• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Got a good and easy Duck Recipe?

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I inherited two Moscovy ducks (a drake and a duck actually). They aren't getting along with the Chickens so I'm going to eat them.

I haven't cooked a duck before and am not a super great chef so the recipe needs to be fairly simple.

Suggestions?

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
I aint much into fancy recipes, and dont like wasteing much time prepping any critters such as duck. So I always go to youtube for quick and easy. :wink:

The only thing worth eating IMHO is the breast, Heres a simple way to clean them, and a short vid of cooking the breast in a skillet.

The only other way I have had them is wrapped in bacon in the smoker, not to bad that way either. I aint no chef or connaisseur though, I only eat cuz I have to. :biggrin:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_BVYOhCocw"]cleaning a duck - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7YEAADV0Yk&feature=endscreen&NR=1"]How to cook the perfect duck breast - YouTube[/ame]

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Thanks guys, from googling around it looks like just using the breasts is pretty standard.

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
I inherited two Moscovy ducks (a drake and a duck actually). They aren't getting along with the Chickens so I'm going to eat them.
Doesn't pay to rock the boat around your house does it?

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks guys, from googling around it looks like just using the breasts is pretty standard.
I would have to disagree with just using the breast. The rest of the duck is pretty good. Tie the legs and wings tight against the body.

I just roast duck with a sauce. Store bought sauce is not too bad. Shove a couple oranges up its butt and you have fancy french cooking.

I agree with PG. NCT is a good source of information,

I grill the breast with the fat and skin left on, but is must be watched constantly. The fat will burn. Rare is good, rarer is better

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Doesn't pay to rock the boat around your house does it?

The duck hasn't laid any eggs and the drake ain't doing nuthin' but eating.

They are kind of entertaining to watch but at the end of the day if they aren't serving a purpose then they will be "served" elsewhere. :shifty:

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
How old are these ducks? Like chickens, I would guess that the older ones would only make good duck stock.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
They are about a year old. I'm looking for a crock pot recipe with lots of additional flavor (i.e. Oranges, cranberries, etc.). Something that will work even if the meat is less than optimal.

ramont

Check this one:

Duck casserole

Ingredients:

• 25g/1oz plain flour
  • 1 duck, jointed and skinned
  • 4 shallots, finely chopped
  • 100g/4oz mushrooms,finely chopped
  • 400ml/14fl oz beef stock
  • 225g/8oz shelled green peas
  • 1 teaspoon chopped fresh mint
  • salt and freshly ground black pepper
Preparation:

1. Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F/Gas mark 5.
  2. Season the flour with salt and pepper, and use to coat the duck.
    Put the shallots and mushrooms with the duck in a casserole dish.
  3. Add enough stock to cover, put on a lid and cook in the oven for 45 minutes.
  4. Add the peas and mint and continue cooking for a further 30 minutes until the duck is tender.
  5. Serve hot.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Finally dispatched the Drake - he was harassing the chickens too much and they weren't able to settle down and do any laying.

I just breasted him so I think I will try the Sous-vide recipe.

The duck went broody and I thought she was going to hatch some chicken eggs for me but just when the chicken eggs were due to hatch she selectively killed and ate them. She has about 6 fertile duck eggs that might hatch in the next week or two. I'll see how that goes and how good the sous-vide tastes. :shifty:

BTW - Muscovy drakes are kind of hard to kill with a .22 if you don't get a good head shot on the first try. They move around a lot once they are wounded and even repeated shots to the center back don't slow them down much. I need to practice movers with my .22 pistol more. ;)

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
I was wondering why you shot it instead of cuttng it's head off. But I guess you couldn't catch it, right?

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Well the Sous-Vide was a success for Mom and Dad.

The kids liked the Orange Teriyaki grilled more. I think they were apprehensive at first but once they got a nice chunk of meat they were all in.

Muscovy really is like Roast Beef with a finer texture. It didn't have much "duck" taste to it. The breasts were huge - easily a two meal bird.

I recommend Muscovy if it is ever offered to you - it was surprisingly good.