• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Anybody have a Motorola A1200?

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
The Motorola A1200 is a PDA, Blackberry, cell phone, camera, iPod all wrapped in one small phone that runs on Linux. I have never run Linux and know nothing about it. I was just wondering if anyone has one of these? I don't like carrying a large PDA. Several guys I know say that they love the Pop3 email in the Motorola A1200 and that it does so much. Comments?

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Dargo said:
The Motorola A1200 is a PDA, Blackberry, cell phone, camera, iPod all wrapped in one small phone that runs on Linux. I have never run Linux and know nothing about it. I was just wondering if anyone has one of these? I don't like carrying a large PDA. Several guys I know say that they love the Pop3 email in the Motorola A1200 and that it does so much. Comments?

I don't know anything about this particular product, but since it is a consumer product, I can guarantee that you wont have to know anything about "running Linux" anymore than you need to know about PalmOS or WinCE or SuperEmbeddedRazzle2006OS v1.34 Service pack 15. From your point of use, it will just be icons on the screen and letters and numbers you type in for names, numbers and dates.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm not familiar with it. I've owned several PDAs and 3 PDA/Blackberry/Cellphones/MP3 players (2 of which also had cameras). All have run on one or another version of the Palm OS.

One thing I would suggest is that you make sure the software to "sync" with your computer is easy to use. I think the OS of the unit is basically irrelevant, but the critical piece of software is the interface that allows the PDA to link with your computer. It should be fast, easy and it should have support because it is very likely that either your computer's OS or the PDA OS will be upgraded several times!

BTW, all of mine have had some form of MP3 player (featuring the Real Audio Player software), I've never loaded a song on any one of them so I can't attest to their iPod like abilities.

FWIW, my current unit is a TREO 650, I like it better than the TREO 600 I upgraded from and the Samsung 300 I had before that. I've tested a couple different Blackberry versions and while they had the best email function, I was unimpressed with their bulk, even the smallest versions. My friend bought 10 TREO 700 units (same as the 650 but runs Windows instead of Palm OS) and returned all of them because they didn't work well. They may be fixed by now?

Attachments

• Treo_small.jpg
    Treo_small.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 96

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Just for chuckles I did a search of the A1200.

It is not something I would buy. Just MY opinion, but it appears to be a 2 handed device. While PDAs are 2 handed devices, cell phones are one handed devices. That looks pretty much like it will take 2 hands for most of its functions. One of the things I appreciate about the Treo 650 is that most of its functions work well with only one hand. Further, while it has a stylus, and while I am proficient with a stylus and writing on a PDA screen, the Treo 650 can function perfectly without ever pulling the stylus out of the holder, and if you lose the stylus you will probably never miss it. The A1200 appears to require a stylus, and whenever you use a stylus you have a 2 handed appliance. Again, just my opinon. But I've owned 2 different Handspring PDAs, 2 PALM brand PDAs, plus the 3 previously mentioned smartphone/PDAs. If I don't have to use a stylus that is a good thing.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
I just broke my cell phone's antenna. Had it in my back pocket and sat on it. Today I looked at some different PDA's. I can't remember the brand name but it was a model 6600, (UtSet??) windows based and listed out around $700.00 Another one had the Palm Pilot software on it and was a bit less. My brochures are down at the office right now. Is the Palm Pilot the one using Linux then. I had one once with the Palm Pilot OS and it worked great with my computer. My cell phone I also use it as a modem to my laptop and then I can send faxes and dial into other computers with it. So what ever I buy I have to have that capability.

murph

AndyM

Charter Member
Boy, it's amazing to see what technology is out there now!
I'm still using a rotary cell phone... :(

Attachments

• cell phone.jpg
    cell phone.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 96

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Has anyone ever used the Audio Vox PPC6700. This brochure is for the 6600 but the 6700 is replacing it.

Attachments

• 20060817081534.pdf
    174.9 KB · Views: 85