• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Restaurant NOT in your town

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
It seems like a lot of people around here travel frequently. Obviously, this means you eat out a restaurants a lot. Hopefully, you even occasionally get to eat at a nice restaurant.

What suggestions do you have for a good restaurant that is NOT in your hometown? Hopefully, it is near a fellow FF member.

I have two.....

For BoneHeadNW: Salty's on Alki Beach Seafood Grill in Seattle. Hands down, the best fish I have ever had. Copper River King Salmon that was in season, fresh caught that same day.

For PBinWA: Who-Song & Larry's Mexican in Vancouver. The food was very good, not spectacular. What you have to hear though is the Guacamole song! They sing it as they make fresh guacamole at your table, and it is hilarious.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Trenton, NJ: Sal De Forte's Ristorante This place only seats about 30 people, but their Italian food is first rate. I think this is literally a remodelled home, turned into a restaurant. I had the Chicken Franchese, and my co-worker had a pasta with spicy red sauce and clams.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
DaveNay said:
For BoneHeadNW:

Hey Bonehead, do they still have the Skippers Fish places out there. They worked their way to Minnesota, I loved the place and then one day they all packed up and well don't know but I know they originated out west there someplace. I even had the chance to eat there last time out in Oregon, gee that is 12 years ago.

murph

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
My offerings ..................

Messina's ............ Kenner, Loozyana ..... for oysters on the half shell and Italian

George's ......... Baton Rouge, Loozyana ..... Best fried oysters and Po-boys anywhere

Knotty Pine on the Bayou ......Newport, KY ......... for Cajun outside Loozyana

Tumbleweed ........... KY & OH .....the Cowboy Cut is the BOMB!

Marilyn's Hot Rod Cafe ........... Lynchburg, VA ......Best Biker Bar I've ever been in, all the food is good!

Kleiner Deutschmann ............ Springdale, PA .......Can you say German, the veal shank is wonderful

Last edited:

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Waikiki: La Mer

Las Vegas:
Del Frisco's Steak House
Okada
Le Cirque

Key Biscayne: Cioppino

Key West: Louie's Back Porch

Atlanta: Cheetah's :whistle:

Kona-Kohala Coast of the Big Island of Hawaii: Pahu i'a

Portland, OR: Sweetwater's Jam House (very casual, but great food)

beds

Hatteras NC: Bubba's BBQ My first real BBQ
Manhattan Beach CA: El Torasco - cheap, authentic, hole-in-the-wall Mexican
Manhattan Beach CA: Wahoo's - must have the fish tacos!
Manhattan NY: Ginger Man - best beer bar. Located around Empire State bldg.
Times Sq. NY: Virgils - great BBQ

http://www.bubbasbbque.com/

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
DaveNay said:
For PBinWA: Who-Song & Larry's Mexican in Vancouver. The food was very good, not spectacular. What you have to hear though is the Guacamole song! They sing it as they make fresh guacamole at your table, and it is hilarious.

WTF? I am so boring and uninspiring it isn't funny.

My recommendations: McDonalds anywhere. Starbucks anywhere. Otherwise go to a convenience store. My employers used to love my expense reports - I am one cheap ass traveller.:D

I have eaten at lots of "good" restaurants around the world but I'm really bad 'cause I can never remember their names.

If you are ever in Steveston, WA I would recommend dinner at the Skamania Lodge - it is very good.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Big Dog said:
My offerings ..................

Messina's ............ Kenner, Loozyana ..... for oysters on the half shell and Italian

George's ......... Baton Rouge, Loozyana ..... Best fried oysters and Po-boys anywhere

There really isn't a lot of bad food in Lousiana. I've had some awesome po-boys (sp?) from what would seem to be questionable places. I think the locals keep the quality high down there. I've eaten at that "Bam" guy's places in New Orleans and that famous really old place in New Orleans too - those were really good (of course). There's that place that makes those good french donut things too.

Did I mention that I can never remember the names of restaurants? I can walk you to them but couldn't give you directions. :eek:

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Okay, more seriously, I like Morton's Steak House in Chicago. They have great steaks there.

Smuggler's Cove in Grand Cayman - Better yet; how about a picture of a FF shirt being worn at one of the very hard to reserve terrace tables there? And, in the background (as the sun sets), a picture of Paul Allen's yacht "Octopus". :thumb:

Attachments

• ATT00074.jpg
    ATT00074.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 215
  • ATT00071.jpg
    ATT00071.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 214

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
PBinWA said:
There really isn't a lot of bad food in Lousiana. I've had some awesome po-boys (sp?) from what would seem to be questionable places. I think the locals keep the quality high down there. I've eaten at that "Bam" guy's places in New Orleans and that famous really old place in New Orleans too - those were really good (of course). There's that place that makes those good french donut things too.

Did I mention that I can never remember the names of restaurants? I can walk you to them but couldn't give you directions. :eek:

Yeah, Loozyana is the place to eat ...... and BTW it's Cafe' Du Monde

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Big Dog said:
Yeah, Loozyana is the place to eat ...... and BTW it's Cafe' Du Monde
I was going to list a couple places down there that I eat in when I'm there but I am not sure if they are open. :confused: I've not been there since Katrina, I had a couple trips scheduled to go there for business but they were relocated to other locations due to Katrina.

Glink

Site Supporter
Louisville or Cincy; Morton's Steak House, or Buckhead's
Scottsburg IN. Jeeves and Co. (This is a 4 star sleeper)
New Orleans; Ralph and Cackoo's (not sure of spelling)
San Diego; Ruth Chris, Bonita General Store
Bend Oregon; Deschutes Brewery
Anderson SC. Sullivans
Decatur Al. Simp McGhee's
Galesburg, Il. The Packing House
Greenville Mi. The Winter Inn.
Anywhere; Macaroni Grill

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I think Ruth's Chris (sp?) and Morton's are pretty good anywhere. The one's in Portland, OR are both very good. The Ruth's in Orlando was good. I think I've been to one somewhere else too and it was good.

My wife loves the "Houston's" chain of restaurants. I think they are pretty good too.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Glink said:
New Orleans; Ralph and Cackoo's (not sure of spelling)
Ralph & Kakoo's (Baton Rouge and Houston also)........... Best fried soft shell crab you'll find anywhere ..... :D

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
PBinWA said:

Paul Prudhomme's mama has a place on I49 on the north side of Lafayette that is great. I hope it is still there, been several years since I've been there.

P

Pigtails

Texas Roadhouse-there's a few around. We've been to the one's in Salt Lake City, Idaho Falls, and Cheyenne, Wy. All very good. :thumb:

BoneheadNW

HGM

I usually try to stop at JAlexanders when I'm near one, typicaly in Hoover Al. When I'm in Dearborn, I try to get by BT's Mongolian Grill. Its more of a unique dining experiance than anything else. You go to a buffet of raw meats and veggies, put them in a bowl with your choice of seasonings and oils then take it to the cooks do be cooked on a hotplate in the middle of the resturant.. If its not good, you have noone to blame but yourself... :pat:

Add, Leagal Seafood in Boston and DC is a must. And Sticky Fingers BBQ in Wilmington was pretty good too.. I try to stay away from the national chains and try something different when I travel, but its not always practical..

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Sweetwater Tavern - Falls Church, VA (Near DC)

American cuisine and has it's own brewery. The food and beverage is excellent.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I had an amazing meal while in Las Vegas at a very unexpected spot. A new restaurant called SOCIAL HOUSE in the Treasure Island. It is an Asian Fusion/Sushi restaurant, very trendy, and absolutely amazingly good food. I was actually stumped & stunned by the range of the dishes offered on the menu, it was divided into several sections, which made things a bit easier. But if you have a chance SOCIAL HOUSE is a great spot to go for dinner with a small group.

The great thing about going with a few people is that they serve their dishes in a semi-Dim Sum or Tapas style with small portions. It makes it very easy for 3 or 4 people to order 6 to 8 different dishes and share them all.

If you are half way adverturous, simply ask the waiters (there are 2 per table) to ask the chef to make up a meal for you, that is what I did. Executive chef Joseph Elevado did not disappoint us, in fact he made us one of the best meals I've ever eaten. He seemed to send out his signature dishes and the worst part about the meal was eating something amazing, only to have it surpassed by the next course. The dinner was pretty expensive, the cost per person was comfortably over $100, plus tip, and we didn't have much to drink. But wow it was worth every penny. I'd also say that you could hold the meal price down to under $50 per person (with drinks) if you wanted to, but when you let the chef make up your menu you usually end up taking out a second mortgage on the house. Sometimes that is worth it.

Attachments

• int07.jpg
    int07.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 122
  • int05.jpg
    int05.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 121
  • int03.jpg
    int03.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 121

BoneheadNW

I don't know, Bob. If I walk into a restuarant and don't see any other people in there, that's usually not a good sign.
Bonehead

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
BoneheadNW said:
I don't know, Bob. If I walk into a restuarant and don't see any other people in there, that's usually not a good sign.
Bonehead

Another bad sign is when there is one in the window saying "Help Wanted - All Shifts Waiters, busboys, and cooks."

BoneheadNW

Bob, the other thing that would make me nervous in the restaurant you pictured is the lights. Living in earthquake-prone areas all my life, you notice things that might fall and hit you upside-the-head! Of course, I am partly immune because of my bone head.:hide:
Bone

P

Pigtails

Bob,
Nice pics. I'm glad you had fun. Must've won at the big wheel? But like Bonehead said, Not alot of people. But with that price per meal, it must be for the "rich and famous". :yankchain:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Just to set the record straight, the photos are publicity photos from the website of the restaurant. I don't normally take photos of empty dining rooms when I go out to eat :respect:

As for the rich & famous eating there. I gather they do that. There were photos of several celebs. I'm not a celebrity watcher so for all I know they could sit one next to me and I wouldn't bother. And while I did spend a tidy sum trying all sorts of dishes, it would be very reasonable to get out of there at half the price I paid if you ordered a normal dinner instead of asking the chef to make up a multi-course meal. (I think we had 8 courses, plus dessert). I just enjoyed the food. In fact I'll be back to Las Vegas in February for more meetings and have this restaurant on my 'hit list' of places I'm planning to go to.

Durwood RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
Back 40 junction in Decatur, indiana. It's a buffet and about as good as it gets for my tight wad butt. I also hear Burbanks down by Cincy has the best ribs but i haven't eaten there yet.

Dur