• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Verizon 4G LTE

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Just became available virtually statewide here in Vermont. Man, this is fast. Speedtest gave me a 10.1 Mbps download speed and 1.1 Mbps upload speed on my Android Thunderbolt! Almost as fast as my wifi hooked to my cable modem. Awesome. I will never want to go back to 3G. LOL.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
We got the 4g here at the first of the year and yes it is fast. Love my New Zipad with it.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
With AT&T's 'regular' 4G, I get 9.65Mbps download and 1.81Mbps upload on my iPhone 4S. I was really impressed when they turned it on. It sounds like getting the "LTE" won't mean anything to me.

RoadKing

Silver Member
Site Supporter
My wife's work phone is a new IPhone 4Gs. In the three months we've had it I'm yet to find a 4G signal. we live about 20 miles outside of Boston and have travelled to six states and have received no better than a 3G signal. The phone is amazingly fast but the signal indicator receives only a 3g signal here. Are you sure your getting a 4G signal outside the immediate area of a large city. I doubt it. Right now 4G is a scam as there is no signal outside of large cities.
The link below is the ATT 4G map coverage are the orange circles, below that is the Verizon map signal is in the yellow circles. What the phone companies are doing is selling a product they don't provide to raise enough $$$$ to provide it in the future.

$G att map just the orange spots

Attachments

• coverage_detail2.jpg
    coverage_detail2.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 85

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Up here we would be happy to just get a cell signal with any regularity from Verizon. You have to stop on top of certain hills to get 1 or 2 bars and then it drops half the time. No trouble once you get within a few miles of towns but not out here.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
My wife's work phone is a new IPhone 4Gs. In the three months we've had it I'm yet to find a 4G signal. we live about 20 miles outside of Boston and have travelled to six states and have received no better than a 3G signal. The phone is amazingly fast but the signal indicator receives only a 3g signal here. Are you sure your getting a 4G signal outside the immediate area of a large city. I doubt it. Right now 4G is a scam as there is no signal outside of large cities.
The link below is the ATT 4G map coverage are the orange circles, below that is the Verizon map signal is in the yellow circles. What the phone companies are doing is selling a product they don't provide to raise enough $$$$ to provide it in the future.

att map just the orange spots

Well, all I can say is this. The 4GLTE light comes on my Droid Thunderbolt where it used to say 3G. Download speeds have increased from 1MBps to over 10. A friend said yes, some towers started going 4G up here last week with the remaining ones over the last couple of days. Southern NH has had it since at least last Christmas when I was down in the Manchester NH area. I did some speed tests then at the Hilton Garden Inn at the ballpark and the tests were about the same as what I get up here. I find it odd Boston is not lit up yet. Maybe the phone? I dunno. I was shocked when I saw the 4G light on my phone. Maybe Big Red is playing games and just sending a 4G carrier signal to light up our phones but the faster download speeds sort of speak for themselves.

Last edited:

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter

att map just the orange spots

Have you done the latest upgrades to the phone on iTunes? After doing that a month or two ago, I get 4G just about everywhere; from Florida to CA. I'm flying out tomorrow morning to Napa, CA again. Last time I got 4G in San Fran, Sacramento, San Jose, Napa, Calistoga, Oakland and all around.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Gotta be the phone roadKing. We are always the last up here to receive any tech upgrades from the major providers. So, if we have it, the rest of world should too. :biggrin: I'd be willing to bet Big Red is a little slow on the draw updating that map.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
That map with the dots id deceiving. It shows the city centers where ATT 4G is.

I get 4G from just north of Sheboygan, WI, all the way down 43, 94, 294, 80/94 all the way home to Saint Joseph, MI.; 270 solid miles of full coverage. The coverage going west out of Chicago seems continuous all the way past Joliet. I also get 4G all the way up to Grand Rapids, another 90 miles north and east. The 4G never drops off. So that map is deceiving,

I love ATT 4G on my Atrix II droid..

This map on the ATT site shows coverage, and looking at it, coverage is even greater than what's indicated.
Boston seems to be 100% covered - better check your phone and what you are paying for - dark blue everywhere around Boston.
http://www.att.com/network/

Adillo303

Diesel Truck Fan
GOLD Site Supporter
I live in metro NYC area. I love my new Droid Razr MAXX. Honestly, it switches from 4G to 3G several times a day. While I can see a difference on 3G, if I got locked onto 4G i would have frequent outages in the many places even in NYC where the signal is not available.

RoadKing

Silver Member
Site Supporter
Have you done the latest upgrades to the phone on iTunes?

The phone belongs to my wife's work so I only use it for play.

Boston seems to be 100% covered - better check your phone and what you are paying for - dark blue everywhere around Boston.
http://www.att.com/network/

#1 I'm not paying for it. #2 I have no interest in a "smart" phone at this time I'm happy with my old unit that just makes phone calls.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
I live in metro NYC area. I love my new Droid Razr MAXX. Honestly, it switches from 4G to 3G several times a day. While I can see a difference on 3G, if I got locked onto 4G i would have frequent outages in the many places even in NYC where the signal is not available.

I have not noticed any switching back to 3G since the 4G icon lit up up here. I am totally surprised we got such widespread coverage. I did not expect so much so soon from Big Red.