• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Microsoft Works 9

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I keep getting an update request for Microsoft Works 9.. yet it won't go through on my computer.

Is it because I am on Vista and it's not supported?
.. and if so, how important is this update? :confused:

rlk

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Get away from Vista PG, if for no other reason just to save your sanity. Find a copy of XP or move up to Windows 7. But dump that Vista turkey.

Interesting that you say that Squerly. I'm running Vista on 2 laptops and it is very stable.

Bob.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have my primary laptop running Win7, and a mini laptop (11"), that I primarily use when I travel, running vista. I prefer Win7, but I prefer Vista to XP for sure. Each are stepping stones.

Unless you need something out of Works that it cannot do, I would not fret about the upgrade. If you are having trouble with works you might try OpenOffice (openoffice.org). They offer free downloads of software that works much like MS Office, and they work great. Personally, I prefer Open Office to Works. But whatever gets the job done for you is what counts.

A side note: Works documents do not convert easily to other formats such as doc or docx (MS Office) or Open Office extensions. You might recall a member of NCT had all their recipes in Works and could not find an automated way to convert thousands of recipes to a more standard format such as Word or Open Office.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I don't really need Works for anything, Doc- so I guess it's no biggie.
It just kept coming up with the other updates as 'important'..

Vista is just fine for me right now.
One day I'll move on to Win7.

.. oh and thanks. :)

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Speaking of unneeded updates, I was always getting reminded that JAVA had a new update. For awhile I would allow it to upgrade. It seemed every time I'd reboot I would need to update JAVA. Then I read about a JAVA virus or bug (I forget which), but just to be safe I did as the article recommended, I turned off, aka disabled JAVA. I did not notice any repercussions in my browsing, meaning I was not using JAVA (or JAVA was not required) for any of the sites I was going to. So I've left it disabled. Guess what? I still get the JAVA update notices every reboot but I always say NO knowing that I sure do not need to update product I am not using. :D Works for me.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Speaking of that, I haven't had a java update request in a long time.
hmmm.. in fact, I don't even see it in my programs list.
Which, by the way.. probably needs cleaned out.
Don't know what half of this stuff is..:dizzy:

programs.jpg

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Looking at that list you don't have Java installed anymore. The latest update for Java6 is #37. Oracle and Microsoft worked together to close a vulnerability in Java.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I think it is used more for gaming anymore. If your machine is functioning fine for you then you probably don't need it.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Nope, I don't play any games.. so I don't need it. :D
Computer is running better now than it had been .. well since the problem a while back.:doh: