and walk you through the whole thing.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Al, all you need is a green wood fire and a blanket. Send smoke signals my brother, send smoke signals.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Poobah - if it's just running slow, it could be due to crap in the computer. I'm sure you haven't defecated in there but stuff from the internet may have. Have you run CCleaner, MalWareBytes and defragger? Those 3 will clean things up quite a bit.