• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Powerline adapter networking really that good?

My son has it in his apt...when Comcast first installed, they used the 85mbps version - I'm not sure what his speeds were but it wasn't all that great. We ended up getting [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004D9V8C8/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00"]Amazon.com: TRENDnet 500 Mbps Powerline Ethernet AV Adapter Kit TPL-401E2K (White): Electronics[/ame] and he's getting sufficient speed for serious gaming...the modem and computer are at opposite ends of the apt, so 30 feet or so? I know there is a drop vs. hardwire, but i believe its faster and more "stable" than wifi.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
I like the wifi setup. I set up the phone with FTP and can connect to it just like a drive from my pc.

And anyone visiting, I can give them a temporary passcode to access my wifi when visiting, so they don;t have to use their phone data.

And I can be outside. Or on the boat in the slip. I don't have to be plugged in.

Why would anybody want to be connected to anything anymore.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Another plus for Wifi is you can add an extender to the network if you have corners of your house where your main wifi will not reach.

But every time the power blips I have to go reset the cable modem and my Wifi network. Lately I've been getting more blips than normal and I've had to reset two times some weeks. I read about powerline networking years ago and had not heard of it since. Good to know that technology is now finally available. Seems like it should be at least as good as cable modem speeds by comparison. There is some things that are a no brainer for Wifi like phones, e-readers and iPads but other times a wired network can fit the bill. If a computer is staying put in one place why not have it wired for faster network speeds and better dependability. I use both at my house.

rlk

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
But every time the power blips I have to go reset the cable modem and my Wifi network. Lately I've been getting more blips than normal and I've had to reset two times some weeks.

We had this problem too, but a cheap UPS unit solved the problem.

Bob

bbobbit42

Thanks everyone for your input!!

In the end I got the Actiontec powerline adapters. The house is only 5 years old, so the circuits are clean and the powerline worked great. So far so good, fast and stable.