• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

hp laptop worth fixing?

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
My fiancee hauled out her old hp laptop last night for me to take a look at. First off, she informs me that the charge cord is messed as a brass pin broke off and is lodged inside the charge port on the laptop. So she hauls out the cord and shows me. Says it still works to charge. She plugs it in and it starts charging as it's supposed to. We let it charge for a bit before powering the laptop. It's been sitting for a year. I go to power up and screen lights up for a second then goes black. Can't get it to work no matter what we try. Next. Power cord starts shooting sparks.

I figure something must have surged and fried the video card. Is this thing even worth fixing? Needs a new graphic card, charger, and new output for the charger on the laptop.

grizzer

Plug in a VGA monitor to check the video. Might be the ccd bulb behind the led screen. Video chip is likely not user replaceable.

Parts chargers batteries are available online ebay etc.

Best thing to do is $299 at a big box and buy new machine.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I already thought of trying another monitor. Unfortunately the one I was gonna try had a different connection. I might bring it to work and try my monitor there.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Like griz said, either of those issues are not easily fixed at home. If it works with an external monitor and you don't mind using it that way, that'll work. Otherwise I would not put money into it.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Like griz said, either of those issues are not easily fixed at home. If it works with an external monitor and you don't mind using it that way, that'll work. Otherwise I would not put money into it.

That's basically what happened to my wife's laptop about a year ago. We got the charger to work again but the screen remained blank. I let the computer guy in town mess with it for about a week to no avail. Just at that time my desktop tower in the "office" gave out so I brought it home and connected it to an old monitor and that's what I've been using for the last year. We got her a new tough screen all-in-one. Just this week I gave up on this conglomeration of old cobbled together junk that I've been using and went and got a new all-in-one too.

So, my advice is to junk it and get her a replacement.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I think we will just junk it. She already has a new laptop. Was just thinking I might be able to do something with this one for the kids. Or to leave it at camp sowe don't have to haul one back and forth every time we go.

grizzer

I think we will just junk it. She already has a new laptop. Was just thinking I might be able to do something with this one for the kids. Or to leave it at camp sowe don't have to haul one back and forth every time we go.

Take the back off & grab the HDD & use it as a backup external usb drive.