• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Does anyone know how to build a

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Lots of videos on youtube.

Basically, build a completely sealed, structure of some conductive material (ie. steel) and ground it. Put your stuff in it but at least a few inches from the exterior.

I've heard of gun safes and old microwaves being used as well.

loboloco

Ummm, what size? if building a room sized faraday, I would recommend lining the walls, roof and floor with chicken wire and aluminum foil.

SShepherd

......does it have to be grounded ? aluminium is a great conductor- how about aliminium screen?
goes the "cage" need to be isolated from whatever it touches by a non conducting material?

loboloco

......does it have to be grounded ? aluminium is a great conductor- how about aliminium screen?
goes the "cage" need to be isolated from whatever it touches by a non conducting material?
The soviets built theirs by simply embedding the wire and aluminum in concrete. I think the aluminum would need to be continuous though mesh would offer some degree of protection. I haven't built or designed a faraday in at least 2 decades but the wire and foil do work.
I will do a little research and get back to you.

loboloco

On a quick look, this is a fairly simple design.

http://www.ehow.com/how_6618709_build-faraday-cage.html

One other question, are you building a faraday to withstand EMP or to reduce the likelihood of electronic eavesdropping? They are two separate approaches and what will stop eavesdropping will not stand up to EMP.
And yes, any metal used to make a faraday has to be grounded in some form.