• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Video Chat: SKYPE ~vs~ FACE TIME

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
With my sister living in London and my daughter on her way to college for a summer session we have been playing around with various video conferencing/video chat software.

Apple computers/iPhones/iPads come with a program called FACE TIME. While an excellent program, FACE TIME is an Apple to Apple exclusive program, it works across all the Apple devices.

There is also a free service called SKYPE that works across platforms, so its great for Windows to Apple, Windows to Windows or Apple to Apple. If you are a windows user, or if you have a Windows user to which you wish to communicate, then SKYPE is your default choice.

My observations are that FACE TIME is dramatically superior for Video Chat, the resolution is good, the bandwidth use is lower, the latency is virtually non-existent on transatlantic video calls, the frame freeze frequency is much lower than on SKYPE, plain and simple it works very well for a free service. We held a 45 minute video conference today on FACE TIME without ever dropping the connection, we did have 2 or 3 screen freezes that lasted a few moments to maybe 30 seconds before the system resumed functioning properly.

Only minutes before the FACE TIME call we held a similar video conference between the same two computers, but we used SKYPE.

SKYPE is a great service for free 'telephone' calls internatonally or to replace long distance domestic calls. You can call from computer to computer free, or phone to computer/computer to phone for very low rates. The video feature of SKYPE has been around for a few years, its good. BUT it is good if you have 2 high speed rock solid connections. If one of the connections is a bit slower than the other, if one is a bit less reliable, then using SKYPE for video is somewhat problematic. Screen freezes are very common, but unlike FACE TIME, each time the screen froze for us it also terminated the call. Video is also pretty sketchy with some serious latency issues. Its like watching a movie where the audio is not synced to the movement of the actors lips. You see the lips moving, wait a second or two, or even three, then you hear the words.

Anyone else using either of these services?

What are your observations?

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I have used the msn, facebook video chat, and skype. I pay the fees to be able to call computer to phone etc with skype. For the mostpart, it's great. I ordered a $3 handset off ebay that plugs into my laptop and use my computer as my phone to make long distance calls. Free long distance unlimited anywhere in canada and the usa for a touch over $8 for 3 months. I'll take it! Has a built in answering machine as well and call display.

Can't say much about facetime since I don't have anything apple yet. The cell and tablet are android and windows based laptop.

As for the videochat, I find msn has a better picture but poor sound quality. Opposite for skype. facebook has a decent overall videochat. Haven't used it much though

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
FaceTime is better but it's Apple only. That is the only downside.
We are an Apple family and love FaceTime. We have used Skype with similar results as noted, and found FaceTime to be the winner in the free category. We have friends with a daughter in Chile and son in Switzerland. Both have children and our friends connect with them weekly using Skype. The cannot afford a Mac, and have DSL, so they just endure the weaknesses of Skype to communicate face-to-face with the kids and grandkids.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Skype seem to be pretty rock solid when used for AUDIO TRANSMISSION only. But bandwidth requirements for video chat seem to be where Skype falls short compared to FaceTime.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Skype has better encryption which takes away from it's bandwidth. I suspect Skype is more secure than Facetime. However for "Grandma chats" most people don't care about encryption.

My kids use Facetime to talk to their Apple owning relatives and Skype for the Windoze owning relatives.