• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

How do you cook a thick Rib-eye?

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have a couple very thick rib-eyes. Looking for tips on how you would cook the perfect rib-eye.

I'm cooking them on the grill today but looking for tips on how you would cook them in the kitchen also.

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
I've cooked them using the broiler, I've pan seared as well as grilled before. Doc it is hard to screw up a good rib eye but I do prefer them grilled. Main thing is cooking time to get the doneness one wants.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I like to pan fry mine in butter, Doc, if using CI.
In a non-stick fry pan, I add a tiny bit of oil, then sear it on both sides, lower the temp, then keep turning until it's medium- medium rare.

I am sure the real cooking experts will weigh in more.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Doc,

Grill them till you get satisfactory grill marks, on a very hot grill.... About 4-5 minutes on each side, on a really hot fire. Put them in a pre heated oven @ 350 for 10-15 minutes till they reach desired doneness. The thicker the rib eye I think the easier to get it right, IMHO. A meat themometer can be a big help to check doneness.

Or you could turn down the fire a bit to say med-high, and cook them entirely on the grill too....But go slow my firend. Also don't forget to let the steaks rest for at least 5 minutes before serving. Much juicier, and won't leak out on the cutting board as much.

Enjoy,
Kirk

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I nuke mine for 2 minutes to help cook the inside a little. Then throw them on the grill on high and turn often. I have good luck if I don't let them on one side too long till turning over. Got sirloins thawing now for this afternoon.:clap:

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
I went and looked up a method I tried last time that Buzz at NetCookingTalk came up with called reverse seared. It makes a really good steak and I highly recommend it. I had saved the recipe when he first posted it but needed it in a format to pass along other than PDF. At any rate the instructions are at http://netcookingtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1513

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
2 minutes on a hot grill on each side is plenty for me no matter how thick the steak is, anything longer its ruined IMO. :smile:

I wont cook a steak other then on a grill, and when I did order steaks at 1 of the few places i would eat steaks other then home, I told them to "knock the horns off, wipe its ass and caller good". :biggrin:

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
"knock the horns off, wipe its ass and caller good". :biggrin:

I needed a good laugh this morning!:yum::yum::yum:

Kirk out

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Damn Cowboy! you would be happy with a fresh road kill and a propane torch.:whistling::yum::yum: Not me. I want mine cooked!

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
I have a Louisiana born and raised grand son in-law that wants it burnt to a cinder. I made one for him last year when I got some beautiful rib eyes. It broke my heart to take a stake to the level of and asphalt patch. Different strokes I guess but I like mine very rare also.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks guys. I have cooked them inside by searing them and then putting them in the oven @ 350 degrees until done. That works well. But today I think I'll try Buzz's reverse sear method.

Thanks Joe for the reminder about Buzz's reverse sear on NCT. I had forgotten about that one. Today is a good day to try the reverse searing method. Maybe even have some pics for later if I remember.

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks guys. I have cooked them inside by searing them and then putting them in the oven @ 350 degrees until done. That works well. But today I think I'll try Buzz's reverse sear method.

Thanks Joe for the reminder about Buzz's reverse sear on NCT. I had forgotten about that one. Today is a good day to try the reverse searing method. Maybe even have some pics for later if I remember.

It has worked out great for me the couple of times I've done it Doc. I save stuff like that in pdf format so it took me a while to find it on NCT.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I have a couple very thick rib-eyes. Looking for tips on how you would cook the perfect rib-eye.

I'm cooking them on the grill today but looking for tips on how you would cook them in the kitchen also.

Cowboy,
This method will give you the rare soft and tender interior with a blackeened crusty exterior ALA New York City style. The key is to have no moisture on the surface of the steaks.

First,take a towel and dry the surface of the steaks. Then use a mixture of dried garlic, dried onion, sea salt and some coarse pepper. Rub the steaks with this mixure and place on a plate.

(You can also use a prepared mix like Durkees Kansas City Steak seasoning.)

Put them in the freezer ( uncovered) for the fifteen minutes it takes to bring the grill up to heat. About 450 F.

Now place the very dry surfaced but cold steaks on the hot grill. Turn once when the grill marks show blackened. Turn once more if you like them medium, turn again if you like them well. About two minutes each turn.

Butter the just charred surface only right after you turn.

You can also do this in your oven broiler but I do not recommend the butter until after you remove the steaks from the oven. It will just smoke the kitchen and may flash fire and burn.

If you like a butter sauce, just put the seasoning mixture in a pan with some butter and mushrooms. Heat and then pour over the steaks.

Or

Melt butter in a pan, add fresh garlic and some sliced/diced onions. Sautee/Brown the onions and garlic until clear or slightly carmeled. Add the mushrooms, canned or fresh, some fresh ground pepper, salt to taste and stir.

For interest I often add diced celery and celantro to the butter sauce mix.

Always remeber to let the finished steaks settle (temper) for five minutes after cooking. Yes,it makes a difference.

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
Cowboy,
This method will give you the rare soft and tender interior with a blackeened crusty exterior ALA New York City style. The key is to have no moisture on the surface of the steaks.

First,take a towel and dry the surface of the steaks. Then use a mixture of dried garlic, dried onion, sea salt and some coarse pepper. Rub the steaks with this mixure and place on a plate.

(You can also use a prepared mix like Durkees Kansas City Steak seasoning.)

Put them in the freezer ( uncovered) for the fifteen minutes it takes to bring the grill up to heat. About 450 F.

Now place the very dry surfaced but cold steaks on the hot grill. Turn once when the grill marks show blackened. Turn once more if you like them medium, turn again if you like them well. About two minutes each turn.

Butter the just charred surface only right after you turn.

You can also do this in your oven broiler but I do not recommend the butter until after you remove the steaks from the oven. It will just smoke the kitchen and may flash fire and burn.

If you like a butter sauce, just put the seasoning mixture in a pan with some butter and mushrooms. Heat and then pour over the steaks.

Or

Melt butter in a pan, add fresh garlic and some sliced/diced onions. Sautee/Brown the onions and garlic until clear or slightly carmeled. Add the mushrooms, canned or fresh, some fresh ground pepper, salt to taste and stir.

For interest I often add diced celery and celantro to the butter sauce mix.

Always remeber to let the finished steaks settle (temper) for five minutes after cooking. Yes,it makes a difference.

One quick tip on using butter with steaks is make some Ghee. Ghee is an Indian/Asian version of clarified butter which is easy though takes a bit of time on the stove to do as you have to stand over it. I generally turn a pound of unsalted butter into a pint of ghee when I run low. It will keep almost forever in the refrigerator without problems. The smoke point of ghee is 485°F, 252°C which is higher than most oils also. If anyone is interested I can post the instructions on how to make your own.

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
Sure Kirk here it is:

How to Make Ghee

4 sticks (or 1 lb.) of regular, unsalted butter.

1. Melt the Butter in a pot on low heat.

In a few minutes, the butter will melt, the foam will rise to the top, and bubbles will be bursting.

2. Scoop the Foam From the Butter
Once the foam appears, lower the heat to an even lower degree and scoop off the foam with a spoon. Do this gently as you don't want to mix it. Try to get off as much foam as possible so it no longer is showing. Continue to cook the butter on a low heat for about 5-15 minutes, or until the butter becomes very clear and the milk solids on the bottom become a light brown.

3. Now turn the heat off and let the pot stand for 2 minutes, allowing everything to settle before straining everything into a jar through a coffee filter or a cheese cloth.

4. Once everything is in the jar, let it cool and solidify.

5. Now you can store the Ghee at room temperature for up to a year and refigerate for almost ever.

You can now use it a as a dip for lobster sauce, an Indian food, or as a substitute for any recipe at all that calls for butter.

A couple of other notes is dogs and cats love the foam so save it for them if you like. Also your kitchen will smell like butter popcorn for awhile which isn't bad at least to me.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
The steaks came out GREAT.

1st pic is right after they came out of the oven (20 minute pre sear).

Attachments

• IMG_1786r.JPG
    IMG_1786r.JPG
    64.7 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_1788r.JPG
    IMG_1788r.JPG
    57.3 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_1790r.JPG
    IMG_1790r.JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_1792r.JPG
    IMG_1792r.JPG
    66.1 KB · Views: 116

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
Yes it does look good Doc, I got some potatoes baking now in the oven as I decided on some steaks myself tonight.

tommu56

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm a little late but I heat up the grill on high all 4 burners on high for a bout 15 minuets. put the m on on to sear them about 6-8 minuets then turn 2 burners off and move them over to the off side to cook them through adjusting the burner as needed to get them done. I like mine done all the way through no red but juicy but not burnt on the outside.

tom

Catavenger

SUPER Site Supporter
I cook mine in an old iron pan with bacon & mushrooms a bit of butter is also good along with unskinned white home fried potatoes.

norscaner

Secret to a really good steak is let it age in the fridge for a week uncovered with garlic and seasoning. Fire up the BBQ really hot and sear the meat,depending on how well you want it done. Allow enough time to sear and cook then rest before serving.
There is no real way to destroy a steak my Mother in-law likes it cooked until it quits smoking then brush off the ash ...she still likes it.:ermm:

Last edited: