• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Beef barley stew

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Step one....

• 5 1/2 lbs boneless beef chuck (Bone in is good too! Spareribs are great, but expensive)
  • 3 quarts cold water
  • Bay leaves
  • Kosher salt
  • Pepper corns
  • Allspice corns

Simmer for 2-3 hours until meat is tender. Skim the schmutz off the top of the water occasionally.

Attachments

• IMG_20120826_093256.jpg
    IMG_20120826_093256.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 141

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Step 2...

• (4) 28oz can whole plum tomatoes

Half way through the cooking of the beef, add four cans of tomatoes including the juice. Crank the heat to bring it back to a boil and then lower to a simmer.

edit: This would be an ideal use of fresh tomatoes!

Attachments

• IMG_20120826_111524.jpg
    IMG_20120826_111524.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 132

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Nice sounding recipe, Dave. Just may try that when the weather starts turning chilly up here, which isn't long. :brows:

Thanx for that!

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Step 3...
  • Whole kernel corn
  • Cut green beens
  • Sliced carrots
  • Oregano
  • Thyme

After the beef is starting to get tender, add your veggies and seasonings. Notice there aren't any measurements? Add as much as you like, I don't measure these. Again, this is an ideal use of fresh garden veggies.

Bring to a boil and then reduce to simmer again.

Note: if you use canned veggies, drain them first, but keep the water in case you need to thin out the stew later.

Attachments

• IMG_20120826_130318.jpg
    IMG_20120826_130318.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 135

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Oh and I forgot an onion in step 3....just diced as small or large as you like.

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
i like the real time play by play.

Makes me feel hungry and lazy at the same time.
slow rain today...
Soup making is a great idea.

Back to being lazy

Mike

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Looks Great,

isn't Beef Barley supposed to have those Puffed wheat looking Barley in it?

I am a chicken Booyah master and I was hoping to learn something about Barley today.

Mike.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Looks Great,

I am a chicken Booyah master and I was hoping to learn something about Barley today.

Mike.

There's almost 2 cups of barley in there....they are the little white pearls in the picture, almost the same as the corn.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Looks Great,

Mike.

Damn....

Step 3 (redux)

Add 1-2 cups of whole barley (as much as you desire). The more you add, thicker it will become and will determine if it is soup or stew.

This batch came out closer to soup than stew.

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Ok your off the hook and the barley, Good save but now you are taunting.... you see the only time I can get some Yuengling is early june when I make a transit to PA for a rally race and Visit the *party store* and bring some back home to WI, the soup looks near perfect and the Bread and barley water round it out nicely.

Mike

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
They make Yuengling year round.:whistling: If you guys quit drinking Labatts they would import Yuengling up there.:yum::yum:

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Ok your off the hook and the barley, Good save but now you are taunting.... you see the only time I can get some Yuengling is early june when I make a transit to PA for a rally race and Visit the *party store* and bring some back home to WI, the soup looks near perfect and the Bread and barley water round it out nicely.

Mike

I can't get Yuengling around here either (just south of the cheddar curtain). I was in West Virginia two weeks ago and I brought back two cases.

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
North of the Cheddar curtain we can get any beer brewed on the planet.... except Yuengling. You have good taste.

Muleman, I have gone out of my way to travel thru Canada to get LAbatts with the higher canadian alcohol content, the Great lakes make a interesting maze when I head east. typically it is a ferry ride, Drive into CA, Buy canadian labatts. hit elmira NY. travel south a bit and wa-la Yuengling land. I typically save the Yuengling and Iron city and good labatts for Good meals such as Booyah, Venison, Fresh water lake sturgeon and soon Beef barley with 5.5lbs of Beef. can't wait.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
They make Yuengling year round.:whistling: If you guys quit drinking Labatts they would import Yuengling up there.:yum::yum:

Yuengling arrived here less than a year ago.
Since then.. it's one of the hottest selling brews around.
I don't care for beer, but I've tried it...it's okay.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Here is the full recipe. Notice, it's not exactly the same as this thread (and I made a double batch). It is a VERY forgiving recipe and you can modify it a lot.

I bet it would be good with venison too.

Beef Barley Soup/Stew

3 pounds Beef Short Ribs (I sometimes use a combo of short ribs and stew meat, if the ribs are too pricey)
2 28 oz cans tomatoes, undrained
1 tablespoon salt
2 whole Bay leaves
1 10 oz pkg frozen cut green beans (can substitute canned)
1 10 oz can corn, whole kernel (or substitute frozen)
1 4 oz can sliced carrots
1 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup Barley ( to make it thicker, I usually use about a cup)
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1 clove garlic, crushed (or whatever type of garlic you have around)

1. Place short ribs, tomatoes,salt and bay leaves in large kettle; add 1 quart water. Cover and bring to a boil. Skim surface (discard the foam you skim off)

2. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for two hours - until meat is tender

3. Add barley, veggies and seasonings (and add more to your taste - can also add tomatoe sauce if you want a more tomato flavored base). Simmer, covered, one hour or longer,, until tender

4. Remove meat and bones; discard bones

5. Cool meat; cut into slices or shred; add to soup.

6. Can serve immediately, or refrigerate and remove any grease that collects at the top. If refrigerating, re-heat to boiling over low heat and boil for two minutes, until veggies and meat are heated through

It's a very adjustable recipe...add more spices, different veggies, what ever appeals to you. Freezes well, and I ususally serve it with a good bread.