• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Spilled Water = Dead Computer

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
So my lovely sister is her visiting from jolly old England and is staying with us during her visits. While sitting at the breakfast table going over the news she happened to spill her glass of water . . . INTO MY LAPTOP COMPUTER . . . the screen turned black. Its dead.

Fortunately it is an Apple MacBook. A quick call to "Apple Care" and they said they will fix it. Its covered under Apple Care.

So if you see that I am not posting much its because I'm waiting for a box to arrive so I can send off my computer for service. Hopefully will be back up and running in a week or so?

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Just take the wife's computer till it comes back. She won't whine as much as the daughter.:yum::yum::yum:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well my wife, seeing me go into electronic withdrawls, did kindly offer up her laptop. But its not the same, I don't have all my bookmarks, passwords, etc programmed into this one. And sometimes she takes it away from me . . . to do real work!

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Hitting the holidays you will be lucky to get it back before New Years. Bad time to have it happen.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Hitting the holidays you will be lucky to get it back before New Years. Bad time to have it happen.
My thoughts too. I'm expecting the box to arrive late today. If so I'll pack it up and get it out early tomorrow. But with the holidays I can only hope.

Ice Queen

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
You could borrow mine, it is not in use, but it is not an apple and windows don't fly! Neither do apples come to that, they only fall or get rained on. So sorry to hear about yours, hope it get mended soon.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have leisure laptops in 3 different rooms, but mine are lowly Windows machines, 2 obtained by corporate discarding .............. u need to invest in a spare ........ :)

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Did you tell Apple that you spilled water on it or did you just tell them it stopped working? I'm just curious if they cover accidental damage like that.

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
I have leisure laptops in 3 different rooms, but mine are lowly Windows machines, 2 obtained by corporate discarding .............. u need to invest in a spare ........ :)
Good idear, never know when somebody might leave one on the roof of a vehicle. :whistling: :ohmy: :hide:

Galvatron

Spock and Galvatron < one and the same
slap a hair dryer over it and all will be good...as for the English part there is no help...we are as useful as a chocolate tae pot :yum::yum::yum:

we do this shit on purpose:yum::yum::yum:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I thought Apple stuff is backed up on applecloud & so a replacement is up & running in minutes??
The computer shorted out and will not power up. Having data backed up to the iCloud doesn't help until after the computer can be restarted!

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Have you tried pulling the battery and baking it at 140 in the oven for 20 minutes?

grizzer

The computer shorted out and will not power up. Having data backed up to the iCloud doesn't help until after the computer can be restarted!

Applecloud is for the replacement machine after losing the original - Setting up the substitute is supposed to be automatic...

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Applecloud is for the replacement machine after losing the original - Setting up the substitute is supposed to be automatic...
Yes, I use the Apple backup software regularly.

Have you tried pulling the battery and baking it at 140 in the oven for 20 minutes?
Battery on this unit is non-removable.

buckle97

SUPER Site Supporter
Did you tell Apple that you spilled water on it or did you just tell them it stopped working? I'm just curious if they cover accidental damage like that.

I guess Bob's non-answer is the answer to your question:whistling:.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
OH, no. Sorry I missed the question.

YES, I did tell them it was a water spill.

I also got an email from them today that the computer is already fixed and they sending it back today via FED EX. Pretty darn good service. FED EX took it away on Monday, delivered it to Apple on Tuesday. Apple fixed it on Tuesday. Apple is shipping it today. FED EX should have it back to me on Thursday or Friday (depending on if someone is home to sign for the box on Thursday when they show up).

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
That's pretty cool then. I didn't know water spills were covered. Is this the basic warranty or an added warranty?

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Glad it covered. Extended service agreements tend to cover a multiple of issues. Last year I left a half dozen small finish nails in my shirt pocket. Went through the wash, worked through the strainer and lodged in the pump. Kept getting error codes on the display. Fixed for free and replaced the pump even though there was nothing wrong with the plastic impeller and the service tech let me keep it for a spare. How good is that! :clap:

Merry Christmas!!

jwstewar

My cousin's house took a power surge and fried their relatively new computer. Insurance bought them a new one. They gave me the old one for parts. After playing around with it, I determined the motherboard was bad. It was a Compaq (back pre-HP days) with their specialized components, so I had to call Compaq for the parts. I called them, first words out of my mouth were, I have model # XXXX, it was struck by lightening. I need to check on the price of a motherboard. They asked for a serial number. So I gave it to them, they came back and said that it was covered under warranty for another 6 months or whatever. They would send a repair tech to the house to install the motherboard the next day.:wow:When the tech came, he determined that the video card and sound card were also bad - I knew that, but was just planning on picking those up somewhere. I wasn't home, he ordered the parts from Compaq and then installed them the next day. Never had a lick of problems with that computer after that. We were still using it up until our house fire.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Apple has returned my computer. Cleaned it up really nice. No charge for the repair. I shipped it out on Monday. FED EX made the first delivery attempt to return it to me yesterday...nobody home. They re-delivered it this morning. Its running as fast as when it was new. My sister's life has been spared.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Apple has returned my computer. Cleaned it up really nice. No charge for the repair. I shipped it out on Monday. FED EX made the first delivery attempt to return it to me yesterday...nobody home. They re-delivered it this morning. Its running as fast as when it was new. My sister's life has been spared.

Wow, that's great to hear. You know Apple has had some major customer service issues in the last 6 to 9 months or so, and that's putting it mildly. I had some issues (that progressively got worse) on my iPhone 4S since I got it. Apple played the same play each time; they would stall around for about 45 minutes until you actually got to speak to a "tech support" rep and then, each time, they managed to drop the call and never call back. Absolutely pathetic!

This time things were different. My phone is far worse and I'm laid up after knee surgery with nothing else to do. I'll just give you the reader's digest version and the facts. First, it took just over 11 hours of my time to get a replacement phone on the way. During that time I spoke with 24 different people and was 'mysteriously' disconnected (while I'm calling from a land line) 7 times.

When I FINALLY got to a 'senior' Apple support tech, he admitted that they are aware that they have "severe" problems (he said customer surveys of how they liked their support are unbelievable) with customer support due to their fast sales growth. Most polls and tech sites pretty well agree that even HP has better support than Apple right now. Fortunately, this senior support tech, after he read all the notes from just TODAY, immediately ordered a replacement phone for me and waived that extremely annoying $29.95 fee. He did tell me that they are now doing "intensive" re-training and making more changes in support staff than any time in their history. Hopefully I'll see a new phone soon. It takes 3 or 4 tries to call out, it doesn't ring most of the time, and it almost always drops the call; no matter where in the country I am.

I'm glad to see that they are beginning to make strides to correct their terrible service, but I now really fear what would happen if my new iMac I use for work goes out. My calm, even tone but persistant, calls to Apple would likely become quite animated and potentially rude if I get the same treatment. I expressed as much to the senior support tech who finally helped me and he sent me his personal cell number just in case that happens. I only hope he stays employed there. My case today will be used as an example of what will get you fired to new techs. He even likened their situation to GM; relying on past quality and taking their customers for granted. Then add a rush of new customers, and that spells customer support hell for the consumer!

I'm curious Bob, were you calm and mild like I was today or did you threaten to rip their fucking heads off and shit down their throats if they didn't fix your system? Maybe the polite method only gets you ignored and dropped.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Not sure about iPhones and customer support but I've never had any problem with Apple customer support for computers.

Two different divisions I presume.

Calm, by the way. They were polite and helpful. Took less than 5 minutes on the phone for them to determine that they were going to send a box to repair the computer.