• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Looking to buy ...

nixon

Boned
GOLD Site Supporter
We need to replace our old PC . Is there any advantage / disadvantage to the All in one machines ? Thanks in advance for any information that You can provide .

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
We need to replace our old PC . Is there any advantage / disadvantage to the All in one machines ? Thanks in advance for any information that You can provide .

I like the all in one machine. Of course it's not a PC, but the form factor is the same and it is nice. Now, if you are one who likes to tinker and add different hardware like video cards, tuner cards or the like then I would suggest a regular tower setup.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
We got a new all-in-one for my wife a couple of months ago. She absolutely loves it. The footprint is so much less than the conventional set-up and it gives her more room to stack papers around it. :biggrin: Hers came with wireless mouse and keyboard and 4 USB ports on the side so you can plug in anything that you want to ... and it's FAST. I can't remember but I think that it has the Intel Core I5 chip in it. It's really a lot more computer than we need or can productively use these days but it is NICE. I'm not sure that the touchscreen feature is worthwhile as we older folks are so used to pointing and clicking but if you're a younger tablet user it may be your preferred way of interfacing.

We like it so much that we're planning on getting another sometime in the fall to replace the heap of junk that I'm using at the moment over here in the "office".

nixon

Boned
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks for the input guys . Still up in the air as to go with a PC ,or MAC . Personally ,i'd like to go MAC for no other reason than "just because I can " . However , Jan is of a slightly differing opinion .:yum:

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Thanks for the input guys . Still up in the air as to go with a PC ,or MAC . Personally ,i'd like to go MAC for no other reason than "just because I can " . However , Jan is of a slightly differing opinion .:yum:

Mac, Mac, Mac, Mac, Mac, Mac& Mac!!! Did I mention you should go with a Mac, Nix?

I just had a bunch of upgrades come through yesterday for various things, including OSX. No problems with the upgrades. Everything works as intended. Been that way for the two years I have had this.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Well get it now before windows 8 comes out. Who will tutor who on a Mac?:whistling:

nixon

Boned
GOLD Site Supporter
Mac, Mac, Mac, Mac, Mac, Mac& Mac!!! Did I mention you should go with a Mac, Nix?

I just had a bunch of upgrades come through yesterday for various things, including OSX. No problems with the upgrades. Everything works as intended. Been that way for the two years I have had this.

Now to convince the Dragon !:yum: Sunday's our 35th , I'm going to take her to dinner , wine and dine Her ,then show her Your post . Hopefully all the stars and planets will be aligned ,and she'll agree with me just this one time .:yum:

rlk

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
We have switched from desktops to laptops and one iPad. The newer laptops do everything the desktops do, plus they are portable. With the reliability of routers now, we can sit in any room and surf the internet or read ForumsForums.

This may not be for everyone, but it works for us.

Bob

nixon

Boned
GOLD Site Supporter
We have switched from desktops to laptops and one iPad. The newer laptops do everything the desktops do, plus they are portable. With the reliability of routers now, we can sit in any room and surf the internet or read ForumsForums.

This may not be for everyone, but it works for us.

Bob

Bob ,
That's an interesting idea . We already have an ipad 2 that We both like .

nixon

Boned
GOLD Site Supporter

Here's a question that Jan has ...... Will all the data from our PC be easily transferable to a Mac ?

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Programs will not transfer but files should.
Window office files would need some program that would work with them (unless that is now available for apple). If that were the case you would have to buy the software for apple. Open Office might have a mac version and it is a free download.

Tonight they had a blip on a show that was on saying that folks searching the internet for a hotel with a mac are shown different hotels than someone searching with a PC. Mac household income is higher than that of a PC household and the travelocity companies and others know this and direct you accordingly. Not saying it is good or bad, it's just how it is.

I have not seen the all in one PC. I remember them from stereo's and they left a bad taste in my mouth. Like rlk I like laptops. You can hook them up to an external keyboard and big monitor or you can go portable. I like that flexibility.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Here's a question that Jan has ...... Will all the data from our PC be easily transferable to a Mac ?

Well, it all depends what you want to do. For me the answer was basically yes.

All my MP3, jpeg and video files worked no problem. I did not anticipate any problems and there were none.

Excel and Word files were easy too. I did not want to purchase a copy of MS Office for OSX so I downloaded the free OpenOffice.org. All .doc and .xls files can be read in OpenOffice so it is really great.

If your lady has some specialized software that runs on Windows only, that will be an issue. We did not have any except some of my RTS games that were PC only. That was a little bit of a bummer but I knew that going in.

If one can run a PC they can run a MAC. Things are different for sure, but when I got stumped on some stupid little thing I would google it and the answer was right there. A good example of that was the fact the the right click on the mouse for cut/paste etc was turned off. I googled why macs do not do this and found out they did indeed do and what I had to do to turn it on. Google helped us out a lot on figuring out some of the things that are different between the two programs.

What I like best about a Mac is the fact that if a program locks up it does not effect the rest of the computer. Just click on the apple icon and select force close. Pick the offending program and click on it. Maybe newer windows versions do that I don't know. I have never owned anything newer than XP SP3. My iMac has never crashed in the two years I have owned it. Never froze up and never needed a reboot to get it running right again.

Hope this helps.

nixon

Boned
GOLD Site Supporter
:wow: The Dragon diferred... after 35 years I caved in to his incessant whining!
god it was horrendous, first it was an IPad, and now an IMac. GOD KNOWS I PUT UP WITH His chainsaws!!
i BETTER get my Tempurpidic bed out of this, or there is going to be one hell of a thread in seriously speaking. Luv u all.
lil Nixon.
:flowers::w00t2::hammer:

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
What is with the women and the temperpedic beds?? Mine has been bugging for a few years. Almost bought one of those air ones with the separate controls. What we have is fine if she would throw the damn waffle pad away that she had to have.:hammer::hammer: Of course she also had to have a new laptop.:hammer::hammer:

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
:wow: The Dragon diferred... after 35 years I caved in to his incessant whining!
god it was horrendous, first it was an IPad, and now an IMac. GOD KNOWS I PUT UP WITH His chainsaws!!
i BETTER get my Tempurpidic bed out of this, or there is going to be one hell of a thread in seriously speaking. Luv u all.
lil Nixon.
:flowers::w00t2::hammer:

You won't be sorry with the iMac. You will love it. As for the Tempurpedic bed, I am going to stay away from that discussion. :biggrin:

Galvatron

Spock and Galvatron < one and the same
Nixon....have a look at what you really use the PC for,do you need super fast for gaming and running programs that soak up the juice or do you just like many browse and store photos and the odd files???

My PC is the central Hub of the household so when i upgraded i needed to take this into account,it gets used for gaming and all sorts so needed to be of a reasonable speed,now to buy off the shelf would be mega bucks so ordered everything online and put it together myself,2 years on and she purrs like a kitten and as plenty in back up speed as the demands are needed,not everyone can put together a PC and install all the required software but if you think you can then try it mate as it will save you a bucket load of money.

So what i am saying is think hard on your PC needs and then budget to them needs and build your own if you can as you will for sure get more than your monies worth this way.

nixon

Boned
GOLD Site Supporter
Well, the I Mac just arrived . All I've done is remove it from the box . Jan's gonna have to set it up . First impression ...... Honking huge screen !

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Oh my! Can you handle the learning curve at your age?:whistling: Get used to looking up resources for a while till you get used to it.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Pot,meet kettle .:whistling:
Oh hell yes! I have a hard enough time with Win7 on the wife's laptop. I am too old to learn a new o/s.:yum::yum: The frustration is knowing what you want to do but can't find it.

nixon

Boned
GOLD Site Supporter
muleman; said:
The frustration is knowing what you want to do but can't find it.

Nothing more frustrating ! Put a string ,or brightly colored ribbon on it . Works real good when it's cold outside.

lilnixon

AKA LILVIXEN
GOLD Site Supporter
:wow:Oh My. This is going to take some getting used to.
Might have to buy a bigger desk to get the screen further away so i can see it:yum::flowers:

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
:wow:Oh My. This is going to take some getting used to.
Might have to buy a bigger desk to get the screen further away so i can see it:yum::flowers:

Welcome to mac world! You are going to love it. Did you hear yesterday about all those computers that will get shut down due to some virus from Eastern Europe? Ignore it!! Does not affect Macs!! Enjoy! You will never look back. :biggrin: