• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Need a new TV - Help...

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
Okay, so my (not so) old Sony TV shit the bed and cannot be fixed. It was a tube type, non HD, or any of that such stuff.

I went over to Best Buy (yeah, I know :ermm:) to look at TVs. Apparently all you can buy now is a flat screen, HD units. They were telling me I needed to buy a TV, Blue-Ray player and an audio unit (because the speakers in the new TVs suck). WTF?

Questions:

1. Will 3-plug RCA connections still hook into a new TV? (Satellite, Wii, DVD, etc.) Do I need to replace all of this now, TOO?!
  2. Do I need to have HD programming to view anything?
  3. What does all of the 1080, 780, ddp or what ever mean?
  4. I just want to replace my 32" Sony TV. Help....

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
Okay, so my (not so) old Sony TV shit the bed and cannot be fixed. It was a tube type, non HD, or any of that such stuff.

I went over to Best Buy (yeah, I know :ermm:) to look at TVs. Apparently all you can buy now is a flat screen, HD units. They were telling me I needed to buy a TV, Blue-Ray player and an audio unit (because the speakers in the new TVs suck). WTF?

Questions:

1. Will 3-plug RCA connections still hook into a new TV? (Satellite, Wii, DVD, etc.) Do I need to replace all of this now, TOO?!

Well now many areas have over air HD such as Lexington does but you will need an antenna as well as a HD TV to get it. Now my older tape recorded movies and play work fine on mine so I don't think you would have to replace them as most can hook up with standard RCA type jacks or other ways. Now I have DirecTV so not a problem getting most of my programs in HD. I also have Blu Ray and once you have seen it you might not want to ever go back.

I highly recommend you find a set you like then see if Tiger Direct has it in their stock and you can save quite a bit. They had some 46" models with all the bells and whistles pretty cheap over the holidays. I was thinking about replacing my 50" projection TV in my living room but it still works great so I didn't this year. I'm a big fan of the new thin line TV. Oh and their is 3D now also though it would be lost on me with only one eye.

jpr62902

Jeanclaude Spam Banhammer
SUPER Site Supporter

Questions:

Almost every tv I've looked at in the past year or so has connections for 75 ohm (cable), s-video, composite video (1 RCA video cable), component video (RGB), L & R stereo, HDMI (HD vid and sound in 1 wire) and DVI as well as a coax (RCA) digital out for Dolby surround.

1080, 780 are lines of resolution. If followed by an "i" it means interlaced, meaning the screen refreshes every other line at a time. If a "p" it means progressive, meaning the lines of resolution refresh all at the same time.

Just make sure you get a refresh rate of at least 120hz. 60hz sux for watching sports.

grizzer

1080 or 720 refer to the horizontal lines of resolution. 720 is fine for 32" or less tv's. 1080 is generally for 42" and larger.

Non HD sources original 4:3 ratio will appear "square" on a HD tv 16:9 ratio, a black stripe on both ends, as there is not enough data to fill all the way across the screen.

Your laptop vga connector will plug into the tv but no audio, a desktop pc dvi connector is the same no audio. The newer smaller thin rectangular hdmi has both video and audio.

The new tv's are all digital, but they have internal analog to digital converters to fix analog input signals.

If your new tv has built-in wi-fi you can surf right from your house internet wi-fi router.

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
Okay, some good basic education stuff here.

But-- Will my 3-wire RCA peripherals plug into a new TV or no? (Video, L&R audio - Yellow, white, red)

jpr62902

Jeanclaude Spam Banhammer
SUPER Site Supporter
Okay, some good basic education stuff here.

But-- Will my 3-wire RCA peripherals plug into a new TV or no? (Video, L&R audio - Yellow, white, red)

Yup. Just look for RCA (or composite) video input and stereo input.

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
Not to derail the thread, but can anyone tell me what good are having all of these new huge bigscreens ? First off I think they suck, but I dont like change. :glare:

We have 2 of the newer flatscreens 19 & 24 inch , both are full screen until we put in a DVD, then the picture is only about half the sreen tall but as wide as the tv. If I wanted a smaller tv I would have bought one, plus with either of the tv's turned up full blast you still cant here them WTF. :unsure:

I have messed with all of the settings I am aware of but am I missing something ?

I finally hooked up an old pioneer amplfier to our biggest tv that will play the sound through our 12" house speakers while watching a DVD, that makes it like surround sound but its a pain having remotes for the tv and dvd and still have to control the volume manually. :hammer:

REDDOGTWO

Unemployed Veg. Peddler
SUPER Site Supporter
Not to derail the thread, but can anyone tell me what good are having all of these new huge bigscreens ? First off I think they suck, but I dont like change. :glare:

We have 2 of the newer flatscreens 19 & 24 inch , both are full screen until we put in a DVD, then the picture is only about half the sreen tall but as wide as the tv. If I wanted a smaller tv I would have bought one, plus with either of the tv's turned up full blast you still cant here them WTF. :unsure:

I have messed with all of the settings I am aware of but am I missing something ?

I finally hooked up an old pioneer amplfier to our biggest tv that will play the sound through our 12" house speakers while watching a DVD, that makes it like surround sound but its a pain having remotes for the tv and dvd and still have to control the volume manually. :hammer:

It is called wide screen, it enables you to see a wider width and the entire picture that was taken.

A good example of a television movie that was only shown in wide screen or some other cutting edge technology of the time was How The West Was Won.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I had the problem with the partial screen till we went to HD on the new TV's. Now I would not want to go back. The new TV's are good for old eyes. Might want to get an eye exam Cowboy.:whistling:The new doc lady I saw yesterday wants me to go for a more in depth eye exam as well as some other tests. Said something about glaucoma and another big word.:hammer:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm kind of with Rusty in thinking of checking Craigslist.

I too was in BestBuy doing the same thing last night. Too many options in the TV's and the technology is changing too fast. After the sales guy and I kicked around my needs and such, it came down to just get one of their cheap(er) ones. They have all kinds of gizmos on them now but he said they all have a lifespan of about 7-8 years (give or take).

Knock on wood, my tube TV's are still working fine. I think I'll stick with them.

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
Probably the best way to decide is go into a store with the various brand connected and on. Now pick the one that looks best to your eyes get the brand, make, model and shop for the best price.

Now to cowboys question I have 3 TV. The 50" in the living room a 30" in my bed room and a 24" in the front bedroom. The 50" is about the maxim I could use in my living room but I got it for a great price used so I took it. It replaced a 42" TV which when I change it I will go back too that size. Muleman answered your question on the wide screen format which I tend to use one of the stretch and fit sizes on my TV if the lines bother me. I might add they do bother me on the 24" & 30" sets but not on the 50".

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Will 3-plug RCA connections still hook into a new TV? (Satellite, Wii, DVD,
etc.) Do I need to replace all of this now, TOO?!

Yes, there will be a few of the old RCA style jacks on the newer TV, better ask the salesperson how many. Some more than others. You should not have to replace any of your existing equipement.

Do I need to have HD programming to view anything?

No. Standard Definition TV will work on your new TV.

What does all of the 1080, 780, ddp or what ever mean?

This refers to the "line of resolution" that the TV signal has. 720 & 1080 is HD quality signal. 480 is SD quality.

I just want to replace my 32" Sony TV. Help....

I don't blame you. :biggrin: Places like Sam's club or Costco have great prices and a generous return policy if it turns out the new TV is not for you. I would suggest a 40" set like a Samsung for around 500 bucks or so. Good luck.

Rusty Shackleford

Automotive M.D.
SUPER Site Supporter
Knock on wood, my tube TV's are still working fine. I think I'll stick with them.

My 1990 Mexico-built Philco TV works as good as the day it was new, short of a broken plastic button. Never had any repairs needed, either. I just don't see the point in buying a TV, that is priced like they are now, with an expiration date. But that's just me.

Gatorboy

We have 2 of the newer flatscreens 19 & 24 inch , both are full screen until we put in a DVD, then the picture is only about half the sreen tall but as wide as the tv.

Make sure your DVD player is set to widescreen TV. From the sound of it, it thinks it's on the old 4:3 size screen, so it's putting the letter-box on the top and bottom.

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
Make sure your DVD player is set to widescreen TV. From the sound of it, it thinks it's on the old 4:3 size screen, so it's putting the letter-box on the top and bottom.
Thanks GB, now that you mention it I dont know if I checked the settings on the DVD players theirselves, I'll give that a look. I never ran into the problem untill I updated the tv's so I figured thats where the problem was. :unsure:

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
Thanks again for the input. I'm getting a little more educated on this subject.

Another question: Is it worth buying a "good" one versus a "cheap" one since the life expectancy is so short anyway? I prefer to buy quality, but if a TV is now considered a disposable commodity, I'd rather not just throw money away...

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Thanks again for the input. I'm getting a little more educated on this subject.

Another question: Is it worth buying a "good" one versus a "cheap" one since the life expectancy is so short anyway? I prefer to buy quality, but if a TV is now considered a disposable commodity, I'd rather not just throw money away...

I've always had a philosophy that you don't buy the cheapest or the most expensive. A good mid grade TV should serve your purposes well. I know it does for me.

Rusty Shackleford

Automotive M.D.
SUPER Site Supporter
I've always had a philosophy that you don't buy the cheapest or the most expensive. A good mid grade TV should serve your purposes well. I know it does for me.

Perfect statement right there in this situation.

Av8r, I would recommend Vizio as a brand to take a look at. They are reasonably priced, and great performers. I know several folks, me being one of them, who have a Vizio flatscreen, and have never had any issues. Just some personal experience for you. (BTW I only have this as I won it from a 3 dollar investment on a punchboard :D )

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Perfect statement right there in this situation.

Av8r, I would recommend Vizio as a brand to take a look at. They are reasonably priced, and great performers. I know several folks, me being one of them, who have a Vizio flatscreen, and have never had any issues. Just some personal experience for you. (BTW I only have this as I won it from a 3 dollar investment on a punchboard :D )

Yup. Costco is big on Vizio. They have a great return policy as well. If you have a Costco near to you it is worth the effort to check them out. :biggrin: