PDA

View Full Version : Norton Antivirus 2004 subscription expiring

JayC
08-19-2006, 04:32 PM
Ever since I got NAV 2004 a couple years ago, I was never able to keep the installation long enough to let the subscription expire. First, I got a new computer, then I had to reinstall Windows on that computer. Now, the subscription is due to expire on the 20th (tomorrow). What I was wondering, is, if I uninstall Norton and reinstall it, will my subscription reset for another year? Is there some other way I can reset the subscription without reinstalling (minus paying the $35 for a subscription)? $35 is rediculous. I might as well get a whole new stupid AV program, which I don't really want to do either. NAV 2004 still works good.

DaveNay
08-19-2006, 05:23 PM
Let your subscription expire.
Uninstall NAV POS software
Get on with your life.
Have fun.

AndyM
08-19-2006, 05:26 PM
Let your subscription expire.
Uninstall NAV POS software
Get on with your life.
Have fun.

5. Install AVG Free Edition
http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1

JayC
08-19-2006, 06:04 PM
5. Install AVG Free Edition
http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1

Can't say I can install AVG. The only AV software I had before NAV 2004 was NAV version 4.0 from 1997. When that didn't want to update anymore I removed it and installed AVG. Two days later it let some nasty homepage hijacker/trojan slip through. That caused me great headaches. I then got NAV 2004. I'm going to need something better than AVG.

Big Dog
08-19-2006, 08:03 PM
Ever since I got NAV 2004 a couple years ago, I was never able to keep the installation long enough to let the subscription expire. First, I got a new computer, then I had to reinstall Windows on that computer. Now, the subscription is due to expire on the 20th (tomorrow). What I was wondering, is, if I uninstall Norton and reinstall it, will my subscription reset for another year? Is there some other way I can reset the subscription without reinstalling (minus paying the $35 for a subscription)? $35 is rediculous. I might as well get a whole new stupid AV program, which I don't really want to do either. NAV 2004 still works good.
No it will not work. The software will continue to work but you get no updates so any future definitions will leave you open to newer viruses. Pay it or find a new AVS, $35 is cheap to avoid the headache if you catch something!

Junkman
08-19-2006, 09:15 PM
What are the opinions of the new Microsoft product that supposed to give virus protection? I believe that the cost is $45. I usually buy the Norton at Staples when they are clearing out the old to bring in the new. It happens about this time of the year. After rebate, it is free.... Junk..

Cityboy
08-20-2006, 06:43 AM
If your computer has ever been infected with a worm or virus, you will wish you had paid 10 times the $35 renewal fee. My new laptop came with Norton, and it expired. I went to the Norton online store and downloaded a two year subscription with all the bells and whistles for $85 and rest easy at night knowing I'm protected and recieve the latest definitions and protections from the scum bags out there who spend their days looking for ways to get in through the back door of your computer. This elcheapo and free AV software is not as good as the stuff you actually pay for, plus it lacks any online support if you actually have a problem. The Norton 2006 software is much improved over the 2004 version.

To me, AV software is like the ground wire in your homes electrical system. You can have a loose or inadequate or improperly connected ground for years and never have a problem....but when you actually do have a problem, you wind up with an empty lot where your house once stood. Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.